“Afternoon tea - Mothers dayLovely Hotel stay” 3 of 5 stars

Langstone Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Northney Road | Portsmouth, PO11 0NQ, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hayling Island
portsmouth
“Afternoon tea - Mothers dayLovely Hotel stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

As a nice treat we decided to go for Afternoon tea here, expecting it to be a bit upper market. Although the experience was pleasant it could of been better. For instance the tea was held in the bar area with a view of the car park. We thought maybe it would of been held in the main restaurant or even with a bit of a view. For £12 a head we thought it was average and could of gone to a Tea room and had a better experience. The tea was offered on a platter each instead of a traditional tier tea stand. We still had a nice time as we were in good company, but would definatly try somewhere different next time.

I have stayed as a guest in the hotel a few times before and have always enjoyed our stay. Me and my partner stayed in a smoking room which always makes it a much more relaxing experience for my partner. The hotel facillities are great, staff always pleasant and the restaurant wonderful! Food is a bit pricey but well worth the money and experience!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Park Gate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My partner and I were looking for a bolt hole to stay,so I could recover after an illness .we found the perfect place to relax and eat.staff were lovely,room was great,food was very special.All in all well recommended.spa prices very reasonable too.so much better than the sterile chains.we will be back.

• Stayed February 2013
hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Like some of the other reviewers for this hotel, we were enjoying a special Travel Zoo discounted stay though at no time did we feel that we were second class guests. Our room was enormous and very stylish and we got on well with the beds, however, the bathroom while very "designer" was a nightmare. Really silly shower in a wet room that was completely flooded after two showers and was so minimalist that there was nowhere except the floor onto which to place shampoo, body wash, flannels etc. Had the person who designed this set up actually ever used it!!

Our deal included a dinner in the Brasserie and the food was excellent - really interesting and delicious and our little waitress couldn't have been more cheerful or helpful.

I didn't know there was a swimming pool at this hotel or I would have taken a costume, though I could have bought one there. The pool was a good size and I'm sorry I didn't make time for a swim.

This was a birthday treat for my husband and we did enjoy it, however, it has to be said that this is really a business hotel and not particularly comfy. Carrying heavy luggage we would have liked to have had the use of the lift and the directions to our room from the Receptionist were not particularly clear, the use of a porter would have been very welcome.

Room Tip: You might like to ask for a room with a somewhat more traditional shower.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sussex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel was nice enough. I stayed using a group on voucher and paid extra to be upgraded to a luxury room. I did find the room quite basic and not what I expected. If a room is for 2 people you would expect a couple of chairs in the room and not just 1. The shower looked amazing, but in fact quite disappointed with it.

There was a wedding on that evening so found it hard to get to the bar. Dinner was nice, quite expensive but I couldn't complain about the food.

If another deal came up I would consider it, but I won't be rushing back.

The spa facilities are more like a small swimming pool with a hot tub and 2 sheds (one is a sauna and one a steam room). the chlorine was so strong in the pool it actually bleached my boyfriends shorts. I was told someone would ring me the next day about it but 5 days on and still no phone call.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fareham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed overnight for a wedding and was very disappointed. 4* needs to be down graded to a 3*. The service was OK but nothing special and the reception staff said they would help with my bags yet 30 mins later I found myself struggling up the two flights of stairs on my own.
The room was nothing special, it was clean, there was a bar of soap provided and an 80s style mini kettle with cheap nasty coffee and UHT milk which they refused to provide more of. To top it off the bed linnen was torn and nothing was done when we reported it

So glad I booked through trivago and only paid £50

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had one night here using a deal that included dinner. The hotel itself was very nice, the safe were courteous and helpful and the location had a good view over the marina. As it was early in the year Hayling Island itself was deserted but the hotel was very busy as there was a wedding on the night we stayed.

The room we had was an upgraded superior room which had plenty of space but, the mattress on the bed was knackered and so soft we didn't sleep well at all. Also, the wet room had a shower that was too complicated for it's own good (2 shower heads, LCD display, 6 body jets, etc) and flooded the rest of the bathroom when you turned it on!

The stand out part of the stay was the brasserie restaurant, the meal was fantastic, the service was outstanding and we didn't feel rushed or overlooked. I would recommend the hotel just for the evening meal...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This review is based on my expectations of a 4* Hotel and 2* Rosette Restaurant, located on the northern point of an island. The Hotel needs to understand what make a stay enjoyable. The room was clean, but the kettle was old and basic and the tea/coffee/milk basket pathetic and as stated in previous reviews the bathroom toiletries poor.
The swimming pool was excellent, but th locker keys have no numbers on them, it is just a little detail, but so easily fixed.
They knew we had booked a deal through Travel Zoo which shouldn't have been a problem, except on arrival at the dining room it was clearly pointed out that there was a “special menu” for us.
The room had no ambience; the curtains, carpet and layout something out of the 70's together with a TV showing a flicking fire place DVD - really! The choice of meals was fine, no bread was offered with the starter, main course was good, except the accompaniments (poor) arrived in small white bowls, which cluttered the table and these were not taken away until the meal was finished. Dessert was very nice, but each course was served by a different person.
I know I am in my 50’s and times have changed, but there is no way that meal and service represented good value at £60 and I cannot commend the Hotel to other users.
Breakfast was self-service, not a problem, but at least toast could have been brought to your table, the food was ok but it wasn’t fresh and one of our mugs had a chip.
My hero is Alex Polizzi and there is no doubt that she raises the expectations of travellers and encourages them to examine their surroundings critically, no I didn't complain directly to the Hotel, I wanted to give it a week to reflect, which I have and the dissapointmnet is still palpable, but hopefully this review is balanced.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Langstone Hotel? Share your experiences!