“Great venue” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Northney Road | Portsmouth, PO11 0NQ, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hayling Island
“Great venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Here for a wedding. The venue is lovely, the food was good, the staff were great (especially Claire behind the bar who helped solve our problem!). The problem: asked what rose wines they had got the reply white Zinfandel, said it was too sweet what was their alternative, maybe a nice Pinot Grigio blush, answer ' no'. I ended up drinking water, not a problem BUT apparently they do do a nicePG blush but only by the bottle! Now this was never offered to me or my friend who was in the same boat and asked a different bar person, same answer. I think that this needs rectifying by a) retraining the staff (they could have sold us at least two bottles, we were there all day and evening) and b) offering their customers of a CHOICE of wine by the glass. This is not a small independent hotel but part of a large chain, surely a CHOICE is not beyond them. Now to Claire, it was her that told us we could of had a bottle and Claire that got us sorted with the wine we wanted. Why couldn't the other two have done that? Having said that, thoroughly enjoyed the day and the weather was superb which of course helps with the fine views that the Langstone offers.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
hotelcareteam, General Manager at Langstone Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I was delighted to learn that your stay with us at the Langstone Hotel was an enjoyable one and I have passed your comments onto the team. I have also discussed with my Food & Beverage Manager the issues regarding the wine and she will carry out re training with her team.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Clint Marsh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My new husband & I stayed at The Langstone Hotel on 22/6/13 we found the view lovely & the rooms to a very good standard.The Restaurant manager was exceptional & he should be very proud of all his staff who were very attentive on a very busy night. We would recommend your hotel to our friends & work collegues to try for themselves.
Thankyou for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 45 although it was next to a store room it was very quiet.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor and congratulations on your recent wedding.

I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and do hope you will return in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Booked a night away with the wife to do some retail therapy, booked direct with the hotel very good rate better than the net!,,
Sarah-Jane on reception was very nice giving us a harbour view room 131 all good not huge but nice and clean with a good hot powerful shower
Leisure club very nice large swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi free towels so can't complain.
There was a wedding on but no noise as we were at the other side from the reception.
Breakfast was busy but we were quite late in the rush hour but did not have to wait for a table food buffet style with tea and coffee brought to the table nice and hot plenty to choose from.
All in all a very nice night away its not the Ritz but don't charge £250 a night don't be put off by people thinking they should be getting something for nothing it is what it is.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback.

I am delighted your stay was an enjoyable one and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here for a conference and overnight stay and from start to finish it was a wonderful experience. A lovely welcome at reception and it didn't stop there.....The team obviously enjoy working there and it is refreshing to see. The room was very clean and well kept and a great size too. The setting of the hotel is ideal with the benefit of lovely views over the harbour during breakfast. If you are in the area....go here!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review of the Langstone Hotel.

Comments such as yours are very much appreciated as the team and myself are committed to a high standard of customer service and it is pleasing to receive such positive feedback.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was fine, but not one for a romantic break as its more geared for conference and business use. The rooms were ok, our delux offered complimentary water and chocolates! It was a 65p chocolate orange bar and a single bottle of water for one with one glass! We also had a single bed next to our double , which worked out ok because the double was sooo soft I kept rolling into the middle, fighting my hubby for space!! I opted for the single at about 3am!
Don't think we shall go again, but one big plus, is the pool, warm large and clean

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Langstone Hotel as it was not a romantic destination. Around 50% of guests that stay with us do so for leisure with many for weddings, anniversaries etc.

With regards to the quality of the beds, we do have a bed replacement program in place with 32 rooms having new beds within the last two months.

I do hope you will return in the near future.

Sittingbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The first view you get of the hotel is when you cross the bridge onto Hayling Island and go ‘wow’. It’s a beautiful location overlooking the water, made even better by our sunset arrival on the longest day of the year.

A friendly check-in and a comfortable room which, even though it was facing onto the rear car park, was very quiet.

With mirrors everywhere the room looked far more spacious than the reality. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was OK (although the bath plug mechanism was faulty)

A nice pool and a well equipped gym made a dull Saturday day more bearable.

The restaurant and bar were both very good - albeit pricey - and an easy 15 minute drive took us into Portsmouth centre which was great for shopping and the historical sights.

A lovely weekend but a word of warning: check your bill carefully on departure if you are on a room only rate - breakfast is an automatic addition unless you query it.

Looking forward to going back - hopefully when the sun shines!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed for a weekend visit to Portsmouth and although not as bad as was made out on some reviews it was slightly less quality than I expected.
Firstly the dining experience wasn't our greatest. The chicken dish my wife had was to be honest great however my pasta was way overcooked and upon a complaint I was served with undercooked pasta with a sauce that was so hot I believed to be reheated to the max in the microwave and literally covered in black pepper.
Chef made his apologies blaming it on the sous chef and subsequently I got, after 3 attempts, a main dish (steak) served that actually was quite nice.
The room was fine but the shower just flooded the bathroom as the screen does no where near meet the floor.
The leisure facilities do need a little tlc in my opinion.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor.

These comments have been highlighted to the management team and will be addressed to ensure it does not reoccur in the future.

If you would like to discuss your stay with us direct I would be happy to hear from you. My email is gm@langstonehotel.co.uk.

Clint Marsh

Been to Langstone Hotel? Share your experiences!