“Reasonable Price - Average Experience” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 27 Restaurants in Lerwick
Cuisines: Brasserie
Shetland
“Reasonable Price - Average Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

The place has been modernised since the last time that I was there and it is much better looking, but the ambience was a bit industrial with all the noise from the other tables. Yet again I got sat at the next table to the braying woman.

We placed our order after a glitch, the veggie meal asn't available, but they did offer two other choices available not on the menu. Oncethe order was placed we had two other waiters ask us for our order. The table is polished, the service less so. The staff are minimum waged immigrants though, so they do well considering English is obviously not their first language.

The tender loin was 50% only correct, in that it was loin; tender it wasn't. It would have benefitted from a steak knife, extremely overcooked. The sauce was good though. The plate also contained an oversized potato croquet, which has mash and bacon in it. May have also had cabbage in it. The portion of salmon was very generous.

It was a struggle to get a second serviette from the staff, as it was to get them to take an empty bottle away.

Dessert was served extremely artistically and included flavours that you wouldn't imagine would go together, and didn't.

I don't think that I will rush back. The restaurant of the sister hotel across town is much better.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Will not be returning”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

The redecorating is the only thing that is going for this place, staff were too over attentive. Both waitresses would ask ud the same questions a minute after each other (obviously must not speak to each other) I ordered the steak and to say it was undercooked would be an understatement. The steak looked like it has just been taken off the cow. Was horrible, will not be returning EVER.

Gulberwick, United Kingdom
“Bay Brasserie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

A family meal for my wifes birthday. Lovely, contemporary feel to the restauranr. What a transformation! I had the only starter - the mini surf and turf. Very nice! A mixture of ballotine of chicken, steaks and venison for main course which were all very tasty. The highlight was my 14 year old son getting torn into the halibut. He thought it was delicious! To finish, we had a selection of desserts which all very nice.
All in all, a very nice evening, with attentive service and another place to go for a lovely evening out. One thing - fewer hasselback potatoes with the chicken and perhaps some nice vegetables. We'll be back!

shetland isle
“Brilliant restaurant and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My family eat here more often than anywhere else in Shetland. The kids menu is fantastic as is the range available on the adults menu. The quantity and quality are spot on, the prices are right and the service is fantastic, they were really happy friendly and positive and spoke nicely to the kids. I wouldnt go elsewhere.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lerwick, United Kingdom
“Shocked by the attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

So the 6 of us went to the Lerwick Hotel to celebrate Dads birthday, I had the Shetland bon bons starter (Trio of Shetland Puddings: Black, White & Haggis Coated in Chef’s Batter & served with a Pepper Sauce) Sadly the Haggis was off, it was stinking! and tasted sour.. the rest of the food on my plate was devine, as was everyone elses starter, so I told the waiter that I thought the Haggis was off, he than told me that one of the managers would come and speak to me, So the manager comes and proceeds to tell me that the Haggis they have here is Shetland tastes different to the Haggis I would normally eat on the mainland as it is made from Shetland lamb, and that he had spoken to the chef and could "absolutely assure me that there was nothing wrong with the haggis" and therfore I was wrong !! I can hand on heart tell you that I have never had anyone speak to me like that before regarding a customer complaint (not that I do it often). We will NEVER eat here again ! Oh and I would like to mention that we live in Shetland,our family rears its own Shetland Sheep and the haggis we normally eat comes from local butcher. I am giving the Lerwick Hotel a terrible rating for the following reasons; 1. Serving me off Haggis 2.For the arrogance of the "manager"