“Great value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Harlow
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
“Great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Spent one night here ( august 24 2013 ) could not fault the place, the hotel was busy with a wedding party, the staff were fantastic, the room was modern clean and very comfortable, the breakfast was delicious and the choice was abundant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a great feedback about Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We hope will see you staying with us again!
Viktorija Stanciukaite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Overall this hotel is of a good standard for the money that we paid. It is clean,generally the rooms are lovely you can tell it is a new hotel.
We booked a room to accommodate 2 adults & 2 children 16 & 11. I think they class children upto the age of 17,so as far as I was concerned this room was suitable. I also knew that it was a double bed and a sofa bed.

Check in was efficient and we was greeted warmly on arrival,told when breakfast was served and allocated our room. Overall the room was lovely and very clean,tea making facilities,tv with numerous channels,air conditioning and a big shower in the bathroom. It was just a surprise when we tried the sofa bed OMG it was horrendous the mattress was so thin that you could feel the springs digging in you,the first night we had to put the quilt on top of the mattress and ask for another quilt. The following morning I spoke to the lady on reception asking if the mattress could be changed she went straight away to look at the mattress then left it in the hands of housekeeping. I asked if they would leave a handover for the next shift to let me know what they had done because we would be out all day in London. On our return no handover had been left and as far as we was concerned the mattress had not been changed. So the following morning I spoke again to reception and had to wait for them to bring another mattress up before we could leave for another day in London. The manager of housekeeping brought the mattress up which was just as bad,explaining that all the mattresses were like that and other than booking an extra room ( at our expense ) there was nothing that could be done, and that really the sofa beds were only meant for small children ( even though the children's age limit online is 17 yrs,which I did point out to her ). I did find her a little bit patronising and in need of maybe learning some customer service skills, she came across that she was right and we was wrong. I did lodge a official complaint and I'm waiting for the area manager to get in contact with me. So the entire 5 night stay we had to sleep on 2 quilts on top of the mattress. So if you have older children just be warned and maybe request 2 extra quilts.

The breakfast was good, with a selection of hot & cold drinks,bread rolls,sweet pastries,croissants,bread,selection of cereals,yogurts,fruit and sausage,beans & scrambled egg. I was ok with the selection of hot food items but I know some people would like a wider choice. You could eat as much as you wanted, and it was self service.

We have only ever stayed in a premier inn so this was our first time with this company so it did put us off a bit with the beds,I'm not saying I would never use them again I'm just waiting for my reply regarding my complaint to reserve judgement. Just thought it was worth mentioning to other would be travellers.

The location was ideal to the town centre,right next door to the bus station and there was a shopping centre across the road from it with all your high street shops,including next,jd sports,h & m,primark,etc.There was a asda round the corner and eating places like Frankie & Bennies,Nandos,pizza hut. We would go each morning to get sandwiches from asda to take into London with us for dinner,saving us a fortune.

If you are using this hotel has a base for visiting London like we did here is some information you might find useful.
There are taxis outside the hotel to take you to the train station if not the receptionist will phone for you one. It was Roughley between £4.50 & £6.50 each way. We went over the weekend including bank holiday Monday and paid £8.65 each for a day saver that could be used on all public transport between zones 1-6, so all over head trains,underground and buses,fantastic value for money. We travelled as 2 adults and 2 children, but with our eldest being 16 he was classed as an adult, however it was cheaper to purchase 4 adult tickets rather than 3 adults and 1 child so just ask which way is cheaper for you.
On the Tuesday it was cheaper to go after 9.30 which cost £10.25 each or you could go after 11 and pay the £8.65 but you was restricted to times coming back.

Overall we had a fantastic time in London and if anyone would like to ask any questions I'd be more than willing to help if I can.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Geoff,

Thank you kindly for such a detailed review about Holiday Inn Express Harlow. I am sure all other travelers will benefit from the information given. I have forwarded your comments with regards to sofa beds to our head office and also discussed this issue with IHG Hotel Performance Director. I can assure you we are in the process of making sure this issue is sorted and making sure as a hotel we deliver great customer satisfaction. As being new hotel in the area, every feedback is very important to us, as it allows to improve the service we give and product we offer. If you feel you would like to discuss anything further, please email me at gm@express-harlow.com or give me a call 01279 624 380 and I will be happy to discuss it with you.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Harlow as a base for a weekend London sightseeing.

We are a family of 4 and shared a room with a double bed and sofa bed but did find it to be rather cramped for us, next time we would rather book 2 rooms.

Room was spotless, lovely huge hot shower, we had 1 rather flat pillow each and when we asked for more we were told the hotel was full and no more were available.

Complimentary breakfast was good, toast, cereal, fruit, pastries, beans, scrambled egg, sausage so plenty to choose from.

