“Stay somewhere else if you like to sleep” 2 of 5 stars

The Angel & Blue Pig
108 High Street, Lymington SO41 9AP , England   |
Ranked #23 of 41 Lymington B&B and Inns
Sorrento, Italy
“Stay somewhere else if you like to sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We booked what we were led to believe was a Superking room. I told the staff member when we booked I was disabled, well, to be honest, I didn't use the exact words, but I did ask if they had disabled parking. We is covered we were on the third floor, with no lift. They did move us to a first floor room.
This is their room "Michael", which I also believe is room 1. The noise was unbearable, with heavy traffic from very early morning, until well after midnight. Not the Hotel's fault, but we also had to put up with a drunken guest who had been locked out of her room, and spent over 45 minutes knocking on the door until she finally woke him up.

The Super King room was very basic, although the bed itself was very good. They had an open wardrobe with no drawers or doors. There was no hanging space as, what there was, was taken up by the two towelling dressing gowns. No dressing table with mirror, a particular hate of my wife's

Despite the obvious drawback of the noise the double glazing had been removed. The frame for the double glazed door had been left in place, which meant it was not possible to open the door to obtain fresh air. No tissues in the room. The "recently" refurbished bathroom had a very awkward step down into it, no bath mat for its' very slippery bath.

I took the above with a member of the reception staff who made nothing of the noise and no alternative room to offer.

Other than that the staff were reasonably friendly and the included continental breakfast perfectly adequate, hence my raising the marking level to 2.

It can only be the popularity of this area, in my opinion, that allows this property to continue as they cannot possibly let people come to their premises, knowing it is almost impossible to get a good nights sleep, especially if stopping in the front rooms.

"

Room Tip: It states it has wifi but I was unable to connect to it
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed 29-06 to 01-07 2014.
Got here early, Staff able to put luggage away behind bar & collected later for check in.
Check in and out very easy, Staff great.
Room very good.
Food in restaurant good.
Location is very central, not far from shops and nature reserve not far away.
Well recommended, Will return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Andrew T, Manager at The Angel & Blue Pig, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you very much for all the kind words in your review. looking foward for your next visit.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Had a Superior Room, which was a good size with a very large bed. Modern bathroom, met all our needs for a one night stay. Staff welcome was friendly (Bruno) and efficient, as was service in the restaurant. Food was straight forward, good pub food at reasonable prices. Well presented and tasty. Room rate included Continental Breakfast, which was wholly adequate.
Downside is rooms fronting the High Street have the bonus of EARLY morning deliveries to adjacent businesses, so can be noisy.
Stayed on a Sunday night so bar area was quiet, Friday/Saturday evening may have noise issues. Average price for a room, would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Consider a room at the back from a noise perspective.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrew T, Manager at The Angel & Blue Pig, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff strive to ensure our guests have a comfortable and pleasant time.

unfortunately the noise from the high street is out of our control, however we now have secondary glazing in place to ensure that all our rooms are quite and peaceful.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Nicely appointed pub with great meals, accomodation & such friendly service. Rooms looked very nice but did not stay. Would definitely do so if in the area. Hotel situated in centre of town, very good location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Great location in the middle of lovely Lymington high street with allocated parking for resident guests only. We had 2 superking rooms (one dog friendly) and the quality of the furnishings, bedding etc is undeniable. (Ramiel is particularly stunning and spacious) Nice amenities, complimentary local chocs and home baked cookies however, earplugs and a room fan would have been more useful. The evening was very warm so we needed to open the balcony doors to allow ventilation but Lymington could well be the town that never sleeps. I certainly didn't, unfortunately. The noise from the street below was seemingly continuous throughout the course of the (Sunday) night. Not the Inn's fault of course. My parents had the adjacent room and suffered similarly. The building oozes character and we all enjoyed our evening meal. The continental breakfast was adequate. The staff were very pleasant - possibly too few of them at times and as the system was unable to generate my bill at checkout due to a server failure, I had to pay by telephone later that day. I was promised the bill would be emailed to me but this was 2 weeks ago and despite several emails reminding them I am awaiting it, I have heard nothing further. This place could be fantastic but due to the disturbance to my sleep, I would probably look elsewhere for accommodation during warmer seasons.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrew T, Manager at The Angel & Blue Pig, responded to this review, 1 week ago

You will be glad to hear that we now have secondary glazing in all our front facing rooms, as well as this, we now have fans in all our rooms. there will now hopefully be no sleepless nights at the Angel for any of our guests.
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

room 14!!!!! beware the climb, 4th. floor, 47 steps, I feel that young or old, customers should be advised of the climb to the 4th floor. However when you have got there the room is splendid, superb beds, linen, pillows, towels, everything first class.
the service was good, in parts!!! maybe under-staffed.
the restaurant food was average. breakfast continental breakfast was below average, I object to paying for toast!!!
THE CAR PARKING ARRANGEMENT IS BRILLIANT as is the free Wi-Fi

Room Tip: room 14 if you like a climb!!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
UK Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have seen the many good TripAdvisor reviews for this establishment and I have dined here quite a few times and so I am very sorry to say that in my experience the Kitchen can occasionally turn out an awful meal. Although most of my guests say they are happy with their meals, I sadly seem mostly to get a bad one. I last dined here with six family members on Fathers' Day, two of whom were B&B guests, and my choice was 'Pan fried plaice, broccoli and new potatoes'. But the plaice was swimming in grease - butter probably - which by any standard was grossly overdone. And it was grossly over salted too. I struggled to eat just some of it so as not to embarrass my guests, but left most on the plate. The potatoes were seriously overcooked and one piece actually was black with rot. The broccoli, however, was perfect! While only one in the seven meals served that evening was awful, it was one too many. There may be some who wouldn't mind the plaice swimming in melted butter (if that is what it was) but what chef would allow a rotten potato to be served from his kitchen?

As I say, my guests seem mostly to be happy when eating here, but I mostly am not. I have not stayed here B&B, but all my guests who have done so have praised the rooms and the breakfast. So it's not a bad place overall. But next time I get an awful meal, guests or no guests present, I am going to complain.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Angel & Blue Pig? Share your experiences!