“Fab fizzy Friday” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Knutsford
Abergele, United Kingdom
“Fab fizzy Friday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a great fizzy Friday night at the Mere. Hotel, staff, room, food and spa all great. Looking forward to returning again soon. If you are thinking of visiting, check out the fizzy Friday deal on the Mere hotel web page it is a bargain.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Siwan30

Thank you for taking the time to post a wonderful review.

I am very pleased to learn you will be back to stay with us. Keep an eye on our website for our latest offers. The Sparkling Sunday package is also a huge hit!!

We look forward to seeing you again soon..

Kindest Regards

Lauren Yates

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I really didn't want to have to write a poor review for this hotel, but feel I have to. I Stayed at the mere last week, driving up from London for the night for some R&R. Upon check in, we were told that the spa has a dedicated children's time for 2 hours... Never mind, you think- surely there won't be many kids staying here as the basic room is 175 a night.... No, it seems every range rover driving mum within 10 miles turned up, making our relaxing afternoon by the pool comparatable to that of a local council leisure centre, with parents throwing balls around and kids screaming and shouting... Needless to say this was right in the middle of the afternoon, so we promptly left, feeling a bit bitter about not knowing that this would be the case... I'm still baffled after telling management why this was not mentioned on the website buy instead we were told on check in after passing over our credit card details.... Probably because people like me who are looking to escape this kind of experience would probably have gone elsewhere in the first place. The spa itself was great, facilities perfect- why ruin it for your guests by allowing these clubs at all??
The rooms are very nice in the hotel, but lets not get carried away as you are paying top prices for it, so this should be expected. They did need a good dust though- attention to details- I would suggest the head housekeeper sits on the loo and looks at the bathroom from a guests point of view- all the lower shelves, mirrors etc are covered in dust!

Breakfast was a joke. Dirty cutlery, lipstick on cups, food tepid and not replenished, service dreadful etc etc.. it was like a scene out of faulty towers. We were told to go back to our room to wait as it was too busy at one stage! People were eating off of their laps! It's a good job that a hotel ratings inspector wasn't there as management would have been very disappointed.

Upon leaving I did complain, and the guest relations manager was very polite and dealt with my complaint well. I followed this up with an email which she said was being passed onto management to consider... 1 week on, no contact from the manager, hence my review on TA. Sorry, I gave the hotel a chance to make things better but I guess my opinions and the fact I spent over 200 pounds on a night with you counts for nothing...
Overall a nice hotel but have stayed in a lot better places with more professional services. If you don't mind an expensive room where management clearly prioritise non residents then this will be right up your street!

• Stayed September 2013
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Ozzycat,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I do believe that your concerns have been addressed and you have been contacted directly, however if you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Many Thanks

Egremont, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Firstly may I say if you plan on buying one of houses sited on the Mere you enter the Euro millions as the Lotto wont suffice,joking aside I can honestly say my wife and I had a fantastic stay at The Mere.
The hotel is first class not over attentive but pre-emtive if you no what I mean.
A fizzy Friday booking gave us a great foundation for a lovely stay.
We have enjoyed the hospitality of numerous hotel chains but Mere is right up there,from the top notch room to the fantastic view spot on.
The real icing on the cake was to converse with a true British sporting legend, Absoloute honour.
Take the opportunity and utillise an Indian summer and enjoy real hospitality.
PS watch out for the mojhitto cocktails there magic but reep havoc with youre spelling. Safe journey!!!

Room Tip: Request room with a view and a balcony(eg) 109 great views over the mere and the course, also try th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Firstly let me say I should have written this review 12 months ago but never got round to it!!!! We stayed at The Mere as part of a large group being entertained by Michelin. As they picked up the tab for the whole weekend I am unable to comment on the value side of things as I have no idea what it cost. However, rooms were lovely size, clean and well maintained. We had a lovely balcony - which was just as well cause phone reception was a little tricky ..... (Which when you are a party of business people is disappointing) but we got limited reception on the balcony!!!! The bar and public areas of the hotel were very nice , staff efficient and helpful. As my partner needed to make some phone calls on the first morning we stayed in the room and had a room service breakfast on the balcony - which was nice and arrived bang on the time ordered. The hotel organised a barbecue for our group on the first night which was excellent but apart from this we were attending functions off site for the rest of our stay so I can't comment of the restaurant dinner menu - however the breakfasts were very pleasant! The grounds are lovely, I am assured the golf course is also and the view down to the lake from the terrace makes this a very pleasant spot of a drink. All in all a positive experience and I hotel I would definitely recommend and would stop at again (indeed we did try to book only a few weeks ago but they were full!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed here with friends over a weekend which included a wedding reception of which we were guests at. Overall the Mere is very pleasant.

I think there is some room for improvement to be made on the customer service front. It's not 5 star, but it is not bad.

The Spa facilities are good, although beware going during the children session in the pool. It is not policed very well and can have a lesuire centre feel to it. On the first day there were a group of rowdy teenage boys who were very loud and it wasn't very pleasant.

Not necessarily the spa/hotel's fault, but if there were pool attendants maybe they could have had a word.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
lauren_yates, Guest Relations Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear KASHq
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us.
I am pleased to read that you found our hotel to be pleasant whilst you attended a wedding reception here at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa. I trust that the day went well and was enjoyed by all.
With regards to the children’s swim times, we do only have specific times allocated for children to use the swimming pool these are Mon-Fri 9:00am – 10:30am and 16:00pm – 18:00pm and weekends Sat-Sun 9:00am – 11:30am and 16:00pm – 18:00pm.
This is so that our leisure guests can relax and unwind in our spa in an adult only environment.
I apologise if this wasn’t relayed to you upon check-in, we do issue a grey slip during the registration process for our guests to sign. This card has all important hotel details including the children’s swim times as a reminder to guests. This information can also be found in our in-room hotel index.
I shall personally ask all reception staff to make an extra effort to make sure this is communicated clearly to guests arriving in the hotel to avoid this from happening again in the future.
If you wish to discuss this matter in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me either via email lauren.yates@themereresort.co.uk or alternatively by telephone 01565 830155
Thank you once again for your honest feedback.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Well, that's what our stay The Mere felt like. The stay was booked as a surprise to celebrate my birthday, we were on a 'spa package' which included one treatment and dinner, bed and breakfast.

