“disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 hotels in Enniskillen
belfast
“disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

After much research and consideration, I booked the Killyhevlin for a weekend break for my husbands birthday. The main reason for choosing the hotel was for the spa facilities, we both work very hard and were looking forward to a well deserved break. \when booking by phone, I was not advised to book the spa in advance, also I chose a superior room at an extra price. On arrival we were unable to avail of any spa treatments for the duration of our stay as the spa was fully booked and had a waiting list for cancellations! we were very disappointed and took ourselves off to the Lough Erne Golf Resort and Spa who were happy to accommodate in their excellent surroundings. Secondly, the superior bedroom had no bath only a shower which leaked all over the floor and seeped into the bedroom carpet, as I shower everyday, I was looking forward to a relaxing bath and considering this was a superior room I was expecting a choice. When I complained I was taken to the old part of the hotel which was very tired and was not prepared to pay the rate for the room. The food was very average, and considering the price I paid 165 pounds each for two bed and breakfast and one evening meal I was disappointed with the overall experience. On check out I was asked how I enjoyed my stay, when I explained the above I was not offered any apology or explanation. My next trip to Fermanagh will be to the lough erne golf resort and spa, having spent the afternoon there I was so impressed and not much difference in the price.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manager180, HR Manager at Killyhevlin Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2009
Dear "nirishraveller"

Thank you for forwarding your opinion on our property.
Our sales people endeavour to inform all interested enquirers about the need to advance book spa appointments.
We offer a variety of room types and there is great opportunity to discuss these and make special requests, especially when making a telephone booking.
We have lots of delighted and loyal people of all ages who continue to return to the Killy to celebrate a range of family occasions.

Wishing you well and hoping you enjoy your return stay in County Fermanagh

759 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

Stayed here recently and got a great rate directly from the Hotel.
The hotel is lovely and very close to Enniskillen town. The room was modern with all you would expect from same. The dinner was gorgeous included in the rate and we also eat there again the next evening of our stay. Breakfast was a bit hectic, having to ask for tea/toast, plates for breakfast and to replenish some items which ran short. There seemed to be plenty of staff but had no direction or unsure of what to do. Dinner was the opposite all staff very professional and it ran like clockwork.
The leisure centre again was great.
The staff at reception/restaurant and not to forget the bar was extremely friendly and helpful.
This is a lovely hotel and book the special offers as quick as you can. They cannot last forever.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear " gardenvilla"

Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review.
You obviously made took advantage of all our facilities and thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
Breakfast can be a bit mad - everyone wants a lie-in and everyone than arrives at once - usually in the last hour of service!
Glad you enjoyed our restaurant food: our menus change regularly and Chef uses localy sourced food to ensure quality .
I'll pass on your compliments to my colleagues.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Derry, N'Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

My Girlfriend took me here for my birthday last weekend. It was a lovely supprise, We had talked about going before, the leisure facilities looked really good..

Really nice hotel, Close to Enniskillen town centre, Room was modern, roomy, bed very comfy..

The leisure facilities were excellent, out door hot tub was a nice touch!

Best bit was prob the staff service, they couldnt do enough for us, will be a lasting memory of our stay...

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — nuffin
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear " Cormac_Irl"

Thank you for your great review.
I'll pass on your compliments to my work collegeagues - there'll be no listening to them now!
The outdoor hot-tub is great fun and very popular. People enjoy sitting out in it with the steam rising and the rain pouring down.

Hope to see you back soon - maybe for your girlfriend's birthday this time?

ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

The hotel is about 2 miles from the town and is well sign posted although a lighted sign on the roadside would be helpful when arriving on a dark evening -I went past the entrance before I realised the hotel was there. It is in a lovely setting with great views. We had a really nice family room. The decor was lovely, beds comfy, and the temperature was just right. All the bits and pieces you need were provided eg TV, kettle,iron etc. The bathroom had quality fixtures/fittings and was a good size.Only down side for us was that our room overlooked the flat roof of the health club so not much of a view but at least it was quiet. There was no main light in the bedroom which did make the room a bit dark when trying to put make-up on etc. (not much natural light coming in on a dark december day).
We ate in the main bar and the food and the staff were excellent. Breakfast was in the restaurant. There was a very good choice of hot and cold food. Staff were,again, excellent.
We were only there for one night and didn't have time to use the pool unfortunately but we will do so the next time and we will definately be back

• Liked — pretty much everything
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear " jomick"

Thank you and its great to read you had such a good stay and enjoyed yourselves.

We do have a variety of rooms facing different directions and, while the view may be better from some, others are quieter. Now you know the hotel you can make a request when booking for the next time.
To be honest, in December it is dark most of the time and probably not the best time of year on which to base an opinion on the view!

Pity you didn't have time for the pool - maybe next time? Come and celebrate the brighter evenings.

