“modern, chic” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
liverpool
“modern, chic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

although it s rather hidden behind some flats this is a well situated hotel, less than 10 minutes walk from Newcastle. the staff mostly are extremely helpful and pleasant. The room was of a very good standard, clean and the bed was comfortable. The water pressure in the shower was lamentably weak.

Breakfast was a buffet style affair, plentiful and fairly fresh, although the eggs left a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: ask for room 533 its one of the few rooms with a view of the riverside and its buildings.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alastair R, Manager at Ramada Encore Newcastle-Gateshead, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thanks very much for the review. I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you again soon. I will pass your feedback on the eggs to our Head Chef.

Deputy GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Excellent value for what we paid. Stayed for one night on the 17th Feb; £49 Living Social deal inc dbl room, breakfast & parking.
Reception staff were efficient and processed check in/out speedily. However, could have smiled more.
We were allocated room 615 on the 6th floor. Larger than anticipated, great layout, contained everything we could need inc a full length mirror, which so often is missing. The bed was extremely comfortable, with two substantial pillows each. Not a great view, as there was a sort of balcony (inaccessible), which ran along this side of the hotel, so all we could see was the upper storeys of the buildings opposite. But we were there for one night only, and the view was unimportant.
The bathroom/wetroom was more than adequate. A good space that contained washbasin, toilet and shower. Liquid soap & shower gel were provided along with fluffy white towels. The tissue box was empty but I'm sure, had we asked, that a replacement box would have been provided.
The bedroom, bathroom & linen were spotlessly clean.
We found the room to be rather warm during the night and with no air-con we opened one of the two massive floor to ceiling windows (these open by approx 6"), which allowed sufficient air into the room, making it more comfortable.
As it was a Sunday night we were not troubled by hen/stag parties, and our sleep wasn't disturbed by any kind of noise.
Didn't use room service. However, breakfast was excellent, great choice and quality. The staff were extremely efficient and moreover, very smiley & friendly...a lovely way to start the day.
Location was good. You need to understand that this side of the quay is still under development. Please don't be deterred by the surroundings. It's just a few minutes walk to the Baltic & Millennium Bridge, and if you can handle an up-hill walk a further 15 - 20 minutes will take you into the heart of the city. Alternatively, take the yellow buses which run around every 10 minutes, route Q1, and the bus stop is conveniently behind the hotel. A taxi from town back to the hotel (late evening) cost us £6.
We are more than happy to stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alastair R, Manager at Ramada Encore Newcastle-Gateshead, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hi Lynn

Thanks very much for the review on your recent stay. I am glad you managed to take advantage of the Living Social offer and enjoyed all elements of your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Hutton Rudby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

A very clean and smart hotel. We stayed for just one night. It was a Saturday so there were a number of people at stag/hen parties so it was noisy late on. There wasn't much of a view from our room but, as other reviewers say, it's only a short walk to the quayside etc.Can't comment on room service as we didn't use it. (Next time we'll book a quayside hotel).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor for a better view and to be away from the parties/noise at weekends.
Hi Chris

Thanks for the review. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I ordered a double room for myself and partner for Valentine’s Day over 4 months ago. However we were put in a room with 2 single beds pushed together. We assumed it was a king size as it had one sheet and a large duvet and went out for the night. It was only when we got into bed on our return at 2am that we realised the error and the fact that they had disguised the 2 single beds.

By this time we had obviously unpacked our suitcases and it would have been too much upheaval to change rooms. We managed to sleep fairly well on the first night however the next night was problematic. The single mattresses parted during the night and my partner woke with severe neck pain. She had lodged herself between the 2 mattresses which had aggravated an underlying neck and jaw condition.

I have no idea why we were put in a room with 2 single beds disguised as a double? Why we were not informed of this during check in? Why (considering I booked 4 months ago) were we given a second rate room?

I think Ramada need to change their policy to make it mandatory that guests are informed if they are not getting the type of room they have paid for and the reason why?

They didn't even ask “how was your stay?” on checkout.

