“A good place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Kirkwall
Melbourne, Australia
“A good place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at the Ayre Hotel for 7 nights with breakfast and dinner provided by the hotel.

Our room in the new section of the hotel was quite comfortable with a view over the bay.

The meals were of a good standard and the staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful.

I can't comment on the cost as the accommodation was provided as an integral part of a tour.

We would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

£112 a night for a room, with a hard mattress and a very hot tap that scalds you is a bit much. The room itself was ok, if green (not my favourite colour), mattress was very firm, too firm, did not have a great sleep. The room was at the back on ground floor, with a view of the bins. Although the room was quiet no disturbance, and thank goodness we were not near the bar as that was very rowdy. Seen quieter establishments in Glasgow. The service at hotel was good, friendly. The food was nice, we had our main meal the first night, Steak Pie and chips which was lovely. Breakfast was very good too. There is a lounge bar and a bar, but when meals are being served you can't really sit in the lounge bar, you have to go through to the main bar, which has locals as well as guests, but on each night we tried to have a quiet drink it was very much disturbed by the group of 'louts' who were swearing, shouting and being total planks. The barmaid did nothing to quieten them down, the manager looked in a couple of times when it got loud but did nothing. They were left to shout, holler, swear and be obtrusive to anyone there wanting to have a quiet evening. So would never recommend the bar. As stated before we do travel a lot, and would have to say have had better rooms for less. Would not stay here again, but would eat here again. Food nice and not overpriced.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the annex, no view but nice and quiet. There is work going on at the h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Felixstowe, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here for a week whilst working at the local hospital.
Excellent hotel for business and, I'm sure for pleasure. First class breakfast including the house speciality, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. I ate in restaurant every night which served excellent fare but a little limited on desert choice but all however, very nice (I'm a sucker for crème brulee).
Good view over the bay from my room although the weather did cut down the enjoyment which of course is no reflection on the hotel.
A refurbishment seems to have just been carried out and a lift is currently being installed which is an essential in this old building if your legs are not built for climbing!.
A good experience and I would certainly revisit this friendly hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and good wether ;0)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The Ayre hotel is easily found on the A965 from Stromness to Kirkwall and overlooks the Bay of Kirkwall. It’s a short walk into town and a good base for touring the island. There is ample parking front and back of the hotel.
Reception was very welcoming and our room was on the front overlooking the bay and the ferry docks. It was clean, comfortable and had modern fittings, as did the ensuite bathroom. The main road at the front was not very busy and we had no disturbance overnight.
The comfortable dining room provides delicious meals and we had coffees (and whiskies) in the relaxing bar area.
Breakfasts are very good with the usual buffet style cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts etc. plus a wide selection of freshly cooked hot food, I can recommend the kippers especially.
We stayed here for four nights and would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Wifi in all rooms. Good TV and choice of channels. Place recently refurbished and spotless. Good breakfast. Check out not until 1000, but noisy cleaners start hoovering and banging outside the door from 0800 onwards. Apart from that - it would have been perfect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We are just back from a weekend in Orkney,we know where we are going to stay when we visit next time,the staff are all tremendous,from the reception to the great cleaning girls,my wife forgot to pack her iron (she had the rest oh the hoose in her bag) spoke to one oh the cleaners,seconds later we had an iron and ironing board at the door,GREAT hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Clean and tidy, very modern and up to date. Ate in the restaurant and had the Combo seafood as a main course. It arrived very quickly and I could tell it was not frozen. I always gage a meal by how I feel after I have finished, I have to have the urge to order it again and that is exactly what I had with this meal. For dessert I ordered Sticky toffee pudding, I have to say that I have waited in fast food restaurants for longer than it took for it to arrive. It was home-made and was one of the best I have had and again I nearly ordered a second.
If I am to come to Orkney again I would not have any hesitation in staying and dining here again.

Well done :)

Room Tip: I was in room 8.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Ayre? Share your experiences!