Harlow has a train service directly to Liverpool Street station which runs about every half hour as its on the Stanstead Airport line, the station is about a £5 taxi ride away and the taci rank is right outside the hotel. We used the hotel as a base to explore London but didnt think much of Harlow itself.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We are grateful for your feedback and apologies for not being able to provide you with extra pillows. I will make sure we have enough stock, so we are covered once the hotel gets fully booked again.
Hope will see you staying with again!
Swindon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Good points- friendly helpful staff with one exception only. Special thanks to sunshine-temperament Ewa and helpful efficient Ben. Clean rooms and building in general. Bedroom a good size and well equipped.

Bad- disabled access from car park a joke. You have to get back in through a fire escape which naturally only opens from the inside. You may be left waiting for 20 minutes or more in the car park while they remove non disabled cars from the disabled spaces.
Also: breakfast awful.

Summary: if you have disabled people in your party, do not use this hotel if you can find any alternative.

• Stayed August 2013
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying in Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We are really grateful for your feedback with regards to the disable parking facility. We have got now and again people with disabilities staying in our hotel and they are really happy with facilities we have to offer. With regards to the parking issue,please note there is reception phone number on the hotel wall saying 'if you require any assistance please call reception 01279 624 380'. Due to limited car park, we always reserve parking space for disable guests. We are not able to change the planning of the building, but reception team always does all their best to make sure every guest is happy. I would be grateful if you could give me more information about breakfast, which were 'awful' according to you. We offer complimentary Express Start breakfast which includes 3 hot items(sausages, baked beans and scrambled eggs). All other hotels in the area are charging extra for the breakfast. Please feel free to contact me by email gm@express-harlow.com or phone 01297 624 380 if you feel you would like to discuss your concerns further.
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have recently returned from a 2 night break at the Holiday Inn Express, Harlow. Myself and my partner had a family room with our 8 year old son.
The room was fantastic, clean, spacious and ideally located to the main shopping area which held may places to eat.
The only slight downside was the breakfast, whilst the cold offerings were great there was not much there in terms of hot breakfast choices (scrambled egg, beans and sausages).
The price was fantastic though and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Would recommend this hotel every time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We are grateful for your feedback and looking forward to seeing you coming back soon!
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

After checking in we were given key card to room. However, on arrival at room, it was already occupied. Back down to reception who informed us that this happens all the time. Was swiftly allocated another room, only to discover sink was blocked. Reported this to reception, who told us they will look at, but obviously didn't as it was still the same the next morning!
Other than the blocked sink, the room was clean and modern.

We used the bar, however had to wait as no one serving on bar, just a chef behind there informing us the he couldn't serve us. Drinks once served were reasonably priced. However we were unable to charge to our room due to the mess up at check in.

Breakfast ok - cheap, cheerful and edible.

So on to check out, where the receptionist informed us that we needed to settle the room bill. Although we had already paid as we booked through Late Rooms on an advance rate. This was then rectified and we were told not to use this agent as they were unreliable.

This hotel really needs some structure - its run by kids...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Davisk27,

Thank you for your recent feedback about Holiday Inn Express Harlow. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. I am struggling to understand why have you been checked into the occupied room? Please note,we take guests security seriously and not sure what happened upon your arrival. Also we have checked our records and we haven't got any report about blocked sink in July from the family room. I am not sure, why did you say that breakfast was cheap, as we are not charging for breakfast and it is included in the room rate. Our Kitchen chef does not come out of the kitchen and I don't understand what was he doing behind the bar as per your review? With regards to the payment at the bar and also checkout payment, did you speak with a duty manager? Could you let me know whom did you report any of these issues? I haven't received any email and there was no message left about any of these issues. Please note, laterooms website is very reliable and we have never had any issues with this website. Once again I cannot understand what happened during your stay. I would be grateful if you could call me 01279 624 380 or email gm@express-harlow.com in order to discuss about your recent stay. I am sorry to see you haven't contacted me directly in first place and left a review on the website instead. I would be grateful if you could get in touch with me with your booking details, because I was not able to find your details. Every review I take seriously especially if the guest was not happy.
United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed here recently and it was a generally good experience.

Except for the hoards of oriental children on a tour. . . . . .

Finding somewhere to eat breakfast in the morning was really hard (and you can forget listening to the television) and the detritus of the hoards was left everywhere. The appear not to have learnt how to clean up afterwards.

I only ate at the bar once in the evening. Other food establishments are available.

Car parking is hit-and-miss. There is a free onsite car park that is too small. The overflow is a public car park at £3 a night. At least when I was able to use the car park I kept to the normal bays and didn't resort to hogging a disabled bay.

I'll stay again, as long as it's not on the foreign students' tour dates.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We are grateful for your raised concerns and please note, we are working on how to handle breakfast peak time. I hope you will see the difference when you will visit our hotel next time. I do agree with limited car park in our hotel, but having the facility to park next door for £3 only is also a great value for money. Please note for non hotel residents multi storey car park is charged at £5 until midnight. Having said so, hope this will not deter you from staying in our hotel again.
If you wish to discuss any further concerns, please feel free to contact me by email gm@express-harlow.com
Viktorija Stanciukaite

Been to Holiday Inn Express Harlow? Share your experiences!