“Nice food in a nice location” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Continental, British, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Nice food in a nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2014 NEW

We visited the Rose and Crown because we are getting married nearby here and we were booking the venue that day. Having not been to Knutsford before, we took a liking to the location immediately. Inside we ordered our drinks and whilst waiting for the food the ambience was good and it did feel like a good quality pub with a good atmosphere. The staff were very welcoming and accommodating and we were one of the first if not the first diners that evening.

We decided for both time and cost we would only order a main course. The food was lovely. I had lamb and it was cooked to perfection.

The only downside was that the portion for the main was slightly on the small side so I wasn't quite full afterwards. I wish that we had ordered a starter as well but I did think a main should be enough to fill you up.

I would advise anybody considering going to make sure you order more than one course otherwise you'll still be a bit hungry - but what you get, is delicious.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Table for one!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2014

I called ahead to see if they could fit in a table for 1 on a Saturday night. Very helpful. The food was wonderful, you get what you pay for and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Will definitely be returning.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent british food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2014

The Chophouse (also a hotel) served an excellent range of British food such as steaks, fish and chips, lamb shank etc. Sensible portion sizes served to perfection!

There's a good choice of beers which are all well kept, and my glass of merlot (chosen almost at random) was one of the best I have had in a long while.

The building retains much of its traditional pub heritage but the tables are laid out so that it wouldn't feel crowded if full but is still comfortable and relaxing even on a quiet evening.

• Visited December 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Pleasant enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2014

I took my father to the Rose & Crown for lunch a couple of weeks ago, we hadn't booked but decided on the Rose & Crown as it looked like a good pub. I won't lie the décor (if you like classic pubs) was good and the tables were set out to a high standard, more in keeping with the top restaurants in Manchester.

The food was pleasant and very good value for money, it was presented nicely and tasted good, although the pulled pork on the chicken burger was a huge disappointment with it very dry and tasteless but that could be just due to my tastes with me expecting flavoursome and juicy pork to compliment the chicken. That said I still enjoyed the food.

The main reason I have given it a medium review (I would say it was good but there is no good choice) was purely down to the service. The staff weren't particularly friendly, and I couldn't understand how no check backs were done even though there was only a handful of tables, on a quiet lunchtime service I would expect the staff to be friendlier and more attentive to try and increase the tips...

All in all I will at some point go back as friends have said they really like it, although I won't be rushing back with an urgency, although the place has great potential my experience was a little 'flat' and frustration with the service.

• Visited November 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Stunning, Superb, Stupendous ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2014

What more can I say than WOW.

Highly recommended, great food, wine and staff lovely.

Be it your with a friend, date, partner, or party this restaurant has something to offer for everyone and the food......

Fabulous starter. Stunning main. Decadent deserts, whilst not being overly expensive given the location.

This restaurant and the attentive staff are sol good I have booked for Christmas Eve with my mother........

You have to go and try it for yourself, ask Mike for recommendations on wine and make sure you check out the end of bin bottles as there are some hidden gems.