“Fabulous sunday lunch!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 98 Restaurants in Lymington
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Well you've finally found that pub where Jimi Hendrix jammed before he did the IOW festival. It's changed a bit since then! It's now rather smart. Sort of coastal shabby chic, but it works. It's had a makeover recently and it's now gone "all foodie".  Between heathland and waterside, and en-route for Lymington Pier ferry terminal, The Waggon & Horses has become a well-established New Forest favourite. With Wadworth accredited beer, decent wine and a rather fab local chef, producing very Tom Kerridge-esque dishes, it's definitely a destination venue these days. Don't panic, there is still fish & chips, but it's a bit more up market than the usual. Not scary prices either, just good locally sourced Hampshire products with a little twist. The ambience is nothing short of laid-back but with damn fine food and service.
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous sunday lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have been to the Waggon twice and have thoroughly enjoyed myself both times. First was a sunday lunch where the food was great, better than expected. We sat by the fire which was warm and cosy and the service was very friendly. The second time i went for a drink with a friend and ended up staying for dinner. The staff were very accomodating as it was a saturday night and we had not booked a table. A great place for food or just a drink with friends. Will definately be returning... often!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Just Shows Opinions Can Vary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I wasn't sure if the last couple of negative reviews were written by a jealous competitor, such was the difference in what we found the last two times we visited. Both were Friday nights and in groups of 6 and 8, and on both occasions we all loved it.
I will admit the dark printed menus needed some light to be read, but the food (especially recommend the Fish and Chips) was superb, the beer just right, and the wine both enjoyable and affordable.
I know most of the good pubs in / around Lymington, and think this new team running the place have done well to get what was once a typical 'spit and sawdust' pub, up to a great standard. Well done, for sure our pals will revisit again soon.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Colchester
“Great Meal and Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Mobile apps etc had not rated this very highly, but have been told it had changed hands and was trying to change, we gave it a shot. I was surprisingly fantastic. Food was well sourced, well cooked and presented, the ambiance was lovely, and if I had to be critical, the only thing was the staff asked if everything was okay too many times. With food this good, just being in eye shot was fine.

Visited February 2013
lymington
“Breath of Fresh in Lymington - Not to be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have been thoroughly delighted with my whole experience at The Waggon and Horses. My partner and myself have eaten here on at least 10 occasions. On every visit we have received outstanding service, exceptional food using very high quality produce that has been locally sourced , extremely well priced along with generous portions. It is must for to visit for lunch or supper.

The menu offers something for everyone, I am vegetarian, but I also eat fish. Their menu is concise and well thought out. it does not offer everything and the kitchen sink, however I feel that is a plus, sometime less is more. That is certainly the case here. Alex is very talented at cooking both meat and fish. Having eaten all over the world and in many top restaurants most chefs are good at one or the other.

I run a local business and many of my clients have also been very impressed across the board with Tracey and Alex's attention to detail, their warm welcome and their relaxed and professional approach. It is very difficult in these times to run successful businesses we should support and promote those that provide what the Waggon and Horse do. It is hard work and they are dedicated to their clients. For the first time in 11 years I have a local pub, walking distance from my home being run by a super couple that should be praised for all their efforts. Well done.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cheshire
“Good food, nice venue, below expected service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

3 of us went for a meal on a Thursday evening. We were shown to our table, served drinks and presented with the 'different' menus. These were sheets of dark coloured paper with dark grey writing presented on a clipboard. The lighting was very subdued so the only way to read the menus was by the candle in the centre of the table; we took it in turns! We chose the scallop main dish only to be told they had run out of scallops! At 6:30pm??? When our food did come it was very nicely presented and we all enjoyed it. The waitresses were very efficient and well mannered, in fact overly so! OTT at times. However after we had been fed, we felt forgotten. I had to go to the bar to request the bill and again to pay it. Maybe we just experienced an off day!

• Visited February 2013