“Heatwave affects Ukraine?” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
“Heatwave affects Ukraine?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Four of us visited the Coast Restaurant yesterday (Sunday) evening, my wife and I and two friends whom we had not seen for several years and who we wanted to treat.

We had booked in advance and had a drink in the bar whilst our orders were taken. My first impression of the foyer had been that the establishment was air conditioned but on moving through into the bar and restaurant it was very obvious that it was not. To be fair the outside heat and humidity have been unusually high in the last few days but it was sad that the first impression was soon spoiled.

On being taken through to our table in the restaurant we found that we had a really good view of the sea and staff were both very welcoming and helpful. Our selections had been a mixture from the table d'hote and the a la carte menus. Our guests appeared to be happy with their choices or were too polite to say otherwise but I was disappointed in the Chicken Kiev, which had been described in the menu as one of the hotel specialities.

I should have been prepared as the breadcrumbed exterior of the Kiev looked as if someone had burned the toast. On cutting into it I found that it was overcooked and dry without a trace left of the of the garlic butter which, even if the Kiev had been slightly over-cooked, would normally have kept the centre reasonably moist. This wasn't.

The main purpose of our visit had been was to catch up with news from our friends and this we did, with eating being a secondary consideration, otherwise I would have spoken to the staff at the time. To send back something back,.even though barely palatable, would have disrupted our conversation and overshadowed our reunion.

A secondary consideration was possibly that the waiting staff were pleasant and helpful and it would have seemed ungracious to take out my real thoughts about the dish on them when it should have been on the kitchen staff. I always carry, however, a dog-bag to take any left-over treat for our dog and he did very well last night.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Sea view room is a must, friendly staff - recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

The hotel isn't particularly posh or perfect but what it lacks in elegance it makes up for in good service & special touches. Our room was upgraded to a sea view & this made it for us because the hotel is right on the sandy beach & we opened our window last night & listened to the sea - very special! The room was huge, clean & comfortable but not high end, quite basic, but nice pictures & soft furnishings made it a little more special. Last night we were out late & arrived back in the early hours & we put the 24 hour bar to the test - we loved this, the bar was opened & the bar tender kindly & cheerfully mixed us drinks into the early hours telling us interesting stories & joining in with our late night/early morning chat. The breakfast was generous & very good too. Full marks to the Hotel Victoria for a very enjoyable stay. Highly recommend.

Visited July 2014
norwiich
“could do better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I do wonder how reviews can be so different! We found the atmosphere to be welcoming and the staff friendly. As already mentioned, the restaurant enjoys a splendid view of the sea and we were lucky enough to have a window table. We opted for the special Mediterranean menu running until the end of June and whilst perfectly enjoyable it was a little disappointing with regards to seasoning and imagination. Service was quiet and friendly but a bit slow; I'd almost finished my starter before the wine arrived. Garlic prawns, although nice enough, were average but the red mullet with fennel was tasty. The potatoes had a somewhat dry-looking tomato sauce on them so they looked as though they'd been hanging around a bit. Orange pannacotta was pleasant but the small dollop of chocolate sauce on the side looked commercial. The price was very reasonable; under £50 for 2 people,including pre-lunch drinks, 2 glasses of wine and coffee.How can that be expensive in this day and age? It would be interesting to go again when there's no Special menu on the go.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Coventry
“Enjoyed the food, tad pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Spent £90 on a dinner for 4, 2 adults, 2 kids. That included a bottle of red. I enjoyed the prawn and mango starter but my mum said the veg soup was bland and when I tried it, it was. Steak was cooked well, I like the chips. Kids dinner was cooked well. Desert again I enjoyed this I have the creme brûlée. Overall I did have a lovely dinner, service was great x

Lowestoft, United Kingdom
“nice view shame about the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Had a voucher given, been a chef 35 years. Starter frozen duck rolls cold in the middle. Main chicken kiev with no garlic butter inside dry wit frozen peas soggy. Hand cut chips dessert cheap ice cream with shortbread out of a packet and this was a speciality menu? great view good service poor food that does not match the restaurant. Could be great need thought going in to the menu with local fresh ingredient. Not a frozen Food company

Visited May 2014