“Generally very good” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Generally very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at the Newtown House Hotel for one night on the 14th February for valentines day and also had the 3 course valentines day meal in the restaurant. I booked it several weeks in advance through Booking.com, had the confirmation and was ready to go. A week before the visit the hotel rang to confirm our booking for the meal and ask for a £20 deposit. No problem. Then a few days before the trip they rang to ask if I had received the pre-order menu. I hadn't. They e-mailed it over and asked me to return it with our choices ASAP. Fair enough, but I then had to run through the choices with my wife which would have spoilt any surprise of a surprise trip had I been planning it as such. I hadn't, she knew. The room we had was clean, spacious and accommodating. After a quick search we found the tea and coffee making facilities hiding in the wardrobe, sneaky little tykes!
The Valentines meal was lovely. All three courses were absolutely delicious and a bargain at £25 a head with a bottle of wine thrown in. An eatery near to where we live would charge you close to that for the main course alone (we had the beef fillet-perfectly cooked). However the organisation around it could do with a bit of attention.We had gone into the bar beforehand and my wife had a glass of wine from the bottle that came with the meal. Going through we collected the bottle and bought it in with us where the waiter put it into an ice bucket. So far so good. We nibbled on the fresh bread (nice) and then the starters arrived. I wasn't drinking the wine but wasn't offered a drink, nor were we offered any water. We finished the starters and within moments the mains arrived. A bit quick but hey ho. At this point I had to ask another waiter for a drink. We finished the mains and again within moments the puddings arrived. We had to pause for a bit to let the mains go down. Nobody should be expected to digest food that quick! I also noticed that another couple had their mains bought out whilst they were still having their starters (they didn't look impressed). I thought the quick service was because of a second sitting but another couple finished and the waiter cleared their table completely without re-laying it. For what was meant to be a romantic meal the whole occasion was very rushed. I got the bill then had to wait a little while for the waitress to return so I could pay it. This meant going through to the bar as the card machine does not get a signal in the restaurant. What happens when the bar is busy and the eaters have to queue up there to pay?
The overnight stay was fine except for the room temperature (required opening the windows in February and letting the road noise in) and the outside ground lights pointing directly at our window. The curtains were thick enough but try as you might you couldn't block all the orangey glow out. The bathroom facilities were very good apart from the height of the shower head which seemed to be fixed a little too low. I'm 5'10" and had to crouch a bit. God help any six footers! The breakfast, like the meal the night before, was outstanding and not rushed. its not often you get black pudding and fried bread on a full English nowadays and the lady serving us was lovely. All in all we enjoyed our stay and had very few niggles, apart from the ones previously mentioned. The staff were friendly and helpful, the décor was lovely and clean and the whole place had a nice atmosphere to it. i can imagine it being a popular xmas hotel, especially if the fires get lit! If we visit Hayling Island again we would probably stay at the Newtown House Hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
keithb209, General Manager at Newtown House Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you very much for the review and feedback which I always ask for whenever possible. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us for Valentines. Obviously, I will be talking to our waiting staff about your comments, I want our Guests to feel at ease and not rushed in any way so that the Newtown experience is exceptional in every way. I very much look forward to you staying with us again.
Barry White, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Every time we visit we seem to find new bar staff.Which is odd seeing they say as you leave see you tomorrow but when you visit they have gone and new staff appear.The fire in reception area could be lit more often as this makes a nice welcoming feature

Room Tip: Not overlooking back door as smokers gather there
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
keithb209, General Manager at Newtown House Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
After reading your comments I would like to advise that we have many staff that operate on a rota basis. This means that you might not see the same member of staff the following day. Due to many functions and weddings that take place we have to be fair on our staff and mindful of the commitment and hours from each employee. With regards to the "real" fire, we always have it alight when it is really cold and agree it is welcoming for our Guests upon arrival.
Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Hayling;mid-winter,cold and miserable,sad as our recent visit was to pay our repects to our beloved family member.
But to our delight,Newtown House,the building,ambience and ultimately all the staff made our stay not only welcoming,but above all refreshingly comforting and homely.
All the team were professional,polite and caring,from the maintainance man to the General Manager,and catered for our every need,making us & all the family more relaxed during these difficult times.
Just when a bit of TLC was the order of the day,and the stiff upper lip became difficult to maintain,every member of staff rallied to look after us.Probably the best Hotel on the Island.
Many thanks to Barry White and every member of the team.Phil & Brenda

Room Tip: Any room should be fine
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
keithb209, General Manager at Newtown House Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Phil and Brenda,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments regarding your stay. Obviously it was a difficult time for yourselves and your family and we were only too pleased to help in any way. Hopefully we will see you again very soon in different circumstances and to give you the same hospitality.
Barry White, General Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

My main problem with this hotel is that its gotten a little too big for its boots. It thinks its rather special (as seen in the prices) but is rather average.
Not bad but certainly nothing special.
Also went to a wedding her a few months ago. The venue looked lovely but the food was awful, the happy couple left disappointed having expected more because of the inflated prices.

• Stayed December 2012
keithb209, General Manager at Newtown House Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
I am extremely sad to read your comments concerning the Hotel and your feelings. We are passionate about the service and quality provided each and every day and take any negative feedback as a topic to improve what is on offer. We monitor closely what our competitors are offering and act accordingly.
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We booked our wedding at Newtown House for Dec 30th 2012, back in April 2012, from the initial enquiry we were very impressed with Carol and staff at Newtown. Fell in love with the venue and facilities at first viewing, Newtown is very private,welcoming and the wedding venue is very attractive. On the day of the wedding all run to plan thanks to Carol and her staff, the civil service was laid out perfect, and whilst we were having photos done the staff at Newtown turned the room around into a beautiful venue for the wedding Breakfast. The food was lovely, all guests commented on how nice the food was, service to the tables were promt and professional. We booked the honeymoon suite for the night of the wedding, the room was lovely and clean, several other family members stayed overnight too and enjoyed the pleasant overnight stay, breakfast in the morning was of very high standard. Overall I would highly recommend Newtown house for a wedding, the grounds are lovely, the wedding venue is perfect and private and I would Like to Thank Newtown and Carol for their hardwork and efforts in making our special day run to plan and smoothly. Ria and Sam from Hayling Island Hampshire

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your special day on December 30th. I am very pleased and hope you visit us again in the near future. I will pass your comments on to my Team.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I went for Christmas day lunch at the Newtown. The service was brilliant - the waiting staff couldn't have been more accommodating and the food was very reasonably priced. A great Christmas experience

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
keithb209, General Manager at Newtown House Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your visit at Christmas. It is a pleasure to offer the service and I will pass on your praises to my staff.
B.White
High Wycombe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

On our arrival we were introduced to the new general manager Barry by the reliable Carol and in no time a friendship started, he said a new head chef had also just started and was working on new menu's. In the evening we tried the new restaurant menu and WOW how we enjoyed it only problem was that after starter and main we had no room for the tempting deserts service and food top class.Everything was top quality and the highest standards all round a must for any stay. we will be back in December and made our bookings for next year. many thanks to Barry and all his team for the perfect stay see you all soon. Doug & Beryl Hook.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
keithb209, General Manager at Newtown House Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Mr & Mrs Hook,
Many thanks for your favourable comments regarding your stay. I am so pleased my Team gave you a pleasurable experience and I will be passing your praises on to them. We will look forward to your next visit.
B.White

Been to Newtown House Hotel? Share your experiences!