“OK - didn't meet my expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Belle Epoque
60 King Street, Knutsford WA16 6DT, England   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Knutsford
Selby, United Kingdom
“OK - didn't meet my expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Booked in to Belle Epoque when in the area on business - the website looked fab - sumptuous rooms and a boutique feel. Not cheap at £95 a night though. It's on one of the little high streets in Knutsford - very old building and lovely from outside.
I arrived in the afternoon to a locked door - probably because the Brasserie isn't open during the day. Checked in and was shown to room. The hotel is on lots of split levels with little staircases as i'm guessing it was converted to be a hotel.
Lovely old world feel to it. I stayed in room 3 at the front of the building - had a little veranda but couldn't use it due to H & S reasons. This was obviously the room for single travellers as the double bed looked quite small. Nothing like the photo on the website which featured a huge bed adorned with cushions and lovely soft furnishings. Decorated and furnished in keeping with the building - chests and leather bedsides, but had a tiny desk. Cobwebs on the roof too. Lack of plug sockets was an issue - no sockets near the desk so had a put kettle on a bedside table which wasn't very safe as quite low down. Probably ideal for a leisure break, but not suited for a business traveller who wants more work space. Bathroom was lovely, a few cobwebs again, nice and clean though with Arran Aromatic toiletries.
The room was really cold - 1 old big radiator and old original windows were the probable cause and it was just above freezing outside. The chamber maid had rolled up a towel and put it under the veranda door to stop the draught and kept the curtains closed.
Breakfast on the first day was a disaster. I was just leaving my room when the fire alarm went off - the cause was too many logs on the open fire in the breakfast room! Told to stay indoors, I sat at breakfast whilst the alarm carried on ringing. There was 1 other table of 4 men waiting patiently. I was sat for 25 minutes before I was even acknowledged or offered a menu. The server was obviously flustered as they couldn't get in touch with the maintenance man to switch off the fire alarm, so it was ringing shrilly! The other table managed to eat and also pay their bill whilst I wasn't even nodded to. They found this most surprising as did I! Especially when the server had to keep walking past me!
When I was eventually given a menu, I had 4 minutes left before my scheduled taxi arrived, so I said "i'll just have whatever you can get me and I can eat in that time!". "Cereal, toast?" was the answer and I said yes....cereal never arrived and the toast was out seconds later. It was cold which told me it hadn't been made for me. All in all very unhappy at having to wolf down some cold toast when I'd had to prebook the time I'd be down for breakfast.
Didn't eat in the hotel the second evening as put off by the breakfast disaster - went to Gusto over the road - great Italian cuisine.
Breakfast on the second day was much better and the server redeemed himself! I was able to enjoy a leisurely breakfast. Beware - when booking B & B this doesn't not include a full cooked breakfast. The hot food is bacon or sausage sandwich or eggs on toast, boiled eggs etc. The full cooked offering is £4.95 extra.
Walked past one of the private dining rooms which had the table laid and fresh flowers and fairy lights - looked lovely, although a little dimly lit.
The hotel is also on the flight path for Manchester airport - I saw planes taking off, and also coming in to land (right over the hotel!) When coming in to land you could almost touch them! I loved this - however if you want absolute quiet probably not the best choice of hotel.
All in all it was OK - if I was to return it would be for leisure, not business, when time is not a factor in your day. Expected more from looking at the website. OK too if you fancy a quirky hotel as opposed to a large standard brand.

