“Great” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Enniskillen
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

Stayed here overnight for a conference and thought the hotel was brilliant. I had been upgraded to a suite with a four-poster-bed, amazing views and a jacuzzi bath. The only disappointment was the jacuzzi function wasn't working and the water was not warm enough however the shower's water temperature was fine..
The breakfast was great and the service throughout my stay was first class.

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — Temperature of water in bath
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manager180, HR Manager at Killyhevlin Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2008
Dear "Burd13"

Thank you for your comments on you stay at the hotel.
The four poster bedroom to which you were upgraded has positively the best views over the hotel grounds and across the lake as far as the Cuilcagh Mountain Park. This room is usually rather hard to reserve as return guests frequently request it and advise their friends to ask for it. It is a traditional favourite with our Bridal couples.
It is always good to hear when a guest enjoyed a great breakfast and experienced first class service during their stay. I will pass your compliments to my colleagues.
We look forward to welcoming you back - maybe for pleasure rather than business the next time!

Kind Regards

Leigh Watson, HR Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
coleraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

Have just stayed at killyhevlin chalets for a 2 night stay to attend my daughters wedding on devenish island. Very friendly staff and speedy check in process. Chalets just a short walk from hotel, very clean and spacious with everything you could possibly need on hand. Beautiful view over lake, so peaceful and tranquil.
Will definitely be returning

• Liked — Lake views and well equipped chalets
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manager180, HR Manager at Killyhevlin Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2008
Dear "Mandasue"

Thank you for taking time out to write a review of our Lakeside Self Catering Chalets.

Our Chalets are very popular with families and, being so close to the hotel, they allow you to avail of the hotel facilites but still have the privacy of your own little self-contained lodge.

I love going to the Chalets and often think why do I have so much clutter and never enough room at home, when everything I need is here and there is plenty of room. A bathroom, 2 bedrooms, a fully equipped open plan kitchen and living area, parking right at the door and a view of the lake to die for - what more do I really need?
(Then the Head Housekeeper wakes me from my reverie and tells me to get on with some work!)

I will make sure to post your comments about our friendly staff and the speedy check-in on the notice board. It's good for everyone to know their efforts are appreciated.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you soon when all your wedding celebrations are complete.

Our congratulations to the happy couple.

Regards

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

Stayed here overnight on business, check-in was painless, the room is fantastic and the breakfast was excellent. Lovely river view from our room too.

We did not use the leisure centre so can't comment there but everything else was faultless.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — price!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear "the-savman"

Thank you for a very favourable report.
Short, sweet and straight to the point.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back - maybe for leisure rather than business the next time?

Regards

Leigh Watson, HR Manager
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Stayed here on a very wet weekend, staff could not have been friendlier or more accommodating, we were given a lake view room on request. The room itself was a bit dated with old style TV - not necessarily what one might expect for 4 star accommodation, the bathroom was however very nice and the view was excellent. We availed of the pool etc. leisure facilities and these were excellent with friendly staff. We enjoyed an excellent dinner with wine which for the quality was good value again the service was excellent. The breakfast had quite a good variety fruit, cereal, juices etc, however the quality of the "fry" was well below par with less than premium quality rashers, sausage & pudding also the eggs were definitely on the "anaemic" side. Service at breakfast was reasonable, with one over zealous waiter who was very intent on whisking away used dishes etc which we found quite amusing. At checkout we became aware of an elderly couple who were apparently checking out a day early due to problems with their room, mention was made of major bathroom problems and issues with a TV. In the process they were apparently being charged £114 ? for their single night while they had booked 2 nights for £99, I may have this wrong. Nonetheless my wife and I found this drama somewhat disconcerting and afterwards observed these people going to their car obviously very unhappy, we felt sorry for them. All in all a brief but enjoyable stay apart from our checkout observation.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff, food, leisure center, location/view
  • Disliked — Room was definitely not four star, old TV, our observation at checkout.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manager180, HR Manager at Killyhevlin Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2008
Dear "Ed45"

I'll begin by apologising, as I have obviously overlooked writing a response to your review. I did have to do some investigation into some of your comments.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and made use of our Health Club. The lake view rooms provide magnificent views across the river, lough and towards the mountains. The view alters seasonally, with the turning of the leaves and the water changing colour with the sky.
I gather from your heading "Wet night in Killyhevlin" you were subjected to that which is beyond our control! However, we all think Fermanagh is lovely in the rain!

