“Well worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kinross
Edinburgh. Scotland
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed twice before in windlestrae hotel and thought we would give it's sister a try this time around. Well worth the visit. A lovely four poster spacious room overlooking the gardens, room 25. Only complaint about the room is the mattress, we found it much too hard and our sleep was wasn't as sound as we would have hoped. Down to personal preference though and a firm mattress may suit others. The staff were wonderful and very attentive, there customer service is second to none and they obviously take a pride I where they work. I can't remember the names of all the staff we found to be very good but would like to mention Callum, Rachel and heather. The management should be proud of all,of their staff. There appeared to be a very confident relaxed atmosphere and I'm sure a lot of hard work has gone in to staff training.

The food in Basil's was excellent and again a lovely dining experience. We also ate in jock's bar, no complaints there either. Very attentive staff and very tasty food at reasonable prices.

We made good use of gravity leisure facilities, attentive, helpful and friendly staff there too.

The beauty room was a great relaxing experience and the girls in there couldn't be faulted. Wonderful.

The only negative comments I can make is the bathrobes in the room were a bit on the small side, great if you were a lady size 10 but any bigger and you would be struggling to close. On the face of it a very small complaint. The breakfast wasn't the best. I would have expected a bigger selection and choice at a 4 star hotel. Having previously visited the windlestrae I found their breakfast to better, laid out better and a much better selection and options.

Already looking to arrange my next visit.

Room Tip: Room 25 was lovely and right t the end of the corridor so very little in the way of noise, a very qu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Northumberland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went on a spa and golf weekend. Booked a day on each golf course before hand. Hotel is on two sides of the road with the spa and gold on one side with a small hotel and the other hotel on the other side of the road which was the main hotel. When we arrived women at reception kept trying or book us in for only one night rather than two. I wish I has let her. The room was large but outdated furniture old and tired. The bathroom need done out bath was filthy and ceiling needs painted to get rid of flaking paint. Dinner was included and we had it at the main restaurant. Diner was nice we were the only guests in that night so it was quite but the food was good, I went for a massage the next day and when I came back my fella was already back from golf.

They had chosen that day to join the two golf courses together to make a winter course, they hadn't marked out the holes or the tees making it pretty impossible for anyone to play golf there. After along time trying he gave up and came back to the hotel. It was explained to me that the golf course does not mark out its course unless they are having visitors that day which being a gold hotel you think they would have a lot of the time.

Not wanting to have the same experience the next day instead of playing in the morning we left early to go and see some more of lovely Scotland. The hotel did give me almost the cost on one golf round back and said they would arrange a deal for me to come back in the new year. Never heard anything sine which is probably good after such a lot of wasted money I wouldn't return

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed overnight in a lovely large bright room - #7 - with a king size bed, coffee and tea making facilities, trouser press (which I didn't use) and bathroom with ample shampoo etc. I had met friends in Jock's Bar the night before and we all enjoyed our meal. The full Scottish breakfast was delicous. I loved the fact that I had a carafe of coffee on the table and could serve myself. All the staff throughout the hotel were very efficient and friendly. I had a minor problem with my reservation (nothing to do with the staff) and it was remedied quickly. The only down side I can think of was the disgusting state of the drinking glasses in the bathroom. Everything else was very clean, so I can only think that these were overlooked by the housekeeping staff.

Room Tip: I was in a room on the ground level at the east side of the hotel. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Feb 2013. Reception staff lovely, all staff lovely in fact. We had a lovely relaxing stay, room large and bright, great nights sleep. Food great, staff lovely. Swimming pool in sister hotel fab. Lovely breakfast. Would definitely recommend for a week end away. Our 6 year old son loved the hotel too, in particular the swimming pool.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bathgate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed in Feb 2013. The food was the best aspect of this hotel stay. Breakfast, great selection. Service very good. Both restaurants in hotel were good. Jocks bar served great reasonably priced pub food. The main restaurant food was superb and great value.
The room we had was very large but old fashioned needing make over. Clean room clean towels.
The hotel across the road is where the pool is. It was a bit if you pain having to leave the hotel to go to the pool. Pool was nice.
OverAll good food nice staff but rooms average
We will be back

A

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is our fourth stay here, cant wait for the next!!! The room my husband and I were allocated when we first arrived was rather small, but we were given the opportunity to change rooms, which we did. As always, all staff were lovely and chatty-but always professional in manner. The hotel has a lovely atmosphere-chilled out and relaxing! Food is amazing-congrats to the chef!!! The two waiters on our stay were very welcoming-well done Cameron+James!! Good luck to Cameron in his new job-you'll go far! Thanks again!

• Stayed March 2013
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

my wife and I travelled with our parents to this hotel as we had received the offer of two rooms through a promotion.

I must say the surroundings are really nice and the walk round the loch is highly recommended. A couple of issues prevented this from being a 5* review, which I will detail later.

The rooms were very good; spacious, clean and the bath/shower was very powerful and hot. The welcome pack advertises the tv as having sky sports however this is incorrect as I called up reception only to be told they stopped offering Sky Sports a while back. I was disappointed and the welcome pack should have been updated to reflect this.

As they have a curling rink on site I was looking forward to having a shot however it wasn't until we arrived on site that we were told by the curling staff, not even by the hotel staff, that you had to have experience or else you weren't allowed on. Again, this should have been communicated to us prior to us turning up and asking for a game.

The food was good, we all really enjoyed the breakfasts and we would have no hesitation returning for a night. I think any longer and we would have become fairly fed up with the hotel quite quickly because the drink was expensive and the town feels fairly deserted so there isn't a great deal to do.

Room Tip: Room 21 has a nice view of the gardens
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Green Hotel? Share your experiences!