“Comfortable Friendly Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Halifax
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Comfortable Friendly Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went to watch the Northern Rail RL Cup Final at The Shay stadium so decided to book an advance stay over anticipating we would be celebrating. We were disappointed by the result but not the hotel! We weren't sure what to expect? Previous reviews were mostly good, but we were pleasantly surprised. The location is ideal for the town centre, being 5 minutes walk from the main shopping area. (15 minutes from The Shay) Again, for a town centre location there was ample free parking opposite the hotel entrance.

We were met on reception by very pleasant friendly staff who provided us with the local information we needed. The rooms were better than we were anticipating, well furnished if not a little basic, but we felt very comfortable. The breakfast was fine despite noting one or two adverse comments from previous reviews. Overall, exceptional value for money. I would definitely stay here again if I had the need to visit Halifax.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Wool Merchant is situated at the bottom of the town centre proper, has its own car park, however the station and bus station are very close by (easy walking distance). No disturbing traffic or night club noise and a good mattress secured a good nights sleep every night. Check-in and check-out efficient. The staff were without exception pleasant, polite, attentive and helpful. The room itself was okay, furniture a bit worse for wear, and of course carpets which are always dirty after a mere months usage. Air cooler supplied, but it wasn't needed even though it was very hot during my stay there. Hospitality tray, no mini-bar or fridge (lounge bar in basement). Bathroom -tub with shower curtain- adequate, though I have to say that the shower curtain was nice and clean. Breakfast served in basement comprised: cereal; juice; beans, canned tomatoes, sausage, bacon, scrambled egg (though you could order fried or poached eggs); toast and preserves; tea and (usually rather weak) coffee. Basic but adequate.
We had dinner at the La Taverna restaurant which was quiet, probably because it was mid-week: however we appreciated not having to go looking for somewhere to dine, and the food was fine.
The Wool Merchant is no luxury hotel, but very pleasant and gives excellent value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I booked thought booking.com got double room with an suite and cooked breakfast for 25 a night brilliant value. Staff very helpful 2 extra pillows more milk and coffee no problem at all free parking town centre just up the road.Breakfast was hot and tasty. I will be going back

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here with my partner for one night as we came down from Lincolnshire to see Jason Manford. Arrived a tad early (at about half 8 in the morning) but it wasn't a problem as we was given the ok to check in, man on reception was very lovely, checking everything was okay everytime we walked past reception. Room was average, you get what you pay for, pillows and quilt were a tad thin but slept well. Bathroom was fab, very clean and to my taste.
We ate at the Italian restaurant which is attached at to the hotel and run by the same people, we was seated at the armchair area first and our drinks order and food order was taken, we was a little confused at first as we didn't pay for our drinks straight off but soon came to realise they give you the choice of paying in the morning along with the room bill. We was eventually sat at our table, it was us and one other couple only in the place which was fine, still a nice atmosphere.
Our starters were given and just as we tucked in (the garlic bread is absolutely delicious by the way) the waitress was having a full on row with one of the other staff members (which I assumed to be the man on reception by the sounds of it, he seems to be the manager) not very professional and was a bit awkward. It seemed to have stopped but there was still the odd bickering throughout our meals. For the main I had Spaghetti Bolognese which is the best I have ever tasted, no joke! Overall, apart from the staff arguing it's a nice little gem of a restaurant.
Breakfast in the morning seemed good, we only had cereal on account of the staff stood staring against the wall near the breakfast layout which for me and my partner is very off putting but it did look a very good breakfast layout.

All in all I'd recommend it, you get what you pay for and it's tucked away enough not to be too close to town but a near enough walk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Basic, but about as expected for the money. Actually I will add that the room itself was surprising spacious, and the bed comfortable. My biggest complaint about the place is their website -- I would recommend booking through an alternate site, if possible. They seem generally surprised and ill-prepared when you use their site. The website itself is very outdated and it cannot seem to handle cancellations or reservation changes. It was all right in the end, but I had a long, ongoing communication with them about a duplicate reservation I had inadvertently made (because their website does not generate a confirmation email). They kept asking me to cancel the second one, and I kept telling them that it was impossible to do so (that I could see) on their website. If this was my mistake, no one ever corrected me or told me how their site worked. Eventually, they were able to cancel my duplicate reservation on their end, but it seemed silly how hard it was to do something so basic. So, if you need to stay here -- try a third party website, would be my advice.

The other thing I hesitate to mention because it was so odd, but a bit disconcerting at the time --
after I had thirstily drunk a glass of water right after getting there, I noticed a tiny(!) note on the door advising against drinking the water without boiling it. No explanation. I called reception and was reassured that "it's no problem," but couldn't get a straight answer about why the note was there. I think there was a bit of a language barrier as the person manning the desk (who was very nice) seemed to speak English as a second language. In the end, I did not get sick, so I guess it was fine. But it was still just odd.

I arrived at 10pm (I believe the cutoff was 11pm). One thing that I would mention is that while you had to call the number left out on the desk to reach someone at that hour, there didn't appear to be a phone available to do this. I was relieved that my phone still had some battery charge left as it had been threatening to die on me all evening, and I hadn't anticipated needing it.

The staff, though, was very helpful and friendly.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Monchengladbach, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed for one night, comfortable, clean, great location, ok breakfast. Definitely stay here again if need a hotel in the area. Asked for extra pillow because their was a wafer thin one on the bed and was given nice one. There was a party on in the restaurant downstairs but did not disturb me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tamworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Picked this hotel on a late booking site on arrival hotel was empty had to ring a number left on reception desk as desk is not manned all the time room bed and bathroom were clean bed had seen better days needs replacing and only two pillows not enough and had to ask for coffee and milk in room hotel was quite breakfast was good and freshly cooked staff were pleasant

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wool Merchant Hotel? Share your experiences!