Look forward to seeing you again

n.ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

I stayed in the hotel for one night as I wanted to get a feel for the hotel around Christmas as this is where my wedding reception is next year. We had an early check in and the staff were more than welcoming when we arrived. Our room was absolutely fantastic looking out over the lake it was magical. After lunch we used the leisure facilities, and I have to say the hot tub is something else. It was so nice sitting in the hot tub while the air around us was freezing! The pool area, sauna and steam room were spotless. It was a great way to spend an afternoon. We had dinner at 7.30pm and there was 14 of us in total. Everyone really enjoyed thier meal and the portions were very generous! There was such a variety on the menu it was hard to choose!
Breakfast the next morning again was really tasty and plentiful!
All in all this is a wonderful hotel and I cannot wait to have all my family and friends here next year for my wedding!

• Liked — Setting, Friendly Staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear "rosiemcveigh"

Thank you so much for your rave review.

I'm sure you very excited getting ready for the wedding even though its next year!

Christmas at the Killy is wonderful - I'm actually the mad person who puts up the Christmas trees!

The weather creates such magical scenery especially when the list is on the lake and the low winter sun lights it up.

You brave person - that's a very cool dash from the warmth of the pool hall to the outdoor hot-tub - but its well worth it! Maybe its a bit surreal sitting in warm bubbles while all around is freezing - but its certainly a bit of fun!

The Health Club team work hard at maintaining cleanliness standards. Did you get a chance to use our Elemis Spa? - I love it.
Spoil yourself for before the wedding.

It was good to hear you enjoyed the food - Chef and his team are constantly under pressure to produce the best high quality menus from locally sourced produce.
I must admit our portions do tend to lean towards the generous side - but then we have the gym and equally generous gardens to walk around to work it off ... and then you can start over again!

Good luck with the wedding plans and many we look forward to your return

Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

We booked for a weekend break on the hotel website a few weeks ago which was confirmed and were then contacted a day before we left by phone to confirm that our booking was in order
We arrived at 2pm and our room was available straight away
Lovely location beside the lake ( it was very misty so the view was obscured that day ) The room was comfortable with tea /coffee making facilities and a good double and single bed the room was very warm and we had to leave the window open even though it was minus 3deg outside !!!
the bathroom was a good size but would need some attention regarding maintenence as the toilet was not flushing properly and the water would not remain in the washhand basin the overbath shower would have needed to be updated and the light above the mirror in the bedroom needed a new bulb also
we did report this twice but nothing was done
The meals were good and the spa and pool area excellent and overall the hotel was comfortable very clean and had very friendly staff lovely location and a short distance to the excellent town of Enniskillen We had a very enjoyable stay and we would recommend this hotel we had a road facing room and I am sure in summer it would be nice to have a lake view ( it would not have mattered in winter)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathroom needed to be updated
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manager180, HR Manager at Killyhevlin Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2008
Dear "HollydogIslandmagee"

Thank you for your review of the Killyhevlin.

We have had a few icy/misty days here and it all looks very picturesque from inside in the heat looking out!
This usually gives us some of the most beautiful sunsets over the lake - who ever has a camera when they need one? Not me!

The Cullcaigh mountains opposite still have a layer of snow - on a personal note, I hope that's as close as I get to snow!

The lakeview rooms are the prime choice and are available as an upgrade on a "first request: first get" basis! Admittedly during the winter months it's dark so early you don't get the benefit of the view in the evenings but in the morning the view is spectacular.

The bedrooms in general are well equipped and we do try to keep an even temperature but with the outside temps changing so much and so quickly it is hard to keep everyone happy.
While the hospitality tray is very convenient in the bedroom, we have found a lot of guests are really enjoying our new afternoon teas in the lounge - a good excuse to lie about, eat and do nothing but people and lake watch! Try and get the spot by the fire!

Reference the bathroom maintenance issue, my investigations resulted in a confession from our plumber who knew about the problem, but forgot and, as a result, you had departed before he sent his team in.
I hope this didn't spoil your stay and won't deter you from coming again.

Wishing you seasons greetings

Leigh Watson, HR Manager.
Kerkrade, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

I took my parents to The Killyhevlin for a break recently. Because my father had been at conferences in the hotel in the past, we expected a high standard, but everything exceeded our expectations. The rooms were spacious and well-equipped, and the food, both in the restaurant and bar, was excellent. However, it was the staff who made our stay so enjoyable - they were consistantly friendly and efficient. Nothing seemed to be a problem for them (if it was, they kept that hidden!) All in all, an excellent hotel - many thanks.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear "Laraghcon"

I must say you had me going there with the "we expected a high standard, but ..."

What a good "child" you are to bring your parents to the Killy for a break. I'm sure your father enjoyed relaxing this time instead of working at a conference.
We do a lot of residential conferences and many of them put in such long hours the delegates hardly get time to enjoy the hotel facilities.

My colleagues & I enjoy looking after our guests and I'm sure nothing was a problem - believe me, if it was, we'd have heard!! (They'll kill me now!)

It is good to read you appreciated all the facilities and services as we do strive hard to maintain our 4* standards.

Looking forward to your family returning
Many regards to you all

Leigh Watson, HR Manager.

Been to Killyhevlin Hotel? Share your experiences!