“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of West End Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kirkwall
West End Hotel
You added West End Hotel to your Saves list
14 Main St, Kirkwall, Scotland   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Kirkwall
Thurso, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed here with a party of 7 for a family wedding,it was a brilliant stay,the cleanest room we have ever stayed in,you could see your reflection in the taps.
The bedrooms were very nicely decorated and modern,nice comfortable bed,breakfast in the morning was great,you could have whatever you wanted and nothing was too much trouble.
The bar was well stocked and got everything that was ordered.
This hotel has loads of character.
The staff were very friendly and great banter from the owners. We will definately recommend this hotel to friends and family.
Thanks very much for such an enjoyable stay.XX

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Just back from a great weekend at a family wedding, stayed in this great wee hotel very nice rooms spotlessly clean, great breakfast and 2 great host's and the star of the show Balfour will definitely be back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

On a recent trip home to Orkney we decided to visit the West End Hotel for dinner. The dining area is small (seats about 16 I estimate) but this makes it cosy and intimate. On the evening we visited it was very quiet and there was one other couple already eating when we arrived.
The staff were friendly and welcoming and the food was excellent.
I had the roast chicken and oatmeal stuffing (with chips as the options were chips or boiler tatties - I'd have loved roast tatties, personally). The chicken pieces were cooked beautifully and smothered in a rich gravy (again - personally I'd liked a drop more - maybe in a small jug on the side) the chips were well cooked and a selection of vegetables arrived for us to share.
My dining companion had the Hawaiian Turkey - which was a slice of gammon sandwiched between to pieces of chicken topped with pineapple and melted cheese. Sounds odd to me but she really enjoyed it.
We were really full after the mains but I was really curious to try the clootie dumpling and see if it was as good as my mums?
Sadly it wasn't! The portion size was spot on and the dumpling was warm and served with custard (in a small jug on the side) but the dumpling wasn't made in the traditional clootie method so that was a let down and it was drier and had less fruit than mums home-made dumpling. Anyway I wont let that small disappointment detract from the experience - which was really good.
Over the years we've been to the West End and I think it is safe to say that is the best meal I've ever had there.
It was sad that it was so quiet for a Saturday evening but it was May (and raining) and if it had been too busy it would have been too noisy for me and spoiled the atmosphere.

This is a lucky find and a wee gem in Kirkwall.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Cheddleton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed for five nights at the beginning of April and the hotel very comfortable. My room was cosy and warm with all the facilities I needed including wi-fi. The food was good and plentiful and the service friendly and professional.
As a solo traveller I was a little concerned about feeling awkward but I had nothing to worry about in this friendly establishment, Robert and Giffie were the perfect hosts and a pleasure to be with.
All in all a great place to stay and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I spent one night in this hotel with my husband prior to a job interview. The hosts were very friendly and welcoming especially Mr Balfour! The central location in Kirkwall is great for going into the town. The room was to a high standard and was very clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to explore Orkney.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I spent 6 days in the hotel as I adjudicated the excellent drama festival. As the hotel had been booked for me I did not know what to expect but from the initial warm welcome through the rest of my stay I felt totally relaxed as nothing was any bother for the hotel owners or their staff. Great food well presented, a very comfortable room and a welcoming fire in the cosy bar each evening. Great chat with the locals over a relaxing drink and time to unwind. The hotel is full of interesting curios, and any information about the island is readily available. It was a relaxing time and I will return. Thank you!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed here for a evening during a business trip, the place was getting decorated so thiings were in a bit of an upheaval, will see what the colours are like on my next visit. Booking-in was pleasant with no issues, had an excellent pint in the bar. The room was to the back of the hoteal and was small but acceptable. due to an early departure I recieved an continental brekfast which was good. All a nice Hotel that i woudl recommend. Hopefully I will get to sample the bar and food the next time! Oh and the Wifi wouldn't work for me despite having the password, might depend on what room you are in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to West End Hotel? Share your experiences!