First, the positives: great location, good quality feel when you arrive, the staff were very friendly and welcoming, the Spa set is excellent and the bedroom had a nice, luxury feel. The food at dinner was very high quality, imaginative menu well prepared and presented.

So, what's not to like? It was a dozen little things, rather than one big thing. And many of them relate to the design/layout, so not sure they can be fixed easily. For example, we arrived just after lunch and wanted to sit and have a read and a cup of a tea before going across for our Spa treatment. But the only place to sit is basically in the corridor between reception, the restaurant and the golf shop. And despite all the people walking past, we eventually had to go and ask someone in the restaurant if we could get served. It all took so long that we ran out of time to use the pool etc., before our spa treatment - which was a real pity, as the Spa is definitely the best place to be - a really nice lounge area.

After a lovely treatment and relax at the spa, we went down to dinner, which is where you get to the next negative. The restaurant is right in the lobby in the hotel - a wooden screen at chest height separates you from reception and all the comings and goings. I guess for some people, the atrium setting will appeal, but as a venue for a romantic special occasion, it just wasn't what we were expecting from such a quality hotel. The service and food was great, but the location just doesn't feel special. And when we finished dinner, and you're looking for somewhere relaxing to sit and enjoy a coffee and nightcap - you're back to the corridor again.

In the room, the bedding was lovely and felt very luxurious, but no bath in the bathroom meant no chance for a nice long soak - again, it's a personal choice but for the money I'd expect to have the option. Then there's the tea tray in the room - very poorly stocked, no decaf coffee, no Earl Grey/herbal teabags - just 2 tea bags and 2 coffees. It's what you'd get in a Premier Travel Inn, not a 4/5 star 'resort' hotel.

Finally, at breakfast, was again surprised that at £450 for a nights' D,B&B, breakfast was a self-service buffet - the comparison to a Travel Inn came to mind again. But not just the food - you weren't even offered tea or coffee. You had to go to a table with hot water containers and pots of tea bags and coffee to make your own cup. Again, just not what you expect from a higher end hotel.

Overall, the Spa was fantastic and the staff were attentive and very friendly, but I think the senior management could do with going and stopping at some of their competitors, to understand where their own proposition could be improved. Attention to the little details makes a huge difference at this level, especially when charging a premium price.

My advice - if you see this hotel on offer, with a Spa break - go for it and make sure you spend the majority of your time using the spa - you won't be disappointed. But if you're paying the full rack-rate for a special occasion, there are plenty of places you can drop £450 for one night and have a much more indulgent experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wakefield Tricky
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us.
It sounds like on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us, very positive feedback regarding our bedrooms, comfort, dining experience and luxury spa.
I will discuss your other points with the senior managers for their consideration. As you say the design/layout of the hotel is not something that can be easily fixed but I will certainly highlight your thoughts to the team.
It appears that the slight frustrations you encountered hopefully wouldn’t deter you from staying with us again. All our latest packages/offers are available now on our website should you wish to return to us.
If you do decide to stay with us again please feel free to email me and let me know your arrival date, I will personally make sure you are well looked after.
We hope to welcome you back soon!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I booked a secret escapes deal for 2 nights for our first wedding anniversary as we love spas and this is the best one we have been too! Right from re moment we walked in we were well looked after with someone asking if we needed help with our bags. We checked in and headed to our junior suite which is perfect! Very large and modern with a separate shower and bath in the bathroom. Another lovely touch was the phone call just after we'd got up there to check we were happy with our room.

We headed straight for the spa and chilled out all afternoon there. I am 18 weeks pregnant and gutted I couldn't go in the axing hydrotherapy pool and steam rooms!

Afternoon tea was part of our package and was so indulgent and quite a lot to eat so us being quite foody we were more than happy!

We went to browns for our evening meal where the food was lovely but service was a bit slow. We didn't order starters and just wanted bread but it didn't turn up until we reminded them when our mains arrived. No biggie really.

Breakfast was perfect and the orange juice was lovely!!

We're into our second day now and loving relaxing by the pool, I had a lovely body scrub whilst the hubby hit the gym and afternoon tea again was scrummy. Best service so far from Tom Rutter in the spa lounge who on hearing it was our anniversary offered us a poolside drink on the house. Perfect.

This place is heaven and we will hopefully be back next year if not sooner!!!.....now back to more relaxing, aaaaaah!!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Gemit79
Thank you for sharing your wonderful guest experience with us and taking the time (whilst pool-side) to post a review!!
It sounds like you both really enjoyed your stay with us and I am thrilled that you intend to stay with us again in the future. Perhaps if you return after baby arrives you can enjoy the relaxing heat zone treatment area that you unfortunately couldn’t experience this time round.
I shall pass on your welcomed feedback regarding Tom Rutter over in our spa, I should watch out seems I have some competition for my job role!! Joking aside it’s a great that one of our valued team members is going that extra mile to create a memorable experience and delivering excellent customer service.
We look forward to seeing you both soon and we wish you all the very best with the arrival of your bundle of joy!!
Lauren Yates

Been to The Mere Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!