“Distinctly average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort

You added Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Baddesley Road, New Forest National Park, Lymington SO41 5ZB, England   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Lymington
“Distinctly average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business. Looked great when I checked, lovely building. When I got to the room I can only say that Butlins came to mind. Service was ok, drinks in the bar were expensive and the choice of white wines that they actually had in stock was poor. Room was really outdated, awful faded furniture and curtains from the 80's. Shower gel wasn't replenished for 3 days. Room not made up on one of the days and had to call reception at 4pm to get the room made up. Also, Staff pushing very noisy carts across the front of the hotel rooms until 10pm kept me awake, I wouldn't stay here again, I wished that I had gone to a premier inn... It cost over £700 for the 6 days... Not a happy customer

• Stayed May 2013
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review of our establishment, we were sorry to read that on this instance we could not meet your expectations.
I was sorry to read that your room was not made up before 4pm on one of the day. Although we will try our best to service bedrooms before 4pm, in some rare instance rather than compromise on standards our team will service bedrooms later than the 4pm deadline, please accept my apologies of their behalf.
Our feature bedrooms have been refurbished in the last 6 months to a very high standard. The remaining of our bedrooms are more basic in style however they have also seen a considerable amount of investment with brand new wooden headboards, flat screen TVs new beds and mattresses. We also are replacing patio doors, carpets, baths, upholstery on a rolling basis. However I will feedback your comments to our executive team in view of further refurbishments.
Regarding the shower gel during long stay it should be always replaced unless almost full. We will brief our team to ensure of no further guest disappointments.
I appreciate your comments regarding rather staying in Premier Inn, however Premier Inn do not offer outstanding Leisure facilities with 2 Restaurants in 23 acres of landscaped gardens.
I am sorry again that we could not meet your expectations and I hope that your experience will not deter you from using other Macdonald establishment as they all are unique in their style.
Resort General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Aragon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I would like tot thank you the staff of this hotel. I can't understand other comments about but service, my husband and I had a wonderful stay and everyone was very friendly.
I work in travel industry myself and I'm use to stay in Hotels. It isn't nothing luxurious but it is a lovely 4 star hotel surrounded by lovely gardens.

We stayed in an executive room and it was nicely decorated, breakfast was also very good and I did enjoy my stay in this area.

I will highly recommend it.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback left on the Trip Advisor Website, we were delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay. We have passed your annotations back to our team, as comments such as yours are a great moral boost. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the not too distant future.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed at Elmers Court For one week from 28th January,weather was mixed but no ice and snow.
This a typical Macdonalds gold standard time share resort,we had an accomodation in the main house with a balcony overlooking the Solent,
Apartment was excellent with fully equipped kitchen/livingroom with a large bedroom, it was very warm ,perfect for a winter break

Room Tip: A room in the main house with beautiful views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is always so positive to receive great feedback like yours, and we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Resort , in one of our apartments overlooking the Solent. Our team would like to thank you and look forward to your return in the not too distant future.

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Went here last week everything about this place was great, the gardens the room the service were all second to none, the bed was really clean with lovely white crisp sheets and duvet.
The receptionist was so nice it made a really nice change for someone to actually be polite, she went through everything with us which made our stay very pleasant.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback left on the Trip Advisor Website, we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found it very clean and well furnished. We have passed your comments back to our team and Lisa in particular, as they are a great moral boost. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the not too distant future.

Middle England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Since returning I have read some of the other reviews about this hotel and in some respects I wish I had done this first.
Before I move to the Pro's and Con's I should say that my complaint and feedback was dealt with courteously with the General Manager with a satisfactory resolution.

This is NOT a bad hotel, however as other reviewers have mentioned, one needs to realise that the hotel bedroom accommodation is located in a motel style block away from the main house. The Macdonald brochure sells the Elizabethan style house and its lovely gardens which can of course be enjoyed. However, unless you own a timeshare apartment or dine in the a la carte restaurant this is the only time you will experience the charm and ambience between check in and check out.

I along with others it would seem, had, at time of booking, not realised this so of course my partner and I were disappointed to find the annexe accommodation was not what we expected.

Some of these rooms have been refurbished, ours had not. The room/apartment was accessed directly into the bedroom area via a glass door with glass panels either side. For privacy at ground level the curtains need to be drawn. As this is the only natural light source the room then feels darker and less airy. Fortunately the days were dry but I would not be pleased about the thought of walking straight onto the carpet and bedroom area with wet shoes/clothing etc.

The room was sizeable with a small self catering area with sink and fridge but the decor was tired and the bathroom was showing its age - only noticeable the following morning I should add. It was clean "ish" but I don't expect to find cobwebs in a hotel of this standard.

The weather was pleasant during our stay which meant we didn't get wet walking to and from the car park where there are no covered walkways to the accommodation block. The lighting issue mentioned in some reviews appears to have been addressed.

Breakfast was served in the Scottish Steak Club which is the "Sports Bar" mentioned in previous reviews. I didn't find the TV obtrusive and this was a comfortable area in which to eat a superb breakfast with excellent choice on offer. This more relaxed, casual restaurant is in another annexe which houses the Spa and Gym facilities.

