“Poor breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Lowestoft
Fakenham, United Kingdom
“Poor breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

A comfy room and friendly staff spoiled by an inadequate breakfast. A full English breakfast consists of; 1 rasher, 1 small sausage, 1 hash brown, an egg, a slice of black pudding, half a mushroom and half a tomato!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Diss, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

In May we stayed at the Hatfield for two nights as a birthday treat. We had a big double room with an absolutely fabulous sea view so much so we were reluctant to close the blinds when we went to sleep!!! I woke at 5am to see the amazing sunrise and was impressed to see two people swimming in the sea, I didn't join them however!!! The hotel is very laid back and although we were pleased with our stay and the food it just lacked that finesse and attention to detail in the restaurant, in our opinion they were very short staffed, only one girl on duty for breakfast. The position of the hotel is great and we felt at £95 for sea view room with b & b it was good value for money. We also had brilliant weather which of course made the break - I would go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a full sea view, you won't be disappointed, the room isn't plush, quite basic but, d...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We decided last minute to take a break for a couple of nights and the thursday booked the Hatfield Hotel Executive Double - charge £95 per night including breakfast. We arrived at the hotel around 9.30pm and found they did not have out booking, fortunately we had printed it off. She only had a suite on offer or a double seafront room. We had a look at both. We took the suite - the famous Ryan Suite which you will see mentioned by another person. The problem was easily dealt with however and i actually loved the room but thats because we got it for £190.00 for the two nights. Its old and 30's style, in desperate need of modernisation but its a great big room with a four poster bed and lots of space. Great views as well.

Bar - we found the bars to be perfectly fine, In fact we love love loved the terrace area which is the only one on offer along the stretch of beach. We had great weather so benefited from it enormously. - nice live singing on the Saturday night, not many in attendance which was a shame but we had been out for the evening and coming back it was nice to have a nightcap to it.
Breakfast - really is not very good. quite poor service (normally girl on her own), food not up to much and limited buffet choice. Ive had much better in less expensive hotels. Main food daytime - we didn't eat during lunch or dinner but they do a carvery for about £5.99 at lunchtimes and it was packed. I saw a couple of diners eating and it looked quite yummy. Cant comment though really as we didn't try.
Staff - found them all really friendly.
Position - the hotel itself is right on the seafront and perfect for going to the beach or if you want to go into the very small town. Not much in that part of Lowestoft though but im sure loads to do if you wanted to jump in car. We also found it a very old town as in very old people inhabit it. LOL
Problems - The final bill was presented when we left and a number of items were on it that we did not recognise. They kept us waiting for over half an hour to find receipts that were missing.. unfortunately, i nipped to the loo and when i came back hubby had settled the bill... WITHOUT SIGNED RECEIPTS FOR ABOUT 30 ODD QUID... he doesn't like hassle but i would not have paid it if i was presented with them without signatures so check your bill carefully when you leave. This system clearly needs updating because they lose dockets. The fact we had to stand around waiting was also a bit of a downer on what was a nice little break.

That was it though... nice little break, Go for sea view if you book. :-)

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We paid £95 a night so expected a good hotel in Lowestoft. The room was Ok & a good shower too. Lovely & clean with a sea view, TV worked fine.Went for breakfast, no water, loose sugar for cereals or glasses for juice, we had to ask for those! It came,looked like a smiley face with all the empty spaces, the sausage my husband had was about 2 inches long.I asked for low fat spread instead of butter & artificial sweetener instead of sugar as I am diabetic. I was told they didn't have those, I couldn't believe it as even little cafes have those options! The next morning we knew what to expect, OK.We thought we would have our lunch there a club sandwich each at £5.95 but, if we put it on our room bill we would get 10% off so that's what I did. We had a drink in the bar thought it would be nice to sit there & eat. After finishing my drink 40 mins later went to ask where my sandwiches were. Total confusion behind the bar, having trouble with the till etc.I was not amused by this time, fortunately the manageress & another chap were there by this time & I let my feelings be known about my lack of lunch & their lack of healthy eating options at breakfast.So had it knocked off our bill & ate at Howards cafe over the road!

