“The most beautiful hotel in Ireland” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Belleek Road, Enniskillen BT93 7ED, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Enniskillen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“The most beautiful hotel in Ireland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

I had never even heard of the Lough Erfne Golf Resort before we went here. We stayed in the lodges beside the hotel overlooking the lough. Everything about the hotel and our stay was perfect. Breakfast was fabulous, staff were so so friendly and accomodation was fantastic. I couldn't believe how reasonable it was for 5 star luxury. The golf course is supposed to be spectacular although I don't play so can't confirm that! I would recommend to anyone for a nice long relaxing break away and can't wait to go back....

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

I stayed here on Tuesday night 3rd March as I was on business in Northern Ireland. I generally find I can get a room at a nice hotel for a good price midweek (e.g. Radisson Limavady, Clandeboye Lodge), and I managed to get the Lough Erne for £80 B&B. I believe they do offers from time to time. I need to stay at a hotel which offers wireless internet so I can do my e-mails at night, rather than a B&B.

There is a long approach to the hotel which dissects the golf course (looks very nice), and goes past new-build lakeside cottages and houses (which look top end but are a bit close together).

The hotel is very imposing with ample parking and I nice entrance. The outside walls look a bit unfinished, like they are being prepared for being pebble-dashed, but it doesn't really matter. The interior is first class, spotless with beautiful furnishings and very professional, attentive staff who remember your name during your stay. Check-in is seamless.

The lounge area by the reception overlooks the lake and there is a lovely patio where one could imagine sitting outside on a warm summer's evening or after a round of golf.

I had booked a Courtyard room as it was cheaper but my room actually overlooked the lake. There are complimentary binoculars, dressing gowns, lovely toiletries, magazines, good choice of TV channels. Internet access is easy with a code from reception (and free). There is an iron & ironing board.

Within about 2 minutes of me being in the room, a porter was up with 2 bottles of complimentary mineral water, and a couple of chocolates. A nice touch.

Layout is also nice, they put in a wing back chair and round table so you can watch TV, a bit like having a little suite.

The bathroom is as nice as I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. Shower was great. All modern fixtures and fittings with a classical twist.
Loads of fluffy towels. Water was piping hot.

The bed was really comfy and one thing I noticed was that maybe the walls were soundproofed as I didn't hear a thing all night. So I slept like a log.

My only criticism is the ridiculous price of the food. There was a snack / sandwich menu (e.g. tuna sweetcorn wrap £8, vegetarian wrap £9), but no "bar snack" menu - you only get a "fine dining" menu. Oh my word - £32 for fillet steak (they try to make it sound very glamorous), £28 for salmon, similar for venison, truffles. A pasta dish was the cheapest at £18. On top of this, side orders for chips or mash for £4 and seasonal vegetables were £5. A bottle of Peroni from the mini bar was £3.90. I am not daft and I know that mini bar prices are always at a premium but this left a slightly sour taste. So I went into Enniskillen (5 minutes drive) and got a couple of beers and a take-away and ate in my room for the princely sum of £10, watching Liverpool v Sunderland on sky sports. Call me a skinflint but in today's economic climate 99% of people do not have £45 to throw at steak and chips and a pint.

Breakfast was fantastic. The freshest produce, and the full Irish was very nice. Lovely meats and yoghurts to choose from.

I left my phone charger in the room and called back and sure enough it was in reception when I rang, handed in.

Basically I think they are aiming at a top class corporate clientele who want a golf, dining, spa and all-round luxury experience. I know a lot of Americans come over golfing and one cannot help thinking this is right up their street. The food prices are probably to keep it very exclusive, which is fine, but no good for a solo traveller on a business budget.

All in all it really was a memorable stay. I will definitely stay again in summer and hopefully get a round in after my customer appointments. Enniskillen enjoys about 30 minutes more daylight than England, as it is about 150 miles further west, so in summer there would be plenty of evening light.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

Great hotel. Everything brandspanking new. Bar food fantastic. Restaurant food also great but a bit overpriced. Pool area very good and always quiet when I was there (weekdays). Fitness suite a little small for the size of the hotel. Wife used the spa and loved it. Golf course not finished yet but setting is awesome, and good for a walk round. Rooms are big and luxurious. Always found service very good. Staff polite, and even jumpstarted my car on the last day, when my battery had gone flat. Will be even better when other parts of the complex currently being built are finished.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

An absolutely gorgeous hotel - can hardly believe such a stunning almost brand new hotel in such an astoundingly gorgeous location exists in NI. Something to do with golf I imagine, but I don't play so I couldn't comment even if the new Faldo course was open and finished.

I would well recommend a stay here, was so pleasantly surprised by the standard. Picture perfect setting, close to Enniskillen, attentive staff, beautiful decor (very much emulating the syle you would expect in a 300 year old hotel but still lovely), gorgeous spa, spacious rooms etc. It is however pricey so it is a case of weighing up the price you pay against that standard. We got a fairly late deal for a Sunday night in March, under £100 for a double room incl. breakfast which made the hotel a very good deal. We did however get given a room with a disabled bathroom which does hamper the romance and luxury look. It was a gorgeous room though and included loads of literature about the area and what to see and do etc which was great. The hotel turns down the beds at night and leaves bottles of water and chocolates which is lovely.

