“Beautiful,restful with a professional caring service.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 9 Activities in Lerwick
More attraction details
Owner description: Northern Lights Holistic Spa is Shetland's only residential purpose built Spa and is indeed the UK's most northerly. It is located on the small island of Bressay which is just 5 minutes away, by ferry, from Lerwick. Facilities include, Sauna, Steam Room, Hydro Spa, Infrared Detox Sauna, Floatation suite, plus a complete range of complementary therapies. Our accommodation comprises of four well appointed rooms, all with en-suite facilities.
cardiff
“Beautiful,restful with a professional caring service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

Bressay has a lot to offer nature loversandThe Northern Lights Spa has a lot to offer if you want quality service in a beautiful location.
I could'nt believe how sweet the air smelt as I stepped off the plane in Shetland.As an asthmatic I notice these things.
The whole Shetlamd experience is amazing with wonderful light for photos, an amazing selection of wildlife, and a population that is naturally friendly.
The cream on top of this all was the Northern Lights Spa. We visited in summer so the sun never set.I could see the sheep in the field out side my window at 3 a.m.They kindly did'nt start bleating until 6 a.m.I was in awe of it all.No noise but the sheep and the song of birds.
Vee and Paul will do all they can to make your stay enjoyable.The dinners are really special.The fish is fresh and the presentation is a piece of art.No surprise then that Paul is a first class chef.
If you want a therapy then you will get the best.
I intend going back again.And when I returned to Cardiff I felt I had left behind an Island where I would want to live.Within 24 hours my asthmatic cough had returned from breathing our City fumey air..It will suffice though to return to Shetland for a break--and I won't be staying any where else but the Northern Lights Spa.
Jill.

Lancashire
“A magical and amazing week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I was lucky enough to work for a week in Lerwick. I researched places to stay, and loved the idea of staying on Bressay and doing a six minute ferry commute! I spent over a week at the Northern Lights Holistic Spa and was really sad to leave. I went to Shetland to work and came away feeling refreshed, relaxed and very content.
Vee and Paul are beyond wonderful. They looked after me so incredibly well. They make you feel very special, and you know that they mean it.
The food was sumptuous, everything locally sourced. Both Paul and Vee are huge "foodies", and each meal was a huge treat. To crown all this, I was picked up from the ferry after work each day, and returned to the hotel, straight into the spa - sauna, steam room and hot tub. At the weekends I enjoyed tremendous walks on Bressay (helped along by Vee's fabulous packed lunches!). I also managed to treat myself to three of the treatments at the spa. They, too, were tremendous.
I have already booked to go back. It is that good!
Christine, Bolton

Winchester
“A great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

I picked the Northern Lights as I had some work in Lerwick and wasn't keen on any of the hotels in town. I was a little bit nervous about staying on Bressay as I didn't want to be paid all my expenses and then turn up late because of a problem with the ferry. In fact I nearly got cold feet and chose somewhere else, but I was very glad I didn't. The ferry was easy and cheaper than I'd thought. It's £8 one way but they don't charge for the journey back.

As a place to stay it was great. It is a holistic spa and there is certainly a 'spa-ness' about it. You can get your chakras balanced if you want to, but it isn't overbearing in any way. It's quite possible just to stay there and enjoy being on the island, which is pretty much what I did when I wasn't working. If you want a business hotel, mini bar, 47 channels of rubbish and a saucie movie discreetly added to your bill, then it may not be the place for you. For anyone else I would highly recommend it. It does have WiFi and certainly when I was there it worked well. The place is spotless, the rooms are very comfortable and it was easy to work there. The food was good and the spa excellent. I made use of the sauna, turkish bath and hot tub - all included in the rate - and on my last day I treated myself to a full body massage which was also great.

The owners were very friendly. They were chatty and helpful without being intrusive and gave me loads of information to help me get the best out of the time off that I had. Bressay itself is a small island, but it is feasible to explore pretty much all of Shetland from there if you want to and in the summer of course you can go to Noss. While I was there, Noss was closed, but I still saw plenty of wildlife and you won't see many other walkers, joggers or in fact pretty much anyone at all.

If I was going to Shetland for more than a few days on a family holiday, I probably wouldn't spend all of my time at the spa, but I would certainly try to include it in the trip if I could.

Glasgow
“Good food, wonderful setting, great company and fabulous massages!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

We searched long and hard for nice places to stay in Shetland and this was definitely one of the best. Many of the hotels in Lerwick itself are well past their self by date so if you're looking for somewhere nice to stay, in lovely surroundings with great food and great company then this is the place for you. You don't have to use the spa or have a treatment to stay here but you won't regret it if you do. Paul and Vee were lovely hosts and made us feel really welcome from the moment we arrived (the giant buddha in the entrance hall and smell of burning incense probably helps as well!)

Our room was really nice (if you can try and book the red room which has views of the water and surrounding hills). If you're an animal lover then you will also enjoy seeing the lambs gambling in the fields below and Vee's collection of free range hens enjoying life in the great outdoors (if you ask nicely she'll even introduce you to them and let you sample some of their lovely eggs).

We stayed for 2 nights and opted to eat at the Maryfield House Hotel on one of them - just for a bit of variety however, although it wasn't bad, it really couldn't compete with the lovely meal we had at the spa (personally cooked and served by the multi-talented Paul who is also a trained chef). Breakfast's were equally great with Vee's homemade muffins and waffles taking centre stage.

To help burn off some of the calories (if you haven't already sweated them off in the steam room or sauna) Paul and Vee are happy to point out a range out a range of local walks on the small island of Bressay (which is just a hop, skip and a jump by ferry from Lerwick). We tried a few of the more leisurely ones and also visited the nearby island of Noss.

All in all our stay at the Northern Lights was definitely one of the highlights of our holiday and we will have happy memories of having drinks on the balcony after a lovely meal and a day of balmy sunshine. Our ownly regrets are that we didn't stay for longer and we didn't eat there on both nights - oh well you live and learn as Buddha would probably say!

pikstones
“Northern Lights Holistic Spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

On a 5 day trip to Shetland this was our last stay. Wow what a house and the views, amazing. This has to be one of the best sized b&b I've ever stayed in. The hosts were superb and we enjoyed their hospitality via a spa treatment. I went one step futher and opted for an Indian head massage and its wonderful. Breakfast is full on continental which makes a lovely change. You are not stuck for space in this place. Thanks!