“Beautiful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Sparkling Sunday
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Knutsford
“Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel as part of a secret escapes package and certainly wasn't disappointed.
The hotel rooms are lovely and modern. We stayed in room 302 which had great views of the lake and golf course. The breakfast was very nice, although the waitresses seemed in no rush to clear the tables. We went to help ourselves to croissants after our English breakfast and because our empty plates on the table the guests that were sat behind us placed their empty plates on our table as they thought we had left.
Staff were all very nice and friendly. My only negative was that we had to wait over15 mins for 1 drink, when the bar was quiet. We was told to sit and they would bring it over to the table, but after 15 mins we went to the bar to be told the delay was caused by 'printer problems'. although the chap who came to the bar after me received and finished his drink before mine had arrived. When I then settled the bill, I was then challenged about the drinks I previously ordered and paid for, thankfully I still had the receipt to prove I had settled. I know it's only a small detail, but unnecessary and can easily be avoided as it was rather frustrating!
I will certainly return and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Mojo0161,

Thank you for writing a review titled “Beautiful Hotel” I am delighted you marked us five out of five stars.

I can only apologise for the incident regarding the drink, I am confident that it is on this occasion an isolated incident however, I agree that it could have been dealt with in a better manner.

I am pleased to learn you will be back to stay with us again in the future and wouldn’t have any hesitation to recommend our stunning resort to friends and family.

See you very soon!!

Lauren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Warrington, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed here for a mothers day treat, and what can i say except it was a truly wonderful weekend from the arrival to check out. The welcome was so warm and staff so friendly they couldn't do enough for us. The food in Browns was also amazing! The spa facility was again a great experience and i would recommend this hotel to anyone.

The weekend was a prize my daughter won in a competition , so expected a standard room, however was pleasantly surprised when we were shown to our room overlooking the lake and golf course.

Exceptional rooms exceptional staff exceptional food..

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jane G,

I was absolutely thrilled to read that you had a “Wonderful Experience” here at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa.

If I remember correctly I did have the pleasure of meeting you in our Browns Restaurant, I do believe I came over to introduce myself to you both and we talked about your enjoyable stay.

It sounds like a perfect way to celebrate a Mother’s Day treat!!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, may I suggest that you take a look at our website for our latest deals and offers.

Bath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

The impression is this is a golf club with a hotel attached.
The setting is very attractive, however on arrival it was raining and there was no porch and no one to greet you with an umbrella which is not great when the ladies in the party had had their hair done. The reception desk had only one person serving and is set it the main eating and seating hall, where there was a large and noisy wedding party. We had to make our own way through the maze of corridors to find our room, more signage needed as unfortunately the lift says floor zero rather than ground which seemed to confuse many and there is nothing to direct you to the main area. The rooms are generous and well equipped though have a shortage of coat hangers, the beds were very comfy, the iron and ironing board were poor.
We ate in the restaurant the food was variable and the staff were unobservant and some had a problem with language, but the maître D was excellent and sorted it out. The breakfast we had some issues once again saved by the md getting apricot jam for us. The wedding food and setting were excellent and well served making a memorable afternoon and evening.
Fellow guests reported being told not to walk on the path around the golf course! Our bedrooms had French doors onto a terrace but these had no privacy catching out the unwary whilst changing when the heads of holders appeared at close quarters. The baths are double ended with a fixed head shower over one end so showering was limited and the grip on the bottom of the bath was very stained
If a few items are sorted out it could be a five star,

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear alexBath,

Thank you for sharing your guest experience with us, I hope you enjoyed the special wedding celebrations within our beautiful surroundings.

I would like to thank you for your constructive comments and take this opportunity to assure you that the feedback has been shared amongst the relevant Senior Managers here at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa.

We hope that you will be back to see us again soon to witness the improvements (where possible) we have made on the back of your review.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights as part of a break booked through Secret escapes. The facilities and general first impressions are excellent. The hotel is clean and well looked after.

The rooms were very modern and of a high standard, all additional aspects of Secret Escapes deal were sorted with no problems (free bottle of wine etc).

As you settle in you notice a couple of little things, the odd hair in the shower (before we had used it!), a layer of dust on the shelf under the sink, stain on the bed throw. A little lack of effort from certain staff.

The free dressing gowns felt like they were at the end of their useable life, very rough and obviously been through the wash a significant number of times.

The facilities in general a very, very nice. The Spa is impressive and the service is very good. Afternoon tea was a treat.

The club lounge is a little pricey for drinks but a nice place to relax with views of the golf course and Mere.

A part of the hotel that is struggling is Browns Restaurant (reviewed separately). In brief, the staff forgot certain parts of the order (then tried to charge us for it), drinks took forever, never offered a desert menu, service very slow. People had arrived after us, had a full meal and left before we had our main! Some staff also lacked the charisma you would expect from somewhere that you are paying significant prices. Go to a restaurant in Knutsford instead, pay less, better service and make use of the Hotel taxi service. I will say however, the food was tremendous but the service left the bitter aftertaste.

Overall, worth a visit and a relaxing, happy weekend. Improvements could be made to justify the prices people pay to stay there. Parts are excellent and parts are slightly lacking.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Wild87,

Thank you for posting a review following on from your recent stay with us.

I have to admit I am rather disappointed to learn about the unsatisfactory housekeeping standards. The cleanliness of our bedrooms is one of our biggest strengths here at The Mere.
I would be keen to know if this was reported to our reception team and what action was taken to rectify the problem. I will do my own research on this internally but I would like to thank you for bringing it to my attention.

May I apologise sincerely for the unsatisfactory service you received during your evening meal in our Browns Restaurant. The fact you described the food as “Tremendous” is a huge compliment and for that we are truly grateful. I will raise the issue of service with our Food and Beverage Manager and ask for some extra training to be implemented so avoid this from happening again in the future.

