“well priced, beautiful site.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hoddom Castle Caravan Park

Hoddom Castle Caravan Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lockerbie
Hoddom Castle Caravan Park
Hoddom, Lockerbie DG11 1AS, Scotland   |
Preston, United Kingdom
“well priced, beautiful site.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Have just spent a week at Hoddom, 3rd visit, (pitch 73, nearest to Castle! best pitch in our view). 2 pre teens, 2 pointers!! Great pitch, great showers, washroom but no mops etc left to clean the showers in the mens/ladies which was disappointing. Very quiet site despite high season and being full. No noise apart from my "Swallow" obsessed dog who was really embarrassing on his fixed lead jumping around constantly!! The walks are great and quiet along the river and into the forest on the other side of the road. Played golf on the 9 hole course ( first ever go, parred the 1st amazingly, then went downhill!!) Really enjoyed the facilities and also had breakfast in he restaurant on the day of departure which was handy the food was ok but the staff were a bit miserable in the restaurant really. Great check out time of 1pm which made it more relaxed. Will return as well priced and picturesque.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

It is a lovely campsite .There is lots do to ( walks , table tennis, golf ) ect.
Wifi was not picking up and when me and my friend asked what network and how we could get on the the man at reception answered us with " Should pick up, no password no security. Didn't help at all

It was very quiet since the bar closed at a certain time which I liked. Loved the castle

ONE OF THE BEST CAMPSITES

Walks were peaceful and was a tower and a small, pebbly cove

• Stayed August 2013
Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Nice site lovely walks, toilets near reception fine, but further up site - no loo rolls or hand driers or towels . Bar is fine, but food is no go area, we ordered various 'stuff' when it arrived was not acceptable, were'nt offered any options or apologies, Customer service leaves to be desired. We will prob go back for site but definately not to eateries, need management skills, and customer care.

Room Tip: it was camping site , so cant advise on pods
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a hidden gem. 5 minutes from the M74 motorway, so easy to find. The site is large but doesn't feel it. The tourer/static/pods/tents are all separated by trees. The toilets though quite old are spotless, lots of hot water, great showers. The site is very clean, no litter, and though there were lots of people on the site, there was no noise. No road noise either as the site sits on an estate up a long driveway. There are lots of facilities on site too, play park, shop, bar,restaurant, games room , golf course, fishing and lovely river walks. Oh and it's very reasonably priced too!

• Stayed July 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent a few nights in one of the larger Pods in the middle of July. The room was large and so was the bed. Plenty of room to move around and a nice quiet location. Only minor niggle was the door to the room wouldn't stay closed without locking the door as it had no catch. This wasn't a problem, until one of us had to leave for the toilet and lock the other in/out in the middle of the night.

The service was excellent and staff both friendly and accommodating. Particularly in the Coach House (the pub/restaurant/takeaway). Food was served promptly and portion sizes were good. It was very impressive given how busy they were. It was a charity golf weekend and the site was packed which made for a brilliant atmosphere in the evening. Prices were fair and the menu seemed to accommodate a wide range of tastes and party sizes. Food tasted brilliant.

Castle grounds and local area made for some interesting walks and a quiet retreat during the day. The pub was perfect for meeting the locals and enjoying an evening out. I would thoroughly recommend!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We live quite locally and just fancied a quick night away with the kids as the weather was nice. Really impressed with the site. We stayed on pitch 86, just set back from the children's play area which was good for us as we could sit outside set back from the play area but it was near enough to be able to see them if we stood up. The toilets are really good and clean, beautiful hot free showers and plenty of them. The site is big but doesn't feel it as it is well divided and we thought it was extremely quiet, we certainly heard no noise at night. We went on a beautiful walk down by the river with the kids, there is golf and fishing but we didn't try either. There is a games room with table tennis and an outside crazy golf which we didn't get chance to try either. You can borrow dvds for a small donation and there is a wii and playstation in the bar for kids on a wet day or to keep them entertained in the evening. The only negative I have is that I have eaten here before when I wasn't staying here as I met some friends and the food is really disappointing and expensive in the restaurant, extremely small portions for the price and I left still hungry so my tip would be to not eat here and get a meal or takeaway from Annan which is only a few minutes drive - there is a subway in Annan too if you want a quick lunch. The restaurant is probably ok if you just want chips but I would avoid it for a family meal. I watched someone getting nacho's on this occasion and it was £7.95 for a small cereal bowl size with 2 very small dips. The fact that the food is not good value doesn't put me off this lovely site at all as I simply would take my own food and not eat there! There is a shop on site but it doesn't sell fruit or veg but you can get dry goods and frozen stuff and there is a small fridge for bacon, milk and eggs. Most importantly you can get ice creams for the kids on a hot day! We found this site extremely relaxing and friendly and we are definitely going back! It cost us £22.50 for one night with electric hook up for a family of 4 (children under 7 are free) which I think was a reasonable price.

Room Tip: There is a play area so you could ask to be nearer or further away, though we found the noise minim...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Lady at front desk got angry when I couldn't give her a postcode (I live in hotels or campsites as I travel a lot with work). When it emerged that I had stayed a few days previously but had arrived late and paid in the bar and left before 6am for work she said I should have returned later to register (What????) Maybe she expects that I should have changed my flight...not sure. Anyway this was the last straw, here eyes got beady and she said 'I cannot help you'. So even though it was late I was forced to find somewhere else to stay. I normally stay for a while if I like the site so with bar tab and meals and laundry her decision was a costly one. The laundry has a big commercial dryer which is good for sleeping bags etc. Wifi in the restaurant. Fairly homogenous visitors, just families with small children, didn't see any adventurer types. Quiet. No traffic so safe for kids. Nice castle if you have a postcode and can cope with the dragon.

Room Tip: Find another site
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hoddom Castle Caravan Park? Share your experiences!