“If You Like Fish & Chips, This is the Best Place in the World” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in Lerwick
Cuisines: British
Nashville
“If You Like Fish & Chips, This is the Best Place in the World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were in the city of Lerwick in the Shetland Islands for just one day. There are not many dining facilities but we just needed a place for lunch. Based on a TripAdvisor recommendation, we went to the Fort Cafe -- which, not surprisingly, is located in the small commercial district just across from Fort Charlotte. Since there are only perhaps four or five tables in this tiny restaurant, we were very lucky to find seats. The waitress brought us a kettle of tea for two and took our orders. Of course, we asked for fish and chips. Foolishly, I asked for the large portion. When my order came, I was astounded to receive a good supply of chips and two extraordinarily large fish fillets. Now I am not given to exaggeration but here me now: the Fort Cafe may offer the world's best fish and chips. What a wonderful lunch we had. I managed to finish both tasty fish fillets but saved a few chips for the sea birds I saw out the window waiting patiently for customers to emerge. Clearly they regularly enjoy leftovers from exiting customers. If you ever find yourself in Lerwick, make sure you go to the Fort Cafe.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Fish and chips, what more can you say.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just down the hill from the fort on Commercial St. this cafe has great fish and chips. A really nice surprise was the smoked haddock in milk.

Maidenhead, England
“A proper fish and chip shop and table service too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Fort Cafe is open all day and has a traditional fish and chip takeaway counter then doors through to dining area with table service. It's well used by locals which is always a good sign. I sampled haggis and chips with Irn Bru and it was so good that I returned another night to try the white pudding and chips with Irn Bru and I wasn't disappointed. If you're after a traditional fish and chips place with tables then this is the place for you.

Shetland Islands, United Kingdom
“Fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

For a takeaway it's good, however it's not a nice place to sit in. There's no room and the decor is horrible and hasn't been changed in years. They serve the best chips on the island but the rest of their food is average. It's not expensive as such, but I would say it's overpriced. The service is always nice and usually quite speedy. I would still go but there is better fish & chip shops on the island.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Craven Arms, England, United Kingdom
“Best fish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Homely. Busy. Varied menu. Rather 'different'. Not large, but you are quickly served, waitress service. Should give a bill. Mistakes can be made. Nice salads. Macaroni cheese! Simple. In main street. You must pay a visit!