“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Lough Erne for two nights recently for a mini-getaway. The resort is very scenic and the hotel decor is of a high standard. The breakfast was very good, nice menu choices, with excellent service. We ate in the Catalina restaurant one night and I thought the food was fantastic, although the dessert wasn't on par with the starter and main course. We ate in the clubhouse another night, my husband thought his steak was overpriced for what he got but the meal was enjoyable nontheless and again the service was very good.
The leisure facilities are also good, the pool and changing area were spotless and well equipped. I have visited the spa on a previous visit and I really enjoyed my massage there.

Our only gripe is that the hotel doesn't seem to be geared up for warm weather, which is disappointing for a 7 year old 5* Hotel. I live 60 miles away from the hotel so I know that hot days are unusual around these parts, but there was no air conditioning in the room, the windows opened about half an inch and the desktop fan provided wasn't very powerful so the room was like an oven. Reception did arrange for 'summer' bedding to be put on which helped, as did a dip in the refreshingly cool pool, but going into a nice cool room on a hot summer day would have been fantastic. The common areas however are air conditioned - alongside roaring fires when it was tipping 28 celcius outside...
Also my husband commented that it would have been nice to have somewhere comfy to sit outside in the nice weather, the options were the grass or cast iron chairs so on our last day we didn't hang around for lunch/drinks and went home to sit in our own back garden :-)

I would definitely stay here again, in any season except summer.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay during warm weather don't book a courtyard room, the bigger rooms seem to ha...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Newcastleton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Went for a meal at being of July with it being local though would sample the reviews of everyone I had spoke to keeping a open mind my wife and I loved the wheaten bread you were given it wasn't dry lovely and moist and warm the starters was lovely and mains were also but after the mains were served that's where the good services finished the waitress looked to have friends arrive they were tables not cleared she was sitting chatting to this couple which looked liked friends showing and playing with her phone luckily a waiter seen us sitting with plates empty and then took them away and have us dessert menu to choice from then took our order my wife loved the banana soufflé I wished I had choose it after dessert had passed we sat for a good 15mins upon waiting for plates again to be cleared "1st waitress with chatting with friends" did not come over at all so we went to the desk and paid I will go back as the food was good but waiting side needs vast improvement

• Stayed July 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Great welcome at the door by a few members of staff, our bags were taken off us and taken to our room while we headed off to the spa. (fantastic as we were running late).

We were both booked in for massages, it was fantastic, great relaxing experience.
After our massage we were taken into a beautiful room that over looked Castle Hume Lough, we were given tea and some fruit.

One negative would be there wasn't a lot of staff around to replenish your tea or to offer you water.
Pool area was lovely and quiet perfect for relaxing.

Rooms and bathrooms were large and beautiful.

Food in the restaurant was lovely however small portions, staff were very friendly.

We were rudely awakened around ten to four by three drunken men coming from a wedding, it took staff around ten mins to approach these men at the front of the building.

When going for breakfast we were seated at the window with fantastic views.

Staff however were slow to take our order for tea/coffee - we had our breakfast ate by the time our tea, coffee and toast arrived.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Athlone, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the golf course early and the drive up to the club house really set the scene for an amazing day.

The club house, the course were all top class.

We tried for breakfast before our round but only over priced dry scones were available but this didn't put us off.

After a terrible round of golf on my end on what could only be described as the best parkland course I have ever played we decided to have food in the club house.

It kills me to say this but the service was terrible, I haven't never seen such poor bar / waiting staff in a long time. We eventually had to call the staff to our table to give our food order, we waited a further 40 minutes for our food and then my RibEye was a ball of fat:((

Over all I would happily return, just a wee bit more pep from the staff and some thought put in to the food is v much needed.

Thanks
N

Ps we didn't stay but the lodges looked amazing:)

• Stayed July 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We had our wedding at the Lough Erne in June and i can safely say it was amazing, amazing amazing !!! We are seasoned travelers and have pretty high standards when it comes to hotels and restaurants, and i can safely Lough Erne as a wedding venue did not disappoint !!! From the stunning views of the lakes to the beautiful old world charming interiors it was a perfect choice.

Our guests which were mostly from UK, USA & Europe all loved the hotel in particular the huge rooms, the fabulous food particularly on the day of the wedding and the amazing care and attention of the staff, who are exceptional.

From the wedding planning with Shweta which was pretty painless, to the on the day planning and scheduling with Claire and Adrian, every detail had been thought of and everything went off with out a hitch !!!

The staff are absolutely exceptional, they cooked extra kids meals when the kids decided they didn't like my choice and wanted chicken coujons instead !!!! they also had a seamstress to help me with an issue on my dress !!The special breakfast for our guest the morning after the wedding in a private room was such a lovely touch as no-one felt rushed and could chat away. !!!The bridal suite was amazing, we wished we could have spent longer in it, we were completely spoilt by the staff !!! i could go on and on !!! the staff cannot do enough for you and we can;t wait to go back and spend some time there as many of our guests enjoyed all the walks around the lakes !!!

I can;t rave about this hotel and staff enough we are so happy we hosted our wedding here
!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
oswego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Just arriving through the entry is very nice. There are walking trails along the golf course & lake. The staff is quite friendly & welcoming. The lobby & public areas are very Irish-the fireplace is always going & charming. Huge bathroom & nice rooms. I do not think there is a poor view anywhere. The one problem is no air conditioning. We did not feel either restaurant was very friendly & poor service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dromore, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We spent five days driving around the sights of Galway and Connemara so by the time we reached the Lough Erne, we were ready for a rest. Perfect! We were greeted as if we were already friends and I have never experienced such warmth and professionalism from luxury hotel staff before. Special mention must go to Neil. Thank you Neil.
The hotel, the setting, the food and facilities, all superb! We had afternoon tea and it is truly the best I have had.
We have promised ourselves that we will return and ----- we will!

Room Tip: We had a courtyard room so didn't expect a view but that was not a problem. We were above the en...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Lough Erne Resort? Share your experiences!