“Warm welcome, lovely unpretentious food, and piping hot!” 5 of 5 stars

1 School Lane | Croxton Kerrial, Grantham, England
Improve this listing
Cuisines: European
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“Warm welcome, lovely unpretentious food, and piping hot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

We have just visited the peacock which is about 20 mins from Melton Mowbray on the Grantham Road. We had a very friendly and warm welcome by the couple managing/owing the pub. I had a mushroom goulash, creamy stater which was lovely, and my partner had deep fried Camembert! For mains I had a large piece of salmon, which was perfectly cooked, with butter and dill sauce, and it was served with a dish of buttery new potatoes and mixed leaf salad. My partner had fish and chips and they were really very good...much better than other pub fish and chips we've had. Both portions were piping hot and a good size (not over facing though). I managed to tuck away the nicest chocolate mud pie and ice cream too!

It was unpretentious dining, with a friendly atmosphere. We'd definitely go again.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Melton Mowbray
“AN UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Visited The Peacock on 21/3/10 to celebrate my wife's birthday. The leg of lamb we chose was fine but it was accompanied by close to raw green vegetables and disappointing roast potatoes which were as soft on the outside as they were within. The poorly trained young waitress did not return to the table to check if our food was OK.

I complained to the landlord and found his response astounding. No body else had complained that lunchtime so he refused to accept that there might be an issue. The chef visited our table shortly afterwards and gave a replica response. The conclusion I had to draw was that we, the customers, must have been at fault for daring to complain !

Still refusing to acknowledge that he had a problem, the landlord presented me with a bill which included drinks already paid for. He refused to make any reduction from our bill, but after further protest, he grudgingly offered to remove the price for one meal.
All in all a very disappointing experience. With all the advances made in this country in recent years in the field of catering, it is surprising that you can still encounter these unreformed, old-fashioned attitudes, and refusals to engage appropriately with customers who have legitimate complaints.
I would recommend you give The Peacock a wide berth. There are many superior places to eat between Melton Mowbray and Grantham, where customer service is accorded a higher priority. Avoid.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere