“Cosy boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stanwell House Hotel

You added Stanwell House Hotel to your Saves list
Stanwell House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14-15 High Street, New Forest National Park, Lymington SO41 9AA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Lymington
London
“Cosy boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

O loved the intimate and cosy feel of this hotel.
Great food and atmosphere
Ideal for a romantic getaway
Staff were sire fly and helpfulRooms were quiet and cosy and romantic
A lovely place for a UK getaway

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

A tale of two experiences. Downstairs, great setting and conversion. Conservatory, bar, 2 restaurants. Nice boutique/gastropub decor. Mid-afternoon tea, bar and coffee all excellent. Did not eat in restaurant as booked elsewhere but food looked excellent.

Now upstairs. Booked a 'Georgian' room. Pictures looked great but the reality was something else. First room offered was small in the extreme, a single with a double bed in it. Great covers, soft mattress and lots of pillows do not make a 'boutique room' make. Also overlooked kitchen extraction vents and smelled strongly of the fish restaurant special - smoked haddock ? Next offer was better (just) but still small and so impractical. No mirrors in bedroom, no sockets close to anything, a shower that you could not get under as it was over the seat in a corner bath. The bed did not fit in the alcove so was a foot away from the wall so pillows disappeared all night!

I'm not sure what the terrace or garden rooms are like but be careful what you choose and check the room out. Overall did not meet online expectations that were set....

Room Tip: Watch out for Georgian rooms and check out when you arrive. Avoid Rm 35 and Rm 31 not much better.Ca...
Gosport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The second night of our honeymoon was spent at Stanwell House. The hotel itself was well maintained, very clean and beautifully decorated The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Excellent food and service in the restaurant for our evening meal and breakfast was also excellent with a wide choice of dishes available.

The price was very reasonable and we would recommend the hotel and look forward to going back again for a second visit! The location is ideal as a base to explore the new forest and surrounding area.

Thankyou for making us feel welcome and ensuring our visit was a lovely one

uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Having spent the past 30 years travelling the world and staying at hundreds of hotels of various standards, I have been very reluctant to stay in any British hotel as they are generally sub standard, over priced, poorly run and serviced by the miserable and belligerent.
However, my family dragged me, and our dog, off for a few days holiday in Lymington and booked us into Stanwell House.
I have to say that this hotel proved to be the exception and it was a real treat to stay there and with a few provisos, I agree with the other positive comments which have already been made. This hotel is well worth a visit for a few days. With the exception of one of the breakfast staff, the rest of the staff were first class and nothing was too much trouble for them. The niggling little things which need noting are the fact that thew car park is on the other side of a busy road and parking is an issue, particularly if, like me, you don't want to be bothered with parking meters etc. I just want park the car and forget it. The other is that although there are three restaurants, the menus are small and it only takes a few days to exhaust them. Having said that there are some other good restaurants nearby.
So, all in all, very good and I would go back, which for me is quite a statement! And so will my dog who was also made to feel welcome, with dog biscuits at turn down and her own blanket.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are good if you have a dog with you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gorssel, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel in the High Street of Lymington and it did tick all boxes but one: the parking of our car. The car park at the other side of the street was quite small and seems not to be an exclusive car park for Stanwell House. The hotel has a delightful lounge and restaurant. Room, beds and breakfast were great. Free WIFI in the lounge. Rooms at the groundfloor facing the outside terrace can be noisy in the evening.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Whilst most of the reviews here are very positive, our recent experience left us with mixed feelings about Stanwell House. My main issues were with the restaurant and our room.

First the restaurant. I was called on two occasions prior to our arrival, one week before and one day before, strangely not to confirm our room reservation but to see if I wanted to book into the restaurant for dinner. I was advised that tables get booked up very quickly so if I wanted to dine on one or both evenings I should do so in advance. The first occasion I declined. During the second call I agreed and stated I would prefer a table after 8pm. I was then told that the restaurant was fully booked from 7.30pm and that the only available slot was 7pm, which I accepted. Fast forward to our early dinner and we were the only diners in the restaurant. By 8.45 the restaurant was only half full. Why was I told that they were fully booked?After placing our order, even though we were the only ones seated, we still ended up waiting over half an hour for our meal enduring the Michael Bublé CD twice over. Staff even admitted that they were very quiet that evening.

Onto the food. Three menus were presented: seafood, bistro and tapas. We had one fillet steak which was perfectly fine but a selection of tapas were nothing to shout about, particularly when priced at £4.50 each. Overall prices are quite high and on a par with fine dining in London and whilst I applaud the wide range of dishes, not everyone wants to spend £70 on an informal Sunday night dinner. The food offer is an awkward and confusing mix of fine dining dishes, brasserie/bistro classics and light bites. Why not have a simple set dinner menu to bring in more people??

We reserved a Georgian room which is located in the oldest part of the building. Our room is not shown on the website and upon entering the room, we knew why we managed to get it at such a good rate. It was more like a good B&B room than a boutique hotel. You get what you pay for so I won't say any more about the room. Although I didn't take any pictures, you can see the varying quality in other reviewers photos.

Breakfast was good although there were a couple of errors with the full english request and my soft boiled eggs and soldiers were perhaps a tad fussy. Was the 'Jenga stack' of toast and the green leafy garnish necessary?? Oh and yet again, more Michael Bublé.

The above is purely based on our experience and maybe we were unlucky with the room allocation and dining experience. Maybe a return visit might bring it on a par with the other comments on here. Staff are welcoming and friendly, although special mention goes to Jonna, who served us