“Great value , great food , very unpretentious” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 124 Restaurants in Grantham
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Family run pub/restaurant with farm shop and bed and breakfast set in the lincolnshire countryside with a large garden and terraced area
CAMBRIDGE
“Great value , great food , very unpretentious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

This place was recommended to me by so many people . It is in the middle of nowhere , a quaint old style pub , very 1980s but it works . Food is extremely good value , decent quality , good portions . Wine choice is very very basic but that's ok . Nice roaring fire , ok service but great everyday food . The kind of place you would feel comfortable eating in every night !

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Grantham, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went as a party of 15 so we had to preorder our meals to which none of them turned up to the table as requested children's steak ordered as medium to well was brought to the table with blood ousting out of it lasagne was served burnt black on top and the bread was served burnt if you want a drink be prepared to wait 15 minutes to be served. All in all this is a pub that is carrying the tag of a good restaurant and to be honest struggles to deliver the service of a 2 for 1 family chain pub.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Leicestershire, UK
“Avoid the table by the door to the kitchen!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

If, like us, you visit for the first time and in the dark, you'll find not just the car park but the entrance to the Cholmeley Arms difficult to locate. I know it's an isolated rural pub, but even so we would have appreciated better signposting and lighting. Once inside we had a pleasant welcome. As other reviewers have said, the portions are gargantuan, so unless you have the appetite of Desperate Dan, the advice to skip the starters is worth heeding. We enjoyed our food, which was of undoubted quality, though our overall experience was spoilt by being seated at a table very close to the door to the kitchen through which there was constant traffic. We had booked days in advance so it wasn't that we were being squeezed in as late arrivals, yet this was how it felt. We left disappointed, which is a shame as others have so obviously found the place to be delightful.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Lovely experience - you must try this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

parents golden anniversary and thought we would love to go somewhere for a special Sunday lunch. had heard good things of the place and the reviews seemed to support this. What can I say - absolutely faultless. Really friendly staff and efficient without being in your face. Lovely fire and atmosphere, great beer and well the food....! Make sure you havnt eaten for a while cos the portions are not only huge, the choice is great and the quality is wonderful. Great value and faultless meal. The whole family loved it - if you havnt yet been I would urge you to do so.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I came for dinner as a large party here this week.
The place is absolutely beautiful! It's a lovely little country pub with great decorations everywhere. We especially enjoyed the family of tortoises leading up to the loos!
Walking in the back entrance was a bit confusing, I thought it was a house! It's so pretty and well kept!
I noticed that they have their own farm shop as well which is very quaint.
As we were part of a large party we had to pre order our dinners, which worked out really well as our food was brought out quickly!
As a vegetarian I was really excited about my food. I had the Brie to start which was delicious!
I also had the Butternut squash for my dinner which was also really nice. I was a bit upset to not see more vegetarian dishes on the menu, but I'm used to that sort of thing, and it makes choosing a lot easier!
I had the banoffee pie for dessert, it was the most delicious dessert I've ever had. I could've had 2!

The waitresses who served us were very professional and friendly.
The only thing that took a while was getting a drink as there was only one member of staff on the bar, and the bar is double sided, which also meant getting our bill took quite a while.

The food and drink are great value for money. I shall definitely be coming back for more banoffee pie!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere