“Excellent food, nice atmosphere and super friendly staff!” 5 of 5 stars

The Angel & Blue Pig
108 High Street, New Forest National Park, Lymington SO41 9AP, England   |
Ranked #21 of 42 Lymington B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, nice atmosphere and super friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I went for a meal with my family at The Angel and Blue Pig last Saturday and we spent 4 hours drinking and eating. We had a three course meal and each course was beautifully presented and cooked to perfection. The staff were very friendly and helpful and didn't rush us, simply left us to enjoy our experience there. We were shown the rooms which were lovely and have booked a return trip including a hotel at the end of May.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Brentwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Stayed here last night, nice place, lovely room. Would definitely stay again but would probably eat elsewhere. The restaurant is nice, good atmosphere, staff lovely. But the food was at best pub average. Had the roast chicken, plain and ordinary, chips certainly not triple cooked. Husband had the burger, again nothing special. We sat down at 7.30 to be told several things were off the menu including the fish, which is bizarre when you are 5 minute walk from the sea! Had a drink in the bar early evening, again nice atmosphere but the pint had by my husband was flat and when I asked for a glass of Sauvignon wasn't given a choice but charged £10 for a glass of wine!!! So not dismissing the Angel as a place to stay but the food needs to improve greatly to justify the price.

Room Tip: We had a super king and it was lovely, didn't see any other rooms
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Matt E, General Manager at The Angel & Blue Pig, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear "maxBEssex"
Thanks for the 4 stars review and kind comments about the service and hotel rooms. I can only apologize over your average standard food you received and that you weren't given our full range of wine at the bar. I would invite you to contact me directly to discuss further as we normally ask about wine preferences so maybe the bar tender thought you would prefer the NZ option? We hold weekly kitchen meetings and I will discuss your comments with my head chef this afternoon. We hope to see you again and I can assure you the food quality will improve. Regards, Matt E - GM
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This place is all according to what your preferences are. I had a "single" room on the 2nd floor. It has a double bed tucked up against the wall and is very nicely decorated, great wallpaper! Nicely and fashionably styled, beautiful bathroom but because of the small window tucked in the eaves, the room is rather dark even in daylight. The lamp on its own really needs a slightly stronger light bulb as it is very dim, and the alternative is ALL the lights on, which I personally dont like. Very clean, lovely towels.
However, the waterproof mattress protector is of such a quality that it made me "perspire" uncomfortably in the night. And this is only April...

The continental breakfast offering laid out in the breakfast room was very nice including fresh fruit. I requested porridge but it was of a consistency that could have held paper on a wall when it arrived! Whoever had prepared it had clearly not eaten porridge themselves. The very pleasant breakfast staffperson took it back no quibble, and the second offering was much better but luke warm. I didnt send it back again as it was a quiet room and I didnt want to make a fuss.
There is free Wi-fi but I found this wasnt accessible in my room without it constantly dropping out, but it worked well in the bar lounge area.
I didnt eat a meal in the evening but ordered just a dessert of Lemon Tarte which was nice but over priced I felt at 5.95.
Whilst waiting for the dessert I was entertained by a group of young men who I got the impression were off duty staff who were engaged in tea towel whipping one another. I hadnt realised there was such skill involved to ensure a juicy "crack" to the most tender parts of your victim! However, I dont think the elderly guest trying to be served next to them at the bar was finding it so entertaining and the barman was clearly slightly embarrassed in the knowledge that they shouldnt be doing such in front of guests. At the time I stayed, with one exception, all the guests I saw at breakfast were retirement age or above. But as it is a pub in essence, perhaps a bit of boisterous behaviour is to be expected occasionally.
The location of The Angel is perfect for shopping and accessing all the riverside amenities that Lymington has to offer, only a short walk to the Harbour.
I didnt find the stay good value as a single traveller, even though my reduced rate was to 60 pounds but a couple would get better value on a double room.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Matt E, General Manager at The Angel & Blue Pig, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear "Gail T" Thank you for such a detailed review and the 4 stars, Where you were in room 7, we have acknowledged the smaller window and tighter space however because of the larger bathroom and double bed, we feel the lower / single room rate adds more value to a room which can sleep 2 people. Good point about the lamp however and I can look into adding a brighter bulb. I apologize about the porridge, I think an extra practice and small staff training session was needed in order for our breakfasts to come out consistantly and this was organised for earlier this week. I am looking into the Wifi signal strength as I've not had this problem before however it would be good to have someone service the hardware in case of any ongoing fault. We are glad you enjoyed your stay overall and we hope to see you again! Kind regards, Matt E - GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Fantastic boutique pub in Lymington - a great harbour town & base from which to explore the New Forest & South Coast. The quirky rooms in a 13th Century pub really add to the character. Bit noisy sometimes, but it is above a pub! Lovely food, free parking & WI-FI. Continental breakfast is a nice change, and included in the tariff. Service very warm & welcoming. Great stay, thanks!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear "JimandNic99"
Thanks for the lovely comments and 5 stars! You write an accurate and pleasant discription of who we think we are too. I will pass on the comments to my hard working team. See you again soon! Regards, Matt E - GM
Tunstall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very comfy room in lovely inn. Breakfast as described. Ok. Dinner was also fine not fab. They had run out of what 3 of the 4 of us would have ordered. I would stay here agin and the staff were very good.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Matt E, General Manager at The Angel & Blue Pig, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear "Judy D" Thanks for the 4 stars and pleasant comments. You point out quite a large thing about us...our 13th century building that has plenty of stairs and no 21st century elevators! I think it is something guests buy in to...the town centre location, the low beams and the many historical stories about the place however things like lifts could never be part of it. Upn booking however we are more than happy to adhere to requests over which floor customers would like to stay on.

With regards to the food, we are glad you had an overall nice time however can only apologize about the full menu running thin. We must have had a higher demand for certain items than anticipated however we have now upped our levels and this error should be no more.

We hope to see you in with us again sometime.

Regards, Matt E - GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

On a recent trip to the new forest with the other half we ended up in here for lunch. The pub itself is lovely looking on the inside. All the staff were very friendly and the service was nice and quick. We both really enjoyed our meals and hope to be back in the future!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Matt E, General Manager at The Angel & Blue Pig, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear "megmogxo" Thank you for a lovely review and taking the tme to let everyone know about my friendly staff. They are all really the reason our business thrives. We all hope to have you back in again soon. Take care, Matt E - GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had a lovely lunch on Saturday afternoon. The pub was quite busy, with lots of others also enjoying the pub, but the ambience was very enticing with some gentle live folk music. We had a good size round table for 7 adults and 4 young children so not the easiest group, but service was excellent and the food was very tasty.
I particularly enjoyed the local ales.

Stayed March 2015
Matt E, General Manager at The Angel & Blue Pig, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear "BrynEmans" Thanks a million for your great review, it means a lot to us. We are a family friendly venue and cater for bookings with young children as best we can so it makes us smile to know you and the kids had a good time! See you in again soon we hope!
Matt E - GM

Been to The Angel & Blue Pig? Share your experiences!