“A great location and facilities………” 1 of 5 stars

Rowers Hotel
St Omers Road | Dunston, Gateshead, Gateshead NE11 9EJ, England   |
Ranked #18 of 20 hotels in Gateshead
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A great location and facilities………”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

….are just two of the things this hotel does not provide. Situated in the middle of an industrial estate, this nautical themed hotel is in need of a complete refurbishment. The staff were friendly, but this is probably the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in, due largely to the standard of cleanliness.

The bedrooms, bathrooms and ‘dining room’ were all in need of a thorough clean. You generally get what you pay for with hotels in terms of facilities but there is no excuse for this standard of housekeeping.

The hotel has a four crown rating, presumably this is out of a hundred.
I would strongly advise anyone thinking about booking a night here to reconsider.

My two nights spent in this hotel will live long in the memory for all the wrong reasons.

So bad, it was comical.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

went to stay for valentines weekend,
1st, could'nt find the hotel,
2nd, hotel was in middle of an industrial estate
3rd, the hotel is based themed on a ship, so the bedrooms are like ship cabins, The beds were extremly hard to sleep in, had a very uncomfortable sleep
4th, went down for breakfast, it was extremly cold where we had breakfast , I noticed that the insides of the milk jugs on tables had mould in the handles (yukk)!!

I'd strongly advise anybody from staying there, room was dirty, bedding smelt.
We had an horrible stay unfortunatly......

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

Ok, i arrived as part of a Stag Group, hoping to enjoy the Newcastle Night Life. On arrival, we are all told that there is a 'Deposit' to pay, £25 each, for being part of a Stag Do? I understand they must have damages but its a bit steep when we hadnt even unloaded our cases!

My next gripe was the fact that the Bar closed at 9pm, and after that you werent even able to drink in the rooms? As for drinking, i would strongly reccomend taking bottled water to wash with as the running water appears to have come from the neighbouring rooms toilet?

I must admit that i like the outdoors, but not when i am having my breakfast ie. the conservatory dining area. It had potted plants, which were ideal for throwing away the curdling milk set out (probably the night before) for my morning cup of tea.

To finish i made sure to wipe my feet on the way out, and would not reccommend this hotel to any Stag Partys. Especially if your on the 'Edge Card' Package.

• Stayed March 2010
scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

Stayed in this hotel for one night and will never ever go back.

Firstly a few days before we arrived we were called by the housekeeper to tell us the hotel had been overbooked and we had to find somewhere else to stay. Asked to speak to the managr said eh was unavailable. We emailed the hotel adn told them we had consumer rights and this was a confired booking we did not get a reply. So we went to the hotel on the day of the stay and was told there was a mix up and they were sorry and that our rooms were ready.

I had a single room G3 and the room was freezing cold ws told to switch on the electric heater and if was still cold when we got back we would be given another. My room seemed clean and tidy enough although was very very dated and could have done a lick of paint. However my parents room G2 was disgusting the floor looked like it not seen a hoover on months and the tray that the teas and coffee things were was filthy I would be surpised if it had ever been cleaned.

Please note that the hotel bar closes at 9pm on a saturday night!!

There was alot of noise at night time about 2 or 3 in the morning hearing voices and shouting and doors slamming.

Breakfast tasted good which was a suprise although the breakfast is served in the conservatory which has no heating you could actually see your breath. The table covers were also filthy. As far as I could see there was only the housekeeper serving and tidying up so the service was a bit on the slow side. You cold help yourself to toast, cereal and orange juice.

the location is a 10minute walk from metro centre and our main purpose of the trip was going to see a show at the metro arena and this was only 5 mins is a taxi.

• Stayed February 2010
Dunfermline
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

Pictures on website looked great, with recent RAC award.
Booked and confirmed in January.
2 days before attending received phone call from hotel cancelling booking as they were overbooked. Unfortunately argued my case and after another call confirmed our stay.
On arrival in the industrial estate, rooms and toilets were filthy, towels were stained and smelly.
No restuarant at night, bar closed 9pm.
Breakfast was in conservatory which was freezing and had no heating.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

Never have I stayed in a worse hotel - the room was filthy, breakfast was disgusting and constant noise all night due to stag night bookings.
No manager on site to complain to, very old fashioned and poor quality fixtures and fittings.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
cumbria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

I booked this hotel, for myself and 3 friends, on 11th October and received confirmation the same day, this making me think that it was all sorted and I didnt need to do anything else until we arrived. However, when I returned from work on Monday 19th, I had a message on my answerphone telling me that this hotel was overbooked, but they could offer us another hotel, 1.5 miles away, for the same price. Thinking they were giving us a reduced rate due to their obvious mistake I looked at the hotel they had offered us on the internet., only to find that the same room requirements would actually have been cheaper! Surely as it was their mistake you would think that they would have offered us a hotel with similar standards, or even some sort of compensation to apologise for the error?

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Rowers Hotel? Share your experiences!