“AVOID THIS HOTEL” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Harlow
yorkshire
“AVOID THIS HOTEL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My soon to be ex-husband (following booking this appalling hotel) booked us a double room for an overnight stay. Unfortunately he made the mistake of not reading trip advisor reviews prior to booking. The room cost us £50 for bed and breakfast. When the only receptionist showed us to our room alarm bells started to ring as we made our way up a narrow rickety threadbare, dirty carpeted stairwell to our room. One can put up with a small room (and this was small) as we were literally only needing somewhere to put our heads for the night. We did not have time to do much checking as we had an engagement in London. We arrived back at the hotel about midnight. The first thing I noticed on entering the room was the strong stench of sewerage, not something I had noticed earlier. It was coming from the bathroom. Furthermore the cistern lid was cracked and there was a disgusting dirty plastic toilet brush by the side of the toilet. Shattered we got ready for bed and on turning back the duvet I was horrified to find numerous hairs of various types (!) on the sheet and it appeared stained in places. There is no excuse for any hotel not to change the bed linen in between customers, clearly this hotel thinks otherwise. I slept in my night wear including dressing gown and socks. . We were kept awake by some annoying flies and I had to get up to swat these. On opening the curtains the following morning the view out of the window was far from appealing. We had a view of the bins and rubbish was strewn around.
Having experienced this we were not looking forward to breakfast but decided to go as we had a long journey looming. The breakfast room was in the Indian Restaurant. There was a strong smell of curry (don't get me wrong, I love a curry but not the smell at breakfast time). We were not greeted by anyone, the room was dingy and a couple of grubby looking cereal canisters were on a randomly located trolley at the far end of the room. The table cloth still had the previous nights curry stains and particles of food and the carpet looked like someone had emptied an ashtray over it.. Eventually someone asked us whether we would like tea or coffee. These were placed on the table with no milk. We eventually found a huge jug of milk on the trolley. Two minutes later a couple of slices of white toast were put in front of us and that was it. No communication or explanation that this was breakfast. My husband called through to the kitchen to ask if we were expecting any warm food, the answer was 'no' (the tiles as far as we could see looked old, the grouting worn and dirty, an ideal breeding environment for bacteria).
This hotel clearly is not up to scratch. It needs closing for a full refurbishment which looks unlikely under the current management!
Having got this off my chest I may reconsider retaining my husband as long as he signs an undertaking that all future hotel bookings are carried out by myself!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Colchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Not a pleasant experience. Dirty sheets, mill dew in the shower, uncomfortable beds.
Had to wait 20 mins before i was even greeted at reception. Asked in the chinese on site
and got told to wait at reception. Went back and managed to pursuade them to ring the receptionist. Still yet to be charged for room, but keeping an eye on my credit card as previous
people had reported dodgy amounts coming out.
According to a local, this hotel is frequented by cheating partners.

Room Tip: do not use
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
hull
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

After reading other reviews I was pleasantly suprised overall with this hotel, clean well decorated rooms 2 restaurants, both very good value, but I would not advise for families

• Stayed May 2012
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We arrived at this hotel after booking online and realised that we had made a big big mistake. The appearance of the hotel from the outside was run down, dark and plain miserable. When we were lead to the room, we found the room was cold, dark, one towel between two of us, the shower room was full of hairs, the beds had one protective cover and no bottom sheet, and the head board kept moving away from the bed. The room smelt horrible, the hotel was totally unkempt. The TV was perched on a chair at the end of the bed with hardly any clear picture, it was just plain snowy. We decided to change rooms. The only consolation is that the radiator was working. The noise was absolutely ridiculous from the restaurant below. Whatever you do, don't take a chance at this hotel (Bates Hotel). I would rather take my chance at Fawlty Towers!)

Room Tip: There aren't any.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Buckingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

The company booked me in here as the Premier Inn was fully booked and this was only a few yards up the road. I was shown to the room and left. I was speechless. Never have I seen a more basic room with a bed and bed linen that would be more suited to a sleezy hore house. I went straight back to reception to say it wasn't acceptable. I was shown a 'better' room which just had an additional bed and was larger. Otherwise as bad. Avoid at all costs. Not friendly and not for humans.

• Stayed January 2012
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stopped 1 night inJanuary in a so called family room and a twin room. The family room stank, the bedding was stained and the heating didn't work. The solution provided was a small convector heater with a broken leg. There was 1 glass and 1 mug with the tea and coffee, all covered in dust. The twin room was cleaner and didn't smell, but one of the beds was minus half the castors so tipped back and forth when my son sat on it. The whole place was run down and dirty and the staff seemed totally disinterested. We left by 8am - no sign of any breakfast but by then we just wanted to get out. I've visited someone in our local homeless hostel and it was far better than this.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed in the oasis for a few nights. When I first arrived there, there was no one at the reception and I had to wait 10 minutes before anyone came. I was then led to my room and was told they didn't have a key for my door so I couldn't lock it when I went out. When I entered my room I was appalled. The furniture was falling apart and was covered in green stains and paint. The walls were marked and dirty. The floor in the shower was scratched and dirty. There was cobwebs in the corners of the room and several spider hanging from the ceiling. I tried to sleep but there was shouting all throughout the hotel and the noise of the traffic was to loud. After I finally went to sleep I woke up to go to breakfast. I was waiting for 20 minutes before it came and I was served tea in a dirty stained cup. The breakfast was so appalling I had to walk to a cafe and get my breakfast. I am highly surprised environmental health have not shut it down. The hotel is appalling and the staff are arrogant and barely talk english.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to The Oasis Hotel? Share your experiences!