On a brighter note I am pleased that you enjoyed our fabulous spa facilities, they are as you quite rightly say very “Impressive”

I am glad that you left us feeling it had been “overall a happy weekend” may I assure you that we will take on-board your comments with regards to improvements.

Should you wish to stay with us in the future please feel free to make me aware and I will personally make sure your stay is - nothing short of perfect.

Kindest Regards

Lauren Yates
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed an overnight stay at The Mere on a Secret Escape break.
From the initial booking to booking out of the hotel this experience was excellent.
When I made the booking, I contacted the hotel to tell them that my husband required a gluten free menu.
The response was immediate and positive, confirming receipt of the email and ensuring us that this would not be a problem.
I have to say, we have been experiencing 'issues' with the hospitality sector for a number of years in relation to special dietary requirements and so our expectations were not high.
Part of our package was a cream tea, we booked our slot when we arrived at the hotel for late afternoon.
We spent a very pleasant afternoon in the spa. Lovely pool, jacuzzi, sauna etc and duly attended at our alloted time to experience our cream tea fully expecting my husband to have to settle for fruit and a selection of vegetables or such like.
To our sheer delight, the young waiter appeared with two cream tea stacks, one for me and a gluten free one for my husband.
He had open sandwiches (identical fillings to my sandwiches), a scone, clotted cream and preserve (as I did) and a selction of cakes (as I did).
I have to say, this is the first and only time, my husband hasn't been made to feel like he was causing people extra work at establishments like this.
The attention to detail delivered by the staff at this establishment, for us, was exceptional.
We had gluten free bread for breakfast the following morning, not an issue.
So... if you are considering booking The Mere and have special dietary requirements, just let them know prior to arrival, and they will make it as special as our trip was.
We will definately go back.
By the way, dinner in Browns restaurant, was oustanding. I had lamb and my husband had steak, superb! And a very healthy wine list.
A very enjoyable break made exceptional by the attention to detail.

Room Tip: Room 11 had amazing views of the golf course and lake
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Evos2,

I was absolutely delighted to learn that we had exceeded your expectations regarding the afternoon tea experience.

The title of your review is exactly what it is all about “Attention to Detail” something we here at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa pride ourselves on.

If a guest has a certain request or requirement whatever it may be, we will make it a priority to ensure that the guest is looked after and we deliver on every occasion.

May I thank you for identifying the team here as exceptional, we are simply delighted that we have been able to contribute towards making your stay a memorable one – Success!!

We look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Regards

Lauren Yates
Rawtenstall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I recently had an amazing, surprise spa break at The Mere for my hen do, organised by my best friend, with all my favourite people there. From the moment we arrived, we had a completely luxurious time. The spa was amazing, the treatments were wonderful and the staff were incredibly professional and knowledgable in what they were doing. All staff could not do enough to make sure we had a great time, so attentive and just so friendly! The rooms were beautiful and had everything we needed. Dinner was exquisite, and again the staff were amazing. I can't praise The Mere enough, every staff member we encountered were wonderfully welcoming and it made our girly weekend one to remember! We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

4 ladies took advantage of the Sparking Friday offer that The Mere advertised on their website & we all agree it was wonderful! This was my second visit here & as before everything was just perfect. We had twin rooms next to each other on the lower ground floor, each room had patio doors which opened out onto a terrace - would be lovely in summer! We both had bottles of Prosecco in our rooms - which was part of the deal we went on. Both rooms were large, extremely good decorative order, fab bathrooms, ours had a walk in shower & our friends had a shower over the bath. Both had underfloor heating & twin sinks - perfect for getting ready for dinner together!! Beds were very comfortable & we all slept well. Compliment tray not well stocked & a let down was the UHT milk pots - we had a pint of proper milk in our fridge last time we visited! - but it was soon sorted with a quick phone call to reception who arranged for a jug of milk to be bought to our room. Upon arrival at about 11ish our rooms were ready. Check in was quick & easy & the reception staff all very friendly & helpful.
We spent the remainder of the day in the Spa, which is lovely & relaxing - could do with extra beds around the pool though. We all had varying treatments which we all thoroughly enjoyed, unfortunately we did have some slight negatives: when my friend rang to book the treatments, we had both wanted a joint mud treatment & the lady who my friend spoke to was very much that the treatment was for 'couples', good job we weren't a 'couple' as I may have taken offense! Also the gowns that we were given were quite shabby with threads hanging off the sleeves & hem, also 3 of ours had only 1 loop for the belt & mine had stains down the front of it - yes I could have taken it back but I didn't! Once we had our treatments there was no room in the relaxation room for us, such a shame as it is the perfect end to a treatment & I was looking forward to snuggling into the warm beds & quilts. If The Spa is going to be offering Spa breaks then they need to be able to accomodate the number of people they will have in there at any one given time. I think someone else has mentioned about some of the mosaic tiles being off in the Aroma room which did make it quite uncomfortable to sit on. However none of the above stopped us from having a lovely chilled day. We had lunch in the Spa, great selection & tasty food.
We ate in Browns of the evening, again food was of an excellent standard, lovely polite staff, the restaurant was quite busy & we had a little wait for our orders to be taken, but not a problem as our Prosecco arrived first! The only little gripe about dinner was the pianist! There was lovely background music playing when we first arrived in Browns, then the pianist started playing, we all found it incredibly annoying! Wasn't so aware of it on my last visit but this time he was quite irritating - sorry Mr Pianist!
Breakfast was wonderful, lovely choice continental style or full cooked english. Food was hot & plentiful.
We all had a totally wonderful time, felt thoroughly chilled, relaxed & pampered when we left. The little negatives haven't put us off & we are planning a return trip later in the year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!