Room Tip: Room 3 at the front - nice veranda but you can't use it. Overlooking the offices opposite, so no...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This review is long over due! My husband and I married in July 2011 and had a fantastic time as did all our friends and family. The whole of the day went smoothly thanks to all the staff at the Belle Époque. From the moment we arrived we were greeted with smiles and great manners (nothing beats good manners in my book). The team went out of their way to make us feel taken care.
We booked the whole of the Belle Epoqué from the start of the day right trough to the evening and immediate family (us included) stayed in the rooms. We would totally recommend the venue. Colette was brilliant throughout as our point of contact always reassuring and on top of everything. She recommend great people (especially Nick Campbell the DJ who was amazing and friends have since used)
My personal favourite moment was, having taken a lot longer than expected to have photos done, the chef coming out of the kitchen full plet complaining that he need to serve the food and not realising we were stood right there! Awkward looks all round (stiffled laughter from us) but to us it showed how much pride he was taking in giving us the best food he could....and it really was a wonderful meal.
The only negative was the older gents in the party missed not having a pint of draft bitter!!
We went back on our 1st anniversary and mentioned it to the staff who then gave us the special romantic booth tooked away in the corner...perfect!!
If you are considering the Belle Époque go for it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We ate here at the weekend and where very disappointed with the food, I had the pigs cheek which was fairly tasteless bland attempt. My partner had scallops which was also bland and boring meal served with peas (peas really aren't a high class veg, pretty poor to be honest)..
We thought we would give it a chance and have dessert but was given an over cooked chocolate fondant that was also very plain and bland tasteing..
The place looks tired and we where put in a corner which didn't really help
The only good thing we could say is the chocolate torte was nice.
I wouldn't eat here again, the service was OK but still can't recommend it!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cumbria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

A mixed experience for Christmas lunch. To start with we were 20 minutes late as our taxi did not turn up but we did phone let them know and they said that it was no problem. On arrival our coats were taken and we were offered a glass of champagne by the fire, however, others were not so lucky, some were kept standing with their coats, others had their coats taken but had to request a glass of wine. The restaurant was full, with 140 covers which the staff kept pointing out to everyone but this does not excuse the rather chaotic service. Some were offered canapés in the bar, others had to wait until they got to their tables. After being shown to our table we were told that the waiter would be straight back with the wine list, 20 mins later we had to ask for one.

The food was delicious and could not be faulted, Lobster Thermidor, Turkey, Christmas pudding, cheese, mince pies and coffee. However, when we asked for a second cup of coffee the waiter made a big deal of it, squeezing just 2 cups out of a jug and telling us that the coffee machine had been turned off, despite there being 2 full jugs on the machine when I went to the ladies 5 minutes later. We were also subject slightly sarcastic comments by the waiters throughout the meal. They acted as if they did not want to be there on Christmas Day and that they were doing us a big favour. Also the waiters were not allocated to specific tables so they never knew what stage each table was at.

Beautiful venue, fabulous food but not the standard of service that we expected.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is a super, "restaurant with rooms", right in the middle of Knutsford town centre. We've stayed three times now and each time we've really enjoyed it. Spotlessly clean and nice bright modern decor.
The staff cant do enough for you and that follows on whilst dining in there exquisite restaurant, worth a visit on its own merit.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room one overlooks the lovely gardens
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We went to a wedding here in September 2012 and it was, in a word, perfect! From the service on arrival, to the gorgeous decadent decor, to the perfectly cooked and presented food! One guest on our table wanted a non standard item as a starter and this was done immediately by the waiter who was very friendly. There was nothing at all I could fault about this venue! The ceremony room, wedding breakfast room and evening rooms were all beautiful. There was only a small outside area but it was really pretty with an archway and garden for lovely photos. I did not stay overnight so I can't comment on the rooms. Im getting married myself in 9 months, and if I lived locally I would have no hesitation in booking for my own wedding. (only downside- drinks are quite expensive, although thats to be expected from this type of venue)

• Stayed September 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Service was good, although the food was prepared a little too quickly, and so overall we felt rushed.

The food was very disappointing. I had croquette de volaille to start - basically a couple of rather bland chicken burgers. My wife had rabbit terrine which I tried - also very bland.

My main course was foie gras in a gingerbread crust, which didn't work at all. My wife had grilled calf’s liver, which she said was ok.

I skipped pudding but my wife had baked alaska. Very disappointing since it wasn't freshly made, and my wife thought it might have been bought in.

Bill came to about £90 including drinks and wine, so not too expensive, although the waiter added service charge without being asked, and this wasn't shown on the bill, which seemed rather sneaky and I didn't appreciate it.

There are plenty of better restaurants in the area. I certainly wouldn't go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Belle Epoque? Share your experiences!