“What a lovely hotel with great views and great service from all!” 5 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Dryfesdale Country House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dryfebridge, Lockerbie DG11 2SF, Scotland   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lockerbie
Ajayne
“What a lovely hotel with great views and great service from all!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I have just stayed at this lovely hotel for 3 nights with my family and friends for my wedding and I wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else. This hotel has lovely grounds, rooms, and a brilliant hotel owner/manager who could not do enough for me and my party. We also had our dinner reception at the hotel and I asked for something that was not on the menu and Glenn the manager (who we all found very hard working) had made it very clear that he would be able to do anything I wanted and when the food came out it was gorgeous. I would 100% go back and stay. Thank you very much Glenn for making my wedding so special.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Belfast, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Arrived with my family for a quiet break in the country. Hotel is close (2 fields away) to Motorway with constant hum of traffic when outside. Hotel is clean and tidy but nothing special. Checking in I was informed that 2 wedding parties were taking place that night, and I asked to be kept away from any proceedings. I was assured it would be quiet but at 5.00am in the morning the noise of people running up and down corridors, wandering outside drinking and bouncing off walls in adjoining rooms had kept my wife and I awake all night. Our room being situated close to the dining areas didn't help!!
I complained the next morning but the manager said they were classed as inconsiderate guests and he could do nothing about them, they were entitled as guests to go where they liked when they liked within reason. He says he had to keep the bar open until 4.00am as the guests were residents!! Sounds like it happens a lot at this hotel, I won't be back.
To be fair our evening meal was reasonable, menu was ok and cooking fine, but the manager charged us twice for the drinks at check-out, and asked me to prove I had not received them rather than deducting them from the bill. He seemed quite miffed when it turned out to be his mistake.
All in all his service was amateur, although everyone else was nice. I stay in Hotels on business twice a week and I know a good nights sleep is the most important thing in booking accommodation so I couldn't recommend this establishment as a place to rest your head, but certainly somewhere for an all night bender if you fancy it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
hotelnine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

Do not stay here in this hotel unless you wish to experience unprofessionalism and have no idea of customer service.
Glen Wright the manager is rude, arrogant and has no idea how to speak to paying guests - he obviously does not appreciate or want repeat visitors.
We stayed here as part of a large party for a family wedding. I have never experienced anything like it - I have stayed in hotels with less stars and is much cheaper and received much better customer service.
The hotel is run by kids who have no idea what they are doing or are being managed properly, this is evident in the one rule for one guest and a completely different rule for another guest. They also have never been shown how to wait on guests or even look competent doing what is expected for a hotel that claims to be 4 stars.
Upon entry to my room, I had to clean the toilet myself, the patio door remained unlocked throughout my stay as it would not lock and the cleanliness of the rooms had much to be desired. Perhaps corners do not need to be hovered or furniture needs to be dusted for paying guests.
Has anyone ever heard of a hotel manager that does not take valid debit cards for payment and insists on cash only!!! Make me wonder who's pockets the money was lining - The hotels or the manager Glen Wright.
Glen Wright (manager) is terrible - I have never met anyone quite like him and I hope I never will again - This is possibly the worst case of customer service that I have ever seen - he is rude, obnoxious, patronising, has a terrible temper, has no understanding of customer service and does not believe that the customer is always right. He also threatens to chuck you out of the hotel when you tell him you do not have cash, but only a valid debit card???
This is your warning - do not stay in this hotel unless you have 0% understanding of customer service and wish to line Glenn Wrights pockets with your hard earned cash!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Helens
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

We had our wedding reception here almost 3 years ago and it has taken us this long to recover from the incompetencies of the manager Glen. We were promised many things for our 'Big Day' but unfortunately did not receive them. For instance, the rooms were not ready for our guests to change after their long travel, as promised for 12:00pm, for a local 3:00pm wedding. We were temporarily offered a room where all the guests could change, not ideal as some had never met before. Garden rooms had been booked for all the party but some guests including parents were put in interior rooms. The bill, when checked, included items that guests had not received. I would suggest that if you are thinking of booking your wedding here get all the details in writing with a blood seal from the manager Glen. As we say don't believe the hype!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Carlisle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

Stayed overnight as guests at a friend's wedding. Overall hotel was fine and staff generally OK. Food was satisfactory and breakfast plentiful and of a good standard.
However the bar tariff is in my view overpriced. I paid £6.75 for a small glass of wine and a pint of John Smiths. I thought it overpriced at that but said nothing.
It was only when i returned to the bar to get a second round that and was charged £8.75 for a larger glass of wine and another pint of beer that i complained.
My complaint fell on deaf ears the owner or manager felt that the bar tarrif was reasonable. I won't be going back and recommend that if you book there then you take your own drink.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Paisley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

We had been booked in at this hotel for a relative's wedding and had been looking forward to our trip. The room had not been cleaned properly and when I was intercepted by the very nice young staff member, on my way to reception with a very dirty cup, she did not look surpised. Coffee was not topped up and milk was off. Several of the party were unhappy with the bills received and the manager proved to be very rude to guests on several occasions. When we questioned our bill, we did not get what we considered to be a satisfactory explanation. We didn't even get to the point of querying why we were charged more than other family members even though they were in a more superior room and had booked their room later--outwith what special wedding rate?
I was a bit shocked that acting as master of ceremonies the manager did not dress more smartly--he did put on a jacket but I thought a tie would have been appropriate in a 4? star hotel. As said we will not be back and will not recommend this hotel.
I must commend the service of his young staff despite our feelings as regards the above.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Sutton Coldfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

We were looking for somewhere to stay close by the motorway on our return from a tour of Scotland. Fortunately, TomTom has this hotel listed and what a find.
We had a large garden room that was clean, with all the facilities you would expect in a 4 star hotel. An excellent view of the gardens and cattle in the adjoining field.
Dinner was of a high quality with plenty of choice served in the restaurant overlooking the garden. Breakfast was of a similar quality to the dinner.
The staff were all friendly and attentive.
A decent choice of malt whiskies in the bar also added to our enjoyment.
Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Dryfesdale Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!