I can assure you that our property and all of its services and products are indeed 4 star and we are inspected against the criteria of the Northern Ireland Tourist Board and the AA at least annually. These inspections include overnight stayd as well as day visits.

The present style of TV is gradually being replaced by a flat screen style, many rooms already have them installed. (Incidently the NITB guide states a "14 inch colour TV controllable from bed" as the min. requirement for 4 star).

Our bedrooms are constantly being updated with new paint, paper, fabrics, furnishings, beds and bedding in order to address the fact that the hotel is so busy and there is a lot of wear and tear from usage (frequently by persons who don't always respect our property as they might their own!)

I will pass on your comments about excellent food quality and service to the relevant personnel - they'll be well pleased.
Our meat products for the breakfast "fry" are purchased from a highly commended local company and are of excellent quality.

Regarding your comments about another couple on check-out ... I nearly got shot for asking about this! Ive been told by several of my colleagues that this couple had "personal issues" ; something told to anyone who had time to listen. During their short stay they caused quite a few problems by upsetting other guests and abusing my colleagues.

You did have it wrong, the receptionist was perfectly correct with the charges as the couple had opted to forget a surcharge for extras they had. They also departed earlier than booked (their choice because of "personal issues") and this left us with a room we could not resell at short notice. Should the room have sold, they would be refunded. As they say "you can't please all of the people all of the time!"

I hope you didn't let this unhappy pair spoil your opinion of us as we do pride ourselves in providing a happy and relaxing atmosphere and, collectively, we all go that extra bit ensure guest satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Yours sincerely

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

We stayed here on a 3 night break in August and enjoyed the food and the staff.

Before arrival my partner had broken his leg and I phoned and spoke to Jackie at reservations to advise her that we would prefer a room on the ground floor which she said was not a problem.

Upon arrival we realised that we had been allocated a ground floor suite which was so kind and we were very greatful. Room was very spacious and the bathroom was beautiful - with a huge bath!! - However the shower had very little power.

Although the weather wasn't great on our stay our room was unbearably warm - we failed to have a good nights sleep on the first night because of the heat. The next day I requested a fan and this was delivered without issue. We had the fan running constantly for the next 2 days - as well as having both the windows open which was unfortunately inviting flies into our room - a problem we dealt with in order to bring the temperature down. This was an unfortunate issue, however the staff were kind enough to provide us with a fan and I can't really see how else they would have been able to sort it out.

We ordered room service for breakfast everyday and it was great - delivered on time each morning and it was delicious.

We had dinner in the main restaurant which was included in our package and it was beautiful - food was lovely and the service was good. Another night we had buffet dinner which was very tasty and good value for money. The final night we headed into town and had dinner in an Italian restaurant called Franko's - highly recommended.

We sat in the bar every night and it was very cosy - with fine entertainment from a gentleman on the piano and the bar staff were very willing to flick the TV over to big brother for me to watch!

Also I must recommend the spa - the girls are very friendly and polite and the treatments are lovely.

Anyone in the area must also check out Tickety Moo ice cream - the ice cream is incredible - best I've ever tried!

I do agree with some of the comments about the rooms needing a bit of an update - our room was nice - but I have to say it was average in comparison to other hotels I have stayed in - and I managed to catch a glimpse of a few of the standard rooms when passing as they were being cleaned and they really are not very impressive at all - apart from this, everything else in the hotel was plesent.

Good car parking facilities also - and the toilets at reception were very clean.

It goes without saying that the grounds were superb!

• Liked — Food, spa, bar and staff
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear "Lemsip1986"

Thank you for providing such in depth feedback on your stay with us.

