“Pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Laburnum Cottage Guest House

Laburnum Cottage Guest House
You added Laburnum Cottage Guest House to your Saves list
Laburnum Cottage Guest House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Knutsford Road | Mobberley, Knutsford WA16 7PU, England   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Knutsford B&B and Inns
Bovey Tracey
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stopped off at Laburnum Cottage en-route to the North East from the South West and stayed for just one night. We arranged Dinner in advance and arrived late, tired and looking forward to putting the nightmare journey of M5/M6 behind us (tip - don't do this journey on a Friday during daylight hours). What a pleasure this place is, the hosts are very friendly and the cooking was great, our accomodation was clean, comfortable and spacious and we honestly could have extended our stay from an overnight stop and made Laburnum Cottage our holiday destination instead. The road noise was minimal and didn't disturb us at all, and
although the house sits under the flight path from Manchester Airport, there are no departures or arrivals late at night so the only aircraft noise you will hear is during the day anyway. Personally I found it mesmorising to watch these great silver birds defying gravity and providing a free air display, I could have sat & watched them all day.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pembrokeshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed for just one night, unfortunately, prior to flying to Italy. We had a warm welcome from David and shown to a smallish but very clean and well-appointed room. After a little relaxation we went down to enjoy a great meal cooked by David. As I am a vegetarian I do appreciate it when some care has been given to my needs. I have known places where a supermarket dish has been plonked in front of me, but not here! My husband was raving over his salmon and pork, so he was happy too.Everything was beautifully presented.

The following morning we parked our car for the duration of the holiday and, after enjoying an excellent breakfast, we were driven to the aiport.

I hope that should we decide to travel from Manchester Airport again, Laburnum Cottage will still be available, together with David's excellent cooking.

Room Tip: Didn't see other rooms, but we asked for a room on the back, away from the traffic, because we l...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed here for two nights whilst visiting Manchester. It's in a good position and the breakfast is very substantial. We were staying in the annex (a little cottage over the other side of the driveway), which had loads of space and a separate en suite downstairs, we really enjoyed the evening in!

Since it was hot, we wanted the windows open during the night, but this is where the good position has its Catch 22, there's lots of traffic and flight noise (which of course can't be helped, no reflection on the lovely owners).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

I stayed at Laburnum Cottage to attend a family party nearby - I booked purely for the location, but the standard was so much higher than your average B&B. We were made to feel so welcome, both Stephanie & her husband were really helpful & even drove us to our party. The breakfast was fab, after we met the hen who laid our eggs! I'm really fussy with food, but they were so flexible & nothing was too much trouble. We didn't eat at night, but a fellow guest at breakfast couldn't speak highly enough & felt £18 for 3 courses with wine was excellent value.

The cottage is set in beautiful gardens with a dove cote, hen house & pond with koi carp that has a bridge over it. We were lucky enough to get a couple of hours sunshine & sat outside when we arrived - the atmosphere is really relaxed & guests are free to wander around.

I would definitely stay there again; I think it would also be a good option for a girly weekend as a group, as there is a large lounge with big leather sofas & lots to do & see nearby. There are a couple of hotels with spa facilities that are a short drive away, although I did pick up a flyer for a beauty therapist who comes to the cottage - definitely one to look into!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

I stayed one night at the Laburnum Cottage Guest House on 23 July 2008. I booked the only room that they had left available for myself only - a twin for £61 for the night. The hospitality of the owners of this establishment is absolutely fantastic. I received a warm welcome, was shown the room & was promply offered a beverage. The room was clean, the ensuite was very tiny but usable. All toiletries are in the room which is very nice indeed. I opted to have a meal in for dinner - as the establishment offers evening meals. Most (if not all) of the other people staying there also took the meal in. The guest house had a very cosy dining room environment with lovely place settings. The meal served was very substantial. The owners were most accommodating regarding the menu with my food allergies. The meal included a sizeable starter, a huge main course (sides of veg with the main) & a nice portion of dessert. Very filling indeed. When I went to go to sleep I found that the mattresses on both of the twin beds in the room I was in (Room 1) really needed replacing. I tried the one & could feel the springs coming through when I laid down (I'm a small person), so I tried the other bed - same thing. I then decided to layer up the coverlets from both beds onto one to alleviate the mattress discomfort, which helped a bit. I had opened the windows as it was quite toasty that day (26C) the road noise from Mobberley Road (the B5085) was shocking. It is mainly due to the fact that the Guest House is pretty much right on the road. They do have a very tall hedge row to offer privacy & help with noise, but it doesn't do a thing for Room 1 (facing the driveway & facing the road). I was surprised at how noisy it was & the noise continued 'til 12:30 AM (well that's when I had to completely close the window facing the street). The traffic noise started up at 6 in the AM - I left the tiny window above the sink (which faces the driveway) open a crack for some air. So it wasn't a particularly restful night's sleep. The house is also in the flight path for Manchester airport. When I sat in the garden the evening of my arrival there were planes flying overhead every few minutes. That didn't bother me at all as I used to live by a major U.S. international airport. But the road noise did. I realise the owners can't do anything about the traffic noise - car or plane. They've installed double-glazing, which, of course, helps when the windows are closed. But I just want others to be aware & request a garden facing room if at all possible, as the noise from the road will keep one awake if you like to sleep with a window open or it's hot outside. It's a very convenient location for going to the Tatton Park Flower Show & the fact that they offer evening meals is a nice option if one doesn't want to go out again after arriving. But they need to replace those mattresses & put a fan or A/C unit in Room 1 since opening the windows isn't really feasible given the road noise. The breakfast the next AM was fine - again, they catered to my dietary needs very nicely. The owners are so kind & hospitable it's a shame that their location isn't better.

• Liked — The warmth & hospitality of the owners
  • Disliked — The traffic noise & the mattress
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Laburnum Cottage Guest House? Share your experiences!