My husband recently booked this hotel as a last minute surprise for my daughter and me as we've been going through a rough time. We only live about 25minutes away and thought we were going shopping!
Reception was Ok - checked in as soon as we arrived. There was a (very noisy) wedding party in when we arrived and we asked to be placed in a quiet area of the hotel. We were given a room on the top floor away from the wedding party.
Typical Marriott room - we've stayed in many Marriott hotels from Bangkok to Curaçao to Spain etc. and the rooms are all pretty much the same. Fabulous Marriott bed - the most comfortable sleep anywhere!
The only problem with the rooms in this hotel is that they are very dark - something I particularly dislike in hotel rooms! This is due to the way it has been built with the windows all being mirrored on the outside - thus letting less light in. The lighting in the room needs to be re-thought perhaps - but I do find this in such a lot of hotel rooms to be fair.
We ate in the restaurant and to be honest we didn't expect the food to be that good, however, it was really very good indeed! Also enjoyed a wonderful bottle of wine. My only gripe - AND THIS SPOILED THE ENJOYMENT OF OUR MEAL - was that the air conditioning was SO FIERCE that my husband had to go back to the room to fetch jackets for my daughter and me. It was the same at breakfast the next morning too! PLEASE, PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS AND MAKE THE RESTAURANT A MORE COMFORTABLE TEMPERATURE - I realise the staff get hot with running around but the temperature should be for the comfort of the guests not the staff. This is the only reason why I chose to give 4stars instead of 5.
Sadly there is no executive lounge at this hotel! Perhaps another reason to give it 4stars instead of 5.
The spa and pool area have just been refurbished and they are so much improved since our last visit some years ago.
If anyone fancies a weekend shopping at the Metro Centre this would be the best choice as its just a couple of minutes walk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set by the A1M next to the MetroCentre, Europe's largest leisure and retail complex, the Newcastle Marriott Hotel MetroCentre offers the location, exceptional service and amenities you'd expect from a 4-star hotel in Newcastle. If you're planning a business or social event, you'll find a 524-square-metre, technologically enhanced conference and meeting facility, backed by a professional staff who will anticipate your needs and quickly respond to your requests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Marriott, Hotels.com, Tingo, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Newcastle Marriott Metrocentre
- Marriott Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Marriott Gateshead