“Highlight of our visit” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 5 Shopping in Gateshead
Type: Art Galleries, Historic Sites, Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: Housed in a landmark industrial building on the south bank of the River Tyne in Gateshead, BALTIC presents an ever-changing calendar of dynamic, diverse & international contemporary visual art exhibitions and events. Also houses BALTIC SHOP, a cafe/bar. Library & Archive and Six rooftop restaurant.
18 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I didn't know it was so cultured oop north! Fabrice Hyber exhibition was stimulating and interactive. Cool building. Inspiring views over the Tyne.

Visited May 2013

• Polish first
West Boldon United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Disappointing lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

After shopping in Newcastle we decided that we would have a quick sandwich in the Baltic cafe. It was on our way home and we were in a hurry. What a mistake! We waited over 25minutes for a prawn sandwich and an open steak sandwich. We had long finished our coffees before our food came! The cafe was not particularly busy and there were plenty of staff.
We were also disappointed in the menu which was very limited. There was a lovely breakfast menu but unfortunately that was only available until lunch time. What's wrong with having French toast at any time of the day?
We won't rush back.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
“Friendly enthusiastic staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Saw the Fabrice Hyber exhibition 'Raw Materials' which consists of very wacky installations most of which you are encouraged to interact with. I appreciated how the staff took time to enthusiastically explain things. Comfortable ground floor cafe.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“when money is short - this is not the way to spend it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The building is very interesting and the views from the top are stunning but the content is disgraceful - poor quality, lacking in inspiration, flair and imagination and basically, to put it simply we felt they were taking the p***! Luckily there was no entry charge or I would have asked for my money back.(They weren't asking for feedback - I wonder why?) Left feeling very very underwhelmed - decided to walk to the Biscuit Factory (about 15 mins away) what a contrast - just shows what a bit of commercialisation can do for art - it was excellent and highly recommended.

Wellington, Somerset
24 attraction reviews
“Really great visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Looking for something to do while my husband watched football I decided to visit and I am so glad I did, I spent 5 hours there, including a meal, and enjoyed every moment. Viewing area is brilliant I enjoyed just watching people crossing the bridge below. The exhibitions were different and interesting, the attendants were so friendly and helpful and really made the visit for me. I ate at the cafe downstairs and the restaurant on the 6th floor and had a really enjoyable time. Look out for the Kittiwakes sheltering along the wall if you visit the Outdoor Viewing sight.