“Great escape” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Belfast Road, Enniskillen BT74 6RW, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 7 hotels in Enniskillen
“Great escape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I have stayed in this hotel for the past two summers in a row, staying for 2 nights each time. I have thoroughly enjoyed each stay. Nice hotel in a stunning location, it is just so tranquil and relaxing and a wonderful base to just switch off. Food in the restaurant has always been very good. I can't wait to go back again this summer. Highly recommend for a relaxing break. Also a great location to explore the surrounding area and attractions, castle coole, crom castle, belleek etc.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for a lake view, really worth it!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager180, Manager at Killyhevlin Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear "Foodlover1892"
Thank you so much for such a great review of your stayovers with us. We look forward to seeing you both back and hope we get a "summer" this summer as Fermanagh and its lakes and scenery look even better with a bit of sun and blue sky. There is still plenty to do and see on a damp day too! Kindest regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.

759 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I had a 2 night stay on Mon/Tues
last week and had an absolutely great experience at the Killyhevlin!! It is
the first time we stayed at the KH and we are keen to repeat the
experience.The overall value for money ,ambience ,decor and food was a
delight.We must especially mention the Staff......Martina in the Restaurant
plus her Team,the Pianist Jayne in the Lounge whose selection of songs were
very relaxing and Shauna at Reception who was very helpful.In these days of sometimes
shoddy service it was a pleasure to encounter a professional yet
warm&friendly team!!The Restauant "Silks" was excellent both in terms of food,service and ambience.The view from the lounge over the Lake was stunning as well.We can also recommend the lake trip on the MV Kestrel organised by the hotel ,Devenish Island was fascinating if somewhat chilly!!We have decided we will be making a return journey to the KH sometime this year and will probably upgrade to a Lake view room next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear " doug56m"
Thank you so much for your very thoughtful review of your first ever stay with us at Killyhevlin. We are delighted you and your wife enjoyed your stay so much and I'll make sure your comments are posted for all mentioned to see. We look forward to welcoming you back, kindest regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.
Portstewart
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is an honest review based on our experience. We had booked for one night B&B with evening meal. On arrival reception staff were very efficient and quick on room allocation. Our room was on the first floor with a lake view, very cleam and tidy with the usual tea/coffee making facilities. The good point was the free wireless connection, and it was good even in the rooms.I went to the pool,the reception staff gave the impression that they did not want to work,no smiles or any sort of friendly greeting, the girl just gave the instructions and that was that. The pool was cleam, water warm, i must say a very good experience. Downside they charge for bathing caps, charge you £2 for the pleasure, tell you they must be worn at all times, but no one to supervise. My time in the pool was about 30 minutes, at least two people were in the pool without the £2 caps on, no members of staff to be seen. It would appear this is just another way of making quick £. We had a table booked in the restrauent for 6.30pm, staff here friendly, we were seated drinks order/food order taken. The starter for myself was quite pleasant and my wife enjoyed her starter and main meal. Now here is where it all goes wrong, i ordered pork, it arrived on my plate three great lumps, it gave all the appearance of something that was left over from lunch. The pork was not lean but tough, could not eat. When the dining room manager came down to see if everything was OK, i told her, she said that she would tell the chef, that was the end of that. The sweets were not made fresh, we both ordered Tiramisu, tasted and looked like processed rubbish. Tesco do a better job.When the meal was finished we went to reception and complained about my main meal, the girl on reception said she would take a note of what i said. Later on in the evening i received a telephone call from the Dining Room manageress,she apologised for my poor meal and told me that the Glass of Coco Colo and my wife's glasss of wine would not be charged to us. All things taking into consideration the money we paid £210 for one night B&B with evening meal was not worth staying at this hotel. Watch out G8 in June, i hope they raise their standards. On checkout the receiptioist had a note of my complaint and said she would get the manager to speak to me. I waited 10 minutes, guess what no Manager. I just left in disgust. Save your money, do not stay in this hotel. The beds were hard, and the heating went off about 2am, so the room got cold very quickly. The breakfast was of a very poor standard,no choice offered, full breakfast that was that.

Dear "desatni"
Thank you for taking time to relate your experience of your visit to the KIllyhevlin. Please accept our apologies for giving you less than the excellent experience we would have preferred for you. We appreciate and take all feedback on board and use it to improve on our service, product and/ or facilities as appropriate. Our General Manager suggests you speak with himself as he wishes to personally address the matters you have raised. Thank you once again, regards, leigh Watson, HR Manager.
Gilford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Enjoyed a weekend break in the Killyhevlin, beautiful scenery, room was large, comfortable and clean, staff were very professional and helpful. Food was amazing, 4 course evening meals were the best ever tasted and breakfasts had a superb variety of dishes on offer. The only problem we encountered was on the first night we didnt sleep well due to a noise like an extractor fan or air conditioning running constantly and a drunken wedding guest banging on the wrong door but staff upgraded us and moved us to a room at the other end of the hotel. We made use of the health suite and spa and would definately love to go back again.

