“Wonderful Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Station Square, Grange-over-Sands LA11 6EJ, England   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Grange-over-Sands
“Wonderful Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel for our bi-annual trip to the Lake District, and we were not disappointed. It was such an easy process from the minute we booked until the minute we checked out. On booking they require a £50 deposit, which is very reasonable, and the rest you pay on departure. There were a few minor hiccups, but nothing that couldn't be sorted out. I had been looking at the pictures of the rooms on the website before we booked to decide which room to go for, and opted for a Superior room with a view of the bay. When I got up there, I was a little underwhelmed. We were given room 211, and I think it would have been better suited to being one of the nicer standard rooms. Don't get me wrong, it was spotlessly clean, but it just didn't have the wow factor which you expect from a superior room. After thinking about it for a bit, I decided to go and ask if they had any other rooms I could have a look at. (By which time, my boyfriend had unpacked all our stuff - woman's prerogative to change her mind, I know). I went to look at room 217 which was a lot nicer, and we were happy to accept it. After I was coming back up, one of the housekeepers showed me room 241, which was absolutely beautiful! We then settled into 241 with a smile on our faces.
We then realised that only one of the three windows would actually open - the other two had been painted shut (probably not intentionally), so the receptionist brought us a couple of fans to use, which helped cool the room down.

The breakfast was lovely - there was so much to choose from! Everything from cereal, fruit and yoghurts, to hot breakfasts like sausages, bacon and hash browns as well as a wide selection of fruit juices and teas & coffees.

The facilities were brilliant - we had the pool and jacuzzi to ourselves a lot of the time which was a treat! I also made use of the gym - not state of the art but it has all the essentials.

But saving the best for last - the dinner. This was without question the best meal I have ever had! If you pre-book, it will cost you a discounted rate of around £30 per head, but it was completely worth it. I had the terrine which was lovely, and my boyfriend had the prawns. The soup was also delicious, and the main course of Venison was absolutely outstanding. For dessert I went for the Chocolate Sandwich, and my boyfriend had Orange and Passionfruit Parfait which he loved.

All in all it was a lovely stay, and I wouldn't hesitate to book again. Special mention to the young girl who worked the bar on the Thursday evening, I didn't get her name but she had dark hair and wore a headband - she was lovely and nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: If you're unhappy, ask to see another room - but generally rooms with a bay view are your best b...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
St Annes on sea.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for our wedding aniversary whilst our son was at cub camp at Silverdale. After spending a couple of hours on line looking for a suitable hotel i suddenly remembered the Grange. The receptionist couldn't have been more helpful. Upgraded us to a junior suite and was totally transparent on tarriff. Room was fabulous. Had dinner which was superb. Waiting on staff very polite and attentive. Unusual these days !! Pool lovely and warm, and steam room for two cosy! A perfect weekend for us, if not for our son.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

we stayed at the grange for a couple of days and cannot praise the hotel highly enough from the spacious bedrooms which had superb views to the friendly helpful staff and excellent food it was a nice change to stay somewhere where everything was of a very high standard. Just wish we could have stayed longer

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Lake District
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

we attended a beautiful wedding and stayed an extra day. A fabulous hotel with stunning rooms and stunning wedding venue, especially when the sun shines! A great place for walking too. The hotel staff were lovely and very attentive. the leisure pool was lovely and warm and a lovely touch. We had lovely soft fluffy towels in our room which I just love, and the radiators lovely and warm. Superb free stranding bath too and large shower. The timer for the lights in the bathroom could just do with being a bit longer before plunging you into darkness! Otherwise you end up waving your arms around! Whilst the room was fab with an enormous bed, it could just do with a mattress topper as the joins of the two mattresses protrude through the sheet and spoil the bed, as well as being very uncomfortable to lie on. breakfast was lovely, plenty of choice. Yes it's pricey but if you can get a special rate, or wedding rate, then it makes a lovely special weekend for not just the bride and groom!

Room Tip: All rooms are stunning
Echternach, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We took my parents last year and enjoyed it so much we repeated our trip this year, only stayed longer. The second visit was every bit as good as the first. This hotel scores top marks for everything-rooms, location, food, ambiance, value for money and especially, the care and attention of all the staff.
Looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room at the front, a suite if you can. They really are suites and not just big bedrooms...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

We arrived to find we had been upgraded to a front room, giving us fantastic views. Thank you so much to the Grange Hotel for doing that. The room was wonderful, and very clean. The Hotel was not very full, which made it very tranquil and relaxed. All staff we very personable and helpful, we wish we could thank them all. However Christian the bar man was extremely nice and looked after us for our stay. And he introduced us to a New Zealand cider made with passion fruit....delicious! Breakfast was also wonderful. There is a nice buffet spread of cooked and continental foods. On top of that there are some additional options from the kitchen. The Kippers were delicious!! Food in the bar was also excellent. The potted shrimps were particularly good. But everything we had was a high standard. Whilst we did not eat in the restaurant, I'm sure that would have been a great experience.
Overall this is a really lovely Hotel, the staff are great, the location is perfect and stunning, and we really have no negatives. And we are generally quite picky. We can't wait to return!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay in Grange over Sands.
The Grange is a large hotel directly across the road/square from the lovely railway station.
The hotel itself was quite clean, airy and well maintained.
Our room (115) was good, had a very large bed with nice firm mattress which we loved .. The bathroom was ok with an excellent fitted (rain forest type) shower over the small corner bath ..
Room service was good and staff pleasant.
Only slight downside was the breakfast which was mass produced hot buffet accompanied by the usual cold buffet stuff ... (Eggs and kippers could be ordered separately) ..
Beware of booking if there is a wedding on as it will be noisy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from any wedding goers!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!