“Great, but dont buy too soon” 3 of 5 stars

Langstone Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Northney Road | Portsmouth, PO11 0NQ, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hayling Island
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Great, but dont buy too soon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The hotel is great. Staff were friendly and the food was very good (if very overpriced - £20 for 8oz steak). Rooms were quiet and area is lovely, though the TV channels were a mess. Dont book too early though. We booked a 'guaranteed low price' in Jan for 4th May, only to find the rooms were £50 cheaper two weeks before we left. Not suprisingly, they had a 'non tranferable, non refundable' policy when we enquired why our guaranteed lowest price was not the lowest. Quite annoyed, but otherwise a great stay

Room Tip: Stay on the west side as this is away from the venue halls
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have been here a couple of times now and would return as it is a very nice clean hotel with spacious family rooms and a good buffet breakfast with everything you could want and we love going to Southsea from here to walk along the sea front watching the boats and finishing in Gun Wharf Quays with its great shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: We look for the special offers on a triple executive room with breakfast included, they are the bett...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed there for one night with family. The hotel was nice enough to give us a complimentary connected room as wife and two kids were not fitting in one room. The rooms are nice and clean but it was a hot day and the heating was still on and they could not get the air conditioning working properly which made the rooms very hot and stuffy. Service was average. The room service food comes late. We ordered breakfast which took 20 min and they did not send butter or jam with the toasts. Decent parking lot. Wifi is terrible. Apparently you can pay and get upgraded to faster speed. Worst is empty food trays which line up the hallways. Why dont they pick them up regularly?

• Stayed May 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My son and I stayed at the Langstone as an Under 11 Rugby tour, so it was a fair bit more upmarket than we would usually use for such a thing - however, it was pretty much spot on. Our twin room was of a very decent size, with a double bed and a single bed. The room had clearly been renovated fairly recently - no plastic shower curtains, but a glass partition. Yes, just one set of towels in the bathroom, but additional sets on each bed. The mattress was much softer than I'm used to, but very comfortable. Couldn't really fault the room.
We had use of a couple of conference rooms, which were ideal for our needs, and a reasonable buffet - fairly basic but quite tasty food, ideal fort our needs. Only gripe - no dessert.
Breakfast was quite good - sausages not the best, and the waitress-based coffee system didn't get me enough coffee - better to leave facilities for the guests with the rest of the buffet, I think.
Aside from that, only two gripes - in this day and age, it's unacceptable to charge for internet access in my opinion. It comes over as penny-pinching and mean. Free WiFi is provided even by many cheaper establishments, it needs to be done here. Secondly, this sort of hotel really should provide at least one local real ale in the bar. The choice of bottled beers is OK, but it's not that hard to keep one traditional, and preferably local, beer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went on a shopping trip to Portsmouth, is not very close to the shopping centres but we've decided to stay here because of the facilities as we were traveling with children (indoor pool). The room was nice and big but as soon as I started to put our things in the wardrobe I noticed the bath robes had been used. One was with make up and the other one was very wet. (to be honest i was not planing to use the but made me think if the towels were clean).
We had a very nice sleep after being in the pool with the children.
The next morning went to have breakfast at 9:30am, not the best breakfast in the world but it was ok, the coffee was the worst I've ever tried. Anyway you know how children are slow to eat, after my one year old finished his yogurt I went to get some cereal for him, to my surprise the cereals were gone. It was 10:00 (I could see this was the time because there was a TV with the news and the time just on top of the cereals) when I ask one of the waiters if he could get me a small bowl with cereal for my son, he was upset and instead of apologise and just get me the cereal, he told me the were already closed and that's why he'd put away the cereal. There were 7 tables still at the restaurant I just think the staff could have easily ask "we are about to close, would you like something else?" To avoid this.. no one ask if everuthing was ok, they all seemed upset and with straight faces... we just think this is not a family friendly hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I booked for a friend and I to stay at The Langstone as a surprise for my friends 30th Birthday. We loved our stay from start to finish. We had luxury room which was perfect. The views of the harbour out of our window were lovely, the beds are the most comfy beds I've ever slept in and the room was lovely and big with the most amazing shower (although it did take me 5 minutes to work out how to use it!).
Dinner in the restaurant was very tasty. The staff were attentive but not "in your face" and all very friendly. My steak was cooked perfectly. The bar staff were lovely...two ladies whose names I didn't catch. They were lovely to talk to and topped off a nice experience in the restaurant.
We had the full breakfast the next morning which had everything you could need and plenty of tea :)
We spent the rest of the morning in the hot tub and having treatments in the beauty salon which was amazing to say the least.
Overall both my friend and myself were very happy with every part of our stay and would certainly recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbour view. Perfect if you are up/about during sunrise/sunset
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two days this week on business as it seemed a good price for Portsmouth . From the outside it looks scruffy and as a female they put me in a ground room and garden facing. You could see straight into the rooms of the adjacent rooms so on a hot day had ro shut curtains. Room basic and a little scruffy. Bathroom dated and pain when shower curtain keeps sticking to you ! Breakfast at 10.00 was poor, dont bother. However I stayed 2 nights and ate in the restaurant where the food portions were tiny and veg, potatoes etc were all extra. I had plaice with 4 cockles and two pieces of small pasta .this cost me 16.00. The following morning I had to cancel my business visit as I was incredibly sick with violent stomach pains etc. I will never stay here again !

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Langstone Hotel? Share your experiences!