Room Tip: Sea view at the front
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Popped in for a bit of late lunch and experienced the worst service ever! Only one guy behind the bar who had two speeds - stop and slow. No other staff in sight anywhere. I waited 15 minutes to be served and would still be standing there if a waiter hadn't come past.

After he had told me he wasn't allowed to work behind the bar I told him to go and find someone who could - and as if by magic another person quickly appeared. It then took another 20 minutes for my food to arrive at a not very busy time of the day.

The meal was nice but was not worth the hassle or the wait. Interior of the dining area tired and in need of refurbishment, tatty and worn carpets, etc.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hitchin, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

To start with there was no parking and the receptionist advised me to go down the road where there was a paying park. I had specifically asked about parking before making the journey. The hotel room was the Ryan Suite at £95 per night. The main door had the internal lock missing and the door framework was all split around the area concerned. We couldn’t lock the door at bedtime and anyone could have a key cut. We were considering wedging an armchair under the handle but it was becoming easier just to go home.
The curtains were all ripped and torn. The bed sheet was so creased and crumpled it was obvious that other people had slept there without the sheets being changed. My wife lifted the sheet and was almost sick at the condition of the mattress. The material was missing in large areas exposing the stuffing. It was disgusting ! We checked the other side of the bed and the mattress was even worse ! Great areas of material missing (probably rotted away). How old was this filthy mattress ?
At this point we called the General Manager who was embarrassed at the condition of the room and could only offer the excuse that the hotel was being refurbished and this was the last room. What a coincidence ! They should not have continued to use this room as it was not fit for purpose. I hasten to add that the bed was a four poster with material draped over the top. God knows what was living up there !
We had a meal earlier in the day and we thought that steak and chips with a bottle of wine should be a safe bet and the wine was OK but the glasses were filthy. They were both cloudy which was acceptable due to a dishwasher but the objects stuck on the outside of both glasses was not acceptable. The food arrived and was no better. The chips were the grottiest that I have seen.
We turned over one after another and they were all black and nasty on the underside. The chef
must have spent ages preparing them good side up.
To sum up, we travelled home on the same day arriving at 11.15 pm. I did not look forward to the journey but there was no alternative. Where else would we sleep ?
I would suggest that the Hatfield should stop letting any rooms that have not been refurbished,
The hotel should be sprayed internally from top to bottom. A handyman should be hired to fix all of the complaints including the plumbing, and finally a huge sign should be erected outside stating
“Under New Management.”

Alan Mills
Managing Director Almec EAS Ltd.

Room Tip: Try the Swan Hotel at Southwold
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
James R, General Manager at The Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Thank you for your comments I would however like to make some things clear. We do have restricted parking at the hotel which is rarely full, however, on this occasion it was. The receptionist was attempting to solve this issue by informing you of alternative parking in the area. As far as the locks are concerned. The internal lock has been removed as you were informed to ensure fire regulations are adhered to. All our keys are security keys and cannot be cut without a passcode. This was also confirmed to you before you left.

This room is next on our list for renovation which is why we charge a lower price for it than our sea view doubles which are half the size of this suite. I guarantee as I said on the night in question that the sheets were clean. It was in investigating this I discovered that they had in fact not been ironed which is something I have rectified immediately. The mattress has been replaced and once the room is renovated so will the curtains. I must however confirm hat the mattress was completely covered in a protector and was in a state of disrepair and not filthy as you have stated.

The material over the four poster bed is completely clean as was the general state of the room. Regardless to this you, as per your rights, decided not to stay in this room. As a gesture of goodwill I offered you a different room which you could inspect before staying, completely free of charge. This offer you refused which was disappointing as you failed to give us the chance to rectify any issues.

Once again I thank you for bringing some issues regarding our Ryan Suite to my attention and I have rectified these.
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Went to the Hatfield for fish & chips which were excellent we have been several times and have always found them consistently good the fish is very fresh with lovely crispy batter and nice chips, decided to have salad instead of peas and the dressing was delicious would certainly recommend them

• Stayed May 2014

Been to The Hatfield Hotel? Share your experiences!