It was unfortunate that your partner had experienced a broken limb prior to your visit and we all wish him a speedy recovery.

Our Reservation people do an excellent job of trying to tailor accommodation to suit the needs of the guests, so it is worthwhile letting them now about mobility problems and they will do their best to address this matter when allocating rooms.
We have car-parking for a limited number of cars directly outside the front door and, if they know your requirements, Reservations will do their best to keep you a space - but it does tend to be first come first parked!
We have parking for at least 400 cars on site and some specifically for registered disabled persons.

We pride ourselves in being able to constantly offer quality food at good value for money in beautiful surroundings. I'll pass on your comments to all concerned. It is nice to spoil yourself with room service too.

Our resident pianist has been with hotel for quite a number of years (maybe more than he'll admit to!) and he has amassed quite a fan club as his music offers something for everyone - I know he's a big fan of the musicals but "Big Brother!" that's news to me.

It was great that you got a chance to visit the Spa .... nothing like a bit of "me time!"
Maybe on your next visit your partner will be able to avail of the Health Club and Spa too.

Thank you once again for all your lovely comments and we hope you return soon.

Regards to you both

Leigh Watson, HR Manager
N.Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

We stayed at the Killyhevlin recently on a mid week break and left with very mixed feelings.

One of the main reasons we booked here was due to the continued responses to reviews here on tripadvisor by the management who obviously value feedback be it positive or not.

First impressions of the hotel were fine, check in was over in minutes and staff were friendly.... good start. We then made our way to our rooms in the original part of the hotel. I have to say I was horrified, the room was looking onto part of the hotel roof, was very dated and the bedcover was dirty and ripped. I would have expected better from a B & B never mind a hotel claiming to be 4 star. This is where the hotel really falls short of a 4 star property. We went to reception and were moved to the newer part of the hotel, which was a drastic improvement. My advice is to make sure you are in the new part of the hotel, because if the initial room we were shown was typical of the hotel, there's no way I would have stayed. Even the newer rooms suffer from only having double beds,what a world of difference it would make to some of the newer rooms to replace the doubles with kingsize beds!

Credit must go to the reservations staff who dealt superbly with our complaint re the original room, we were quite horrified by the room we were offered but the situation was quickly resolved by the patience and professionalism of the staff, in particular Jackie who sorted everything out with minimal fuss.

The leisure centre and pool were nice with a view over the lough from the indoor jacuzzi. The pool is about 15m long and kids are only allowed in it up to 7pm. There is also a small toddler pool, and a small outdoor hot tub. Towels are provided and all swimmers must wear hats which I don't particularly like, though they are available for £1.50 from the health club reception.

We ate in the restaurant and I must say the food was excellent. All 5 people in our party commented on the quality of the meal, and these people are normally very fussy. Margaret ensured everyone was looked after with a personal touch and quiet efficiency.

All in all, the hotels has its ups and downs. The hotel and in particular the rooms require improvement to reach 4 star standard. Even those in the newer end would benefit from better furniture and a bit of character. Certainly the room which we were shown initially was not acceptable from any hotel. The hats policy for those of us with little hair should also be binned. The hotel has a lovely location on the side of the lough and is only a few minutes drive from Enniskillen. The food was excellent, but this hotel has something no amount of renovation or expense can bring...........incredible staff. Nothing is a problem and they go about everything in a manner that welcomes the guest and takes any potential issue as theirs to resolve. Have tried to give a balanced response and all in all the staff are superb but need a huge improvement in the rooms to help the hotel reach a true 4 star property.

• Liked — Superb staff
  • Disliked — Rooms (some are unacceptable)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manager180, HR Manager at Killyhevlin Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2008
Dear "Dawg-7"

Thank you for reviewing our property and as you so rightly say we do indeed value feedback from our guests and take the point of view that a negative comment is an opportunity to improve.

As your problem on check-in was dealt with in a professional manner by my colleague there is no need to dwell on it.