Room Tip: would recommend a lake view rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manager180, Manager at Killyhevlin Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
dear " dianeb38_8"
Thank you so much for your very kind feedback on your weekend break. It was unfortunate that your nights sleep was disturbed but great our people were able to resolve the matter satisfactorily. Outside of this you appear to have enjoyed your stay and thats what we want to see. We are looking forward to welcoming you back, kindest regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.
Braunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Lovely hotel and lovely location. Hotel very clean and most of the staff friendly. We had 2 rooms booked one was great the other was rather disappointing and certainly needed some improvements made to electrics and drains. I was offered a change of rooms on day 2 but the thought of repacking and moving just wasn't worth it, I found a way of stopping the smell temporarily. :(( There was no view for either room which again was disappointing apparently you have to pay extra if you want a view .... but we were not offered this option when we booked directly with the hotel.
The deal we had included meals in Silks Restaurant. I couldn't believe it every night was the same menu ..... I stay in many hotels and have never experienced this before. The food was very good but oh so boring. Not much choice at all. Definitely would not book a dinner package again. We stayed for 5 nights!! Breakfast again was very good but exactly the same choices every day .... no variety.
The spa area was beautiful. Very clean and lots of variety here.

Room Tip: pay the extra for a view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear "Helen H"
Thank you for taking time to feedback on your stay with us at Killyhevlin. From time to time maintenance isues do arise and we do our best to sort them as soon s is feasibly possible according to the nature of the problem. Had you consented to move rooms our people would have assisted with this to save you further inconvenience. Your comment regarding not being made aware of the opportunity to upgrade to a lakeview on booking has been passed to reservations to ensure this service is improved on. Our evening Restaurant menu changes Friday to Friday with daily specials being offered in addition. We also offer a grill bar menu in the Regatta restaurant and Boathouse lounge in the evenings, and over lunch-time have a buffet menu with carved joint and choie of dishes and there is a snack menu running all day; we apologise that you could not find enough variety. We find our breakfast being of a self service buffet style with both hot and cold food along side juices, cereals, breads and pastries that the majority of our guests find ample choice but on asking our chef is prepared to meet any reasonable dietary request. Again, please accept our apologies. Glad you enjoyed the Spa and found our staff friendly.
We sincerely appreciate all genuine feedback and will use it to improve our service as we do care about our guests, their opinions and we wish to make everyone's stay as excellent an experience as possible, many thanks again for your comments, and we do hope you might return, kindest regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.
SEEngland&SEIreland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Despite our disappointment with the food a few months ago my wife and decided to stay here once again as we though it unfair to totally base our impressions on just one visit.
The hotel has many many positive points with smiling helpful staff, very clean premises and wonderful views from the lounge and back bedroom windows over Lower Loch Erne.
So what more could one ask for? In our opinion one again it is for food that matches the 4* ranking of the place.
The food appears to be produced rather than prepared. I wonder how much of it is bought in pre-cooked. With such a short menu one would have thought that preparation and presentation would and could be of a very high standard.
On the first evening I had the bar menu and chose fish and chips. The fish was not of great quality and the batter hung to the fish like an woollen jumper reluctant to let go! The following evening we ate in the main restaurant and I chose bruschetta to start with. This was a forlorn presentation of what seemed to be overdone toast with a heavy tomato puree smothering a limp piece of bacon.
For the main course I chose lamb shank. This large item was served on a bed of grey mashed potato and smothered with an indeterminable heavy sauce. Then came more mash with the potato and cabbage mix together with raw peas in their shells, another white vegetable and underdone carrots all of which seemed to have been kept hot under lights in the kitchen for some while. Boil in the bag and school dinners come to mind although I am sure that my school never served up lamb shank!
In order to try and save the day I decided I could not go wrong by choosing tiramisu for a sweet. How wrong I was as this was a solid circular lump quite unlike any other tiramisu I have ever tasted. I have had far far better from many national supermarket chains. For me it was inedible and my wife describe it as tasting of figs.
I did mention my disappointment on check out and the receptionist did say that she would pass me concerns on to the management.
It seems a pity that the hotel seems to be unable or perhaps unwilling to improve it performance on the food front and I just wonder what the international community will find when the hotel will be no doubt full for the G8 summit.
Fermanagh is a great county with beautiful unspoilt scenery and Killyhevlin is ideally situated to welcome the much needed tourists to the area but I have now found one too many cuckoos in the nest!

Room Tip: As for a room at the back overlooking the loch.
Manager180, Manager at Killyhevlin Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear "traveller4sun"
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us at Killyhevlin Hotel. We are delighted to get feedback from our guests and take it in the manner in which it is offered; that is to improve our service and standards where required. Our Manager, Aidan, would very much like you to contact him directly at the hotel to discuss the matters you raise as they weren't brought to his attention during your stay and he would like to apologise, investigate and resolve these issues in a more private and professional manner. Please accept my apologies and guarantee that your comments will be passed to Chef in the meantime. We look forward to hearing from you, kind regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

All staff very helpful and courteous. Room very clean and tidy but looking out on a roof and fire escape. I suppose someone has to stay in it but would have liked some other view there!!!
Breakfast very very good and so was evening meal. Great location.

Room Tip: Ask if you can have a nice view when booking
Dear " Helen P"
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us at the Killyhevlin. Needless to say, due to the design and lay out of our building some of our rooms do have less pleasant views than those with lakeviews - this can be a bit of a "luck of the draw" if a lakeview upgrade as not been requested and guaranteed at the time of making the reservation. Sorry about that. Glad to read our staff, your room and the food were all to your liking. We hope to see you back again soon, kindest regards, Leigh Watson, HR Manager.

Been to Killyhevlin Hotel? Share your experiences!