Breakfast was good, lots of choice, but probably a lower standard than expected. Don't mind the fact it was a buffet but was surprised to not have table service. Food was very standard - no little touches such as 'premium' sausages that you would expect in a 5 star hotel. Service was also bordering excruciating slow. Was half-way through the meal before we got our coffee and it was another 5 minutes before we saw toast. May have actually been better if these items were also on a buffet basis!

Didn't eat in the restaurant, and was put off lunch in the bar by the 'grazing menu', pricey (from about £16 pp for food) and a bit odd, a nice gastro pub style menu would be much more appropriate.

We had a few drinks in the bar - very pleasant bar and probably very nice in summer when doors to the terrace are open. Flat screen with sky sports and nice big fire etc. Beer/ wine about £5 a drink which wasn't too bad. But again service was slow. Ordered first drink at bar and being a nice hotel of course they said they'd bring them over but this took about 15 minutes - not ideal.

Checkout also involved a 20/30 minute queue. Plenty of staff offering to take my very small overnight bag out to the car 100m away but only 2 people on the very small reception desk.

However a little bit of slow service doesn't bother me, it's a country/lake resort not a city centre business hotel. All in all would definitely recommend as a great luxury night away and will definitely be back.

Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

We booked a lodge at the Lough Erne hotel as it was my mothers 60th birthday and we wanted to go away as a family to somewhere really special to celebrate.

Unfortunately, dealing with the hotel, prior to and on arrival, deflated our excitement before we even got to the lodge. We had not received email confirmation of our booking and my husband phoned on several occasions for this to be sent through urgently. After chasing – an email came through the day before we were due to arrive. On arrival, the staffs attitude and proficiency was poor and disappointing, most definitely not the 5 star grading it claims to be.

However, once we finally made it to our lodge – the décor and quality impressed us all. Although it must be pointed out – the position of our lodge (No. 15 - which was picturesquely down at the Lough edge) meant that there was no direct car access and we had to park at the top of the hill and struggle with our suitcases up and down the flights of stairs. Last weekend, the weather was atrocious and between snow storms, rain and gale force winds, this made coming and going from the lodge extremely unpleasant. Obviously the hotel has no control over the weather, but parking at the front door would have been preferable (some do but not all).

The décor and quality inside the hotel and lodge was definitely 5 star. But unfortunately we all felt the outside lacked the same level of quality. We appreciate that this is still a relatively new hotel and work and landscape is probably still to be fully completed. Some colour with flowers and greenery with plants would be nice around the lodges as its completely concrete and grey.

On two separate occasions, staff arrived in unexpectantly into the lodge, which shocked the few family members that were alone in the lodge at the time. There was no door bell.

Our experience in the thai spa was definitely 5 star, this includes both staff and treatments.

Dinner in the Catalina restaurant was fantastic and again the breakfast was superb.

We just hope that in time this hotel will improve and become the 5 stars it says it is. Personally we just felt the quality of service let the star rating drop.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights in this lovely 5 star resort. We are not golfers so the hype about the "Faldo golf course" didn't really appeal. It isn't finished yet and is due open in July 2009. Dut to the ongoing constuction on the course the ground around the hotel was a bit muddy. Didn't help that it rained for the 2 days!

The hotel itself is really nice, lovely open spaces with comfy couches and fires. The restaurant is fantastic, the food delicious and the staff really helpful. Breakfast is served in the restaurant each morning and it was really tasty! There is a cold buffet - tonnes of choice and also an a la carte hot breakfast menu.

The rooms are a good size. We had a lakeview room and each room has a pair of binoculars to take a look at the lake wildlife. The bathrooms are lovely with a beautiful roll top free standing bath.

We also used the spa. This is probably were I was a little bit disappointed. Not alot of guidance from the reception on the facilities. We both had different treatment but essentially it was a body massage. The relaxation room was very pretty but cold!

We had a lovely weekend in Lough Erne Gold Resort and would recommend it!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

The setting of this hotel is 5 star make no mistake about that, If you are a golfer I'd imagine this would be close to perfect. The building and fixtures and fittings are brand new and staff and service where good, that said I came away thinking I would expect more from a 5 star hotel and felt slightly disappointed over all.
This may sound anal but in a five star hotel I don't expect breakfast to be self service, I expect to order it and have it freshly cooked to my order, not go up and pick thinks a if I'm in a canteen not at these prices. There where a number of other faults with the breakfast ,tea not hot enough and toast not toasted enough but the biggest one was not being able to get soda bread in a Northern Irish Hotel its like staying in Paris and the hotel not serving croissants. Beans and mushrooms are what the English eat for breakfast.
OK that's my rant over but seriously even though these where minor niggles I liked the place, loved the setting but got better value at the Manor House Hotel which is also closer to Enniskillen should you wish to go to a local pub.
I would and will go back but I'll not pay the premium rate they are asking unless I get a premium service. In this economic climate they need to up there game.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to Lough Erne Resort? Share your experiences!