Our building is such that there are different styles of room thereby accommodating different tastes - I suppose our regular guests have the advantage here as they know which rooms they prefer. All rooms and how they are fitted out is quite clearly listed and described on our website.

Children are in fact admitted to the pool areas from opening time (7am on weekdays & 8am at weekends) until 7pm in the evening which is a fair length of time and gives adults only a couple of hours pre-closing to have the pool to themselves for a little child-free relaxation! Most guests & members appreciate this.

The wearing of swim hats is a basic hygiene requirement and is respected as such by those using the facility.

My colleagues in the food and beverage department are delighted to be of assistance and will do their utmost to address any particular dietary requirements a guest may have - a little notice helps - but having satisfied and happy guests is what it is all about. It makes the job worthwhile.

I do agree with you that collectively our staff are incredilble! Thank you for that ... it is been an extremely busy month and its great that someone appreciates their efforts.

Your comments regarding our need to improve to reach 4 star standard are a little offensive as we have indeed achieved 4 star status - in 1998 for our chalets, 1999 for the hotel - the award being issued by the Northern Ireland Tourist Board. In 2001 we were recognised by the AA as a four star property. We were also recognised as 4 star by the RAC who no longer grade properties. These professional organisations carry out regular, unannounced and very thorough inspections and we have met the criteria required by the classifications on all occasions.

To bring you up to date, we are starting a new re-decoration scheme for our public areas in the new year '09 having just completely refurbished 20 bedrooms pre-Easter '08 (new beds, mattresses, throws, curtains, cushions and carpet). One thing to bear in mind is - it is not my work colleagues who damage the fixtures and fittings and go home without mentioning it!!

Hope you'll return soon, regards to your party.

Leigh Watson
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

My Wife And I just have returned from a two night stay at the fabulous Killyhevlin Hotel. This was our first stay at this hotel and based upon the extremely enjoyable time which we had I felt obliged to write a review, noting the highpoints of our stay.

We spent three relaxing days in this hotel, were the rooms were furnished to a very high standard and what a better way to enjoy such comforts than spending our stay in a breathtaking suite (Room 230), during which time we celebrated our wedding anniversary.

I feel that I have to mention the stunning setting which surrounded the hotel, the picturesque Lough Erne. This beautiful surrounding only accentuated our stay at this hotel.

Another reason for this review is to praise the professional staff who made this break away from reality more enjoyable. I would like to thank the following members of staff, Angela, Lisa and Sarah, who were extremely friendly, accommodating and very pleasant. The service delivered from these staff members was truly commendable.

During our first night at this hotel we had our meal in silks restaurant, where we enjoyed sirloin steak, which was cooked
to perfection. The portions were superb and very well presented. The chef is worth his weight in gold.

Our dinner on the second night was in the grill bar, again the food was excellent and the portions were superb, all the food was very reasonably priced.

We used the health club which was excellent, there was a jacuzzi, a steam room and a sauna as well as an indoor swimming pool. The outdoor hot tub was brilliant and again the staff were very helpful.

Overall we had an extremely enjoyable time at this hotel and I will be recommending a stay to all our family and friends and we are looking forward to visiting again in the near future.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manager180, HR Manager at Killyhevlin Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2008
Dear "rancho_bill"

It was with great pleasure that I read your review. Thank you so much for taking the time to put together your report which I will be delighted to post for all my colleagues to enjoy.

I don't know who'll be looking for "employee of the month" - the girls you named or our Head Chef? I could have trouble!! I suppose the Health Club staff will want a mention too!

Congratulations - even though it is somewhat belated - on celebrating your wedding anniversary with us. The Killy is a lovely venue for a special occasion.
Room 230 is a very popular choice as it commands the best of the views of the lake - you don't even have to get out of bed!

At the Killyhevlin, our team aims to offer our guests an excellent quality product that is good value for money. Having read your comments, I think we have done pretty well. Thank you.

Looking forward to your return visit

Regards to you both

Leigh Watson

Been to Killyhevlin Hotel? Share your experiences!