Positives

The food in The Hub was acceptable for the price and the Tastecard discount was applied with minimal fuss. The restaurant staff were polite and courteous and even lent me a corkscrew to uncork a bottle of red I had brought myself.

Room service cleaned our room while we were out which was done to a reasonable standard.

Overall

I can't give more than a 2 because of the devious way we were palmed off with 2 single beds and the resulting pain my partner is still in. If you do stay here please CHECK YOUR BED/s as soon as you enter the room.

Room Tip: Check your bed is a double and not 2 singles pushed together.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your experience in the Hub. I am sorry to hear you weren't satisfied with your bed. Our King rooms have a zip and link bed which can either be used as two separate beds or one super king size double. I must stress that there is nothing second rate about this room type as it allows flexibility to accommodate the requirements of different guests. If you found it devious that you were given a zip and link bed when you booked a king room I can only apologise. I assure you that this isn't the intention and many guests find the larger bed in this room type to be a very positive feature.

Thanks again for your comments.

Alastair Reekie
Deputy General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Staff were friendly and efficient. A supervisor was really apologetic when he found out our room hadn't been cleaned on second day (even tho the 'do not disturb' sign had only been removed about half an hour earlier!). Everything worked (but then again the hotel is brand new). The car park was only £5 and plenty big enough for the number of guests. Location great. Bar pleasant. Gym small but there were free weights, a Swiss ball and 3 or 4 cardio machines. No aircon in rooms

• Stayed February 2013
Hi Juleeee

Thanks very much for the great review. Your feedback is much appreciated and I hope to see you again soon.

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The surrounding area is a bit industrial but it is only 5 minutes walk to the Millenium bridge. It is also on the Q1 bus route into central Newcastle for £2 all day or £1-25 single. The people on reception were very welcoming and knowledgeable. The room was clean and bright as was the bathroom. Breakfast was not included in price but I did eat in the evening. The soup was fantastic and the smothered chicken was OK. Service was good and the food was/appeared to be freshly cooked. Also not overly expensive for hotel food
Only downside I found was the car park charge of £5. As it was on-site, I queried this but was told "all the others charge & we are the cheapest" Still a bit of a rip-off.
Despite this, I would stay again due to good price and easy access to Newcastle city centre

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Your review is much appreciated. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Best Regards

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at the ramada encore hotel in Newcastle in feb 2013 for one night. We arrived around 7pm and were greeted warmly by the guy on reception. The hotel is based in an industrial estate, but was easy to find.
Our room was on the fourth floor and was facing the car park, there wasn't much of a view as surrounding buildings blocked out the view of the quayside. I was slightly disappointed by this as the description of the hotel said that there was a view of the quayside. Other rooms, however, may have a few of the quayside, unfortunately ours didn't.
The rooms was adequately sized and had lovely modern decor. We stayed in a double room with a sofa bed and this was enough room for the two of us. The bed was really comfortable helping give a good nights sleep! The room was also immaculately clean with all basic hotel essentials (kettle, coffee, tea, coat hangers, towels etc.)
We planned to go out for a meal, but as we arrived quite late in the evening we decided to use room service. I rang down and ordered the food and the receptionist was really friendly on the phone. The food arrived within 20 minutes and the young girl who brought us it up was also really friendly. We both ordered fajitas which were delicious! (There was a £3 service charge for room service)
My partner needed to iron his shirt, so I rang down reception again and asked if they had an iron to loan and the receptionist told me that she would send one up straight away. Surely enough a member of staff brought us an iron and iron board promptly.
The bathroom has a shower, but no shower tray so it's like a wet room when you shower, however, luckily, water didn't leak everywhere when I showered. The shower was quite limp and didn't have much pressure which wasn't very helpful.
The stay was really nice and I would stay here again based on the cleanliness, friendliness and the room but not for the location.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for the lovely review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the team friendly. I have noted your comments regarding the shower in the room.

Deputy GM

Been to Ramada Encore Newcastle-Gateshead? Share your experiences!