Towels are provided free of charge and my partner and I decided to relax in the Sauna, Steam and Pool after our arrival. These facilities cannot be described as luxurious. They are Satisfactory - certainly not the worst, but equally not the best. The pool area is sizeable enough but I personally found the Chlorination to be particularly strong. There is no Jacuzzi or hot tub - it is a "bubble spa" accessed from the pool with the same water and temperature so feels rather cool.

Again the male shower facilities are showing their age and feedback was given to the General Manager. Again at first glance, very nice but look closely and I would describe them as "Shabby". A good scrub and a little maintenance would go a long way to bringing this facility up to scratch.

The gardens are a delight and the outside pool looks like an oasis but the weather wasn't quite warm enough to brave this feature. There was definitely an air of peace and tranquility within the grounds, however be wary of where you go as you can very easily end up on the residents and/or timeshare accommodation and this seemed a bit intrusive.

Now the last part. The Elmers Court sits in grounds overlooking the Estuary and Lymington. The lawned area extends right down to the waters edge where a number of wooden seats are provided for guests to enjoy the view. This view however is very much spoiled by the detritus and flotsam which has become so common along our shores. I fully appreciate that this is not the fault of the hotel. The Manager and I discussed at length if there was anything that could be done to improve the outlook here and sadly it would seem there is not - partly a National Park issue. Try as I might, sitting overlooking the estuary I could not ignore the plethora of plastics, tyres and other rubbish which has washed up over the years. Really, something needs to be done to improve this viewpoint!
Turn around however and the beautiful view of the lawned gardens leading up to the house is lovely. Just a shame that your accommodation or facilities aren't in it.

Despite the hopefully constructive criticism, the staff we encountered were all friendly courteous and helpful. We had a nice one night getaway break in a hotel that seems to have lost its charm becoming a timeshare resort. Generally disappointed when it could have been so much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room on the upper floor of the annexe.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your objective review review left on the trip advisor website. I was glad than overall you had an enjoyable stay with us at Elmers Court.
As I previously explained we are continually improving the Resort while taking into account our guests suggestions. Our feature bedrooms have been refurbished in the last 6 months to a very high standard. The remaining of our bedrooms are more basic in style however they have also seen a considerable amount of investment with brand new wooden headboards, flat screen TVs new beds and mattresses. We also are replacing patio doors, carpets, baths, upholstery on a rolling basis.
Although I can assure you that they are thoroughly cleaned, we have planned to refurbished our Leisure changing room showers in the next few months.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of our Macdonald breakfast which is a benchmark in our industry.
Regarding our rooms situated away from the Manor House reception , it is clearly indicated on our website.
I can assure you that this are isolated incidents and not the usual standards we are renowned for.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you were visiting the New Forest and prepared to give us another chance at restoring your faith in our establishment.

Godstone
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

the Positive first:
the Toiletries our room were pleasant -Lavender & Tea-tree, the room was a good size and the housekeeping staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is a good selection of cold and continental and hot food cooked to order. Really liked this as it was hot and one could specify how things were cooked. The Spa area is OK - but the the jacuzzi is within the pool, so it not the hot type. Personally I wasn't impressed or convinced of it as a Day Spa.

The negatives:
like some other reviews, I agree that this destination/resort doesn't seem to know what it really is focusing on. There are clearly three sectors : Corporate/weddings, MacDonald members holiday club, and finally the Hotel B&B market. The accommodation we stayed (25a) in was the detached chalet style which can be seen in some of the photos. The décor was somewhat dated, although clean was showing signs of wear and also had a breakfast bar and full sized fridge which was noisy at night. As the units are detached if you need to get to reception or the leisure facilities, one will get wet if the weather is inclement, this felt more like a self catering unit stay than and Hotel break. Also the cost was excessive - I would stay somewhere else unless you desperately need to be near the ferry or have to have Spa facilities.

Room Tip: if you want a hotel feel, ask for the Manor House. If you want a semi self catering quiet/remote loc...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review left on the trip advisor website. I was glad than overall you had an enjoyable stay with us at Elmers Court.
Regarding our rooms situated away from the Manor House reception , it is clearly indicated on our website and at the time of booking. The manor House only host apartments and no Hotel bedrooms are situated in the Manor House.
We are continually improving the Resort while taking into account our guests suggestions. Our feature bedrooms have been refurbished in the last 6 months to a very high standard. The remaining of our bedrooms are more basic in style however they have also seen a considerable amount of investment with brand new wooden headboards, flat screen TVs new beds and
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of our Macdonald breakfast which is a benchmark in our industry as well as the Spa aspect to your stay.

brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My sister and I booked a spa break for two nights, which was excellant value for money. Beware GPS will take you to the back entrance instead of front and main reception, as it will bring you on the scenic route just carry on round past trades entrance towards Lymington and then you will come to main entrance. We had nice relaxing two days weather was kind to us no rain, staff were excellant and really helpful. Indoor pool is very nice large and same depth all over 1.2 meters which if you are like me not confident swimmer is great you don't get the sudden drop to deep depths. Part of our deal was 3 course meal in restaurant which was really good, only downside we were only ones there staff said it was first quite night they had had for months.

Room Tip: we had ground floor as room are in lodges round courtyards, upstairs would be brighter but room was...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback left on the Trip Advisor Website, we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience at the Resort. We have passed your comments back to our team, as they are a great moral boost. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the not too distant future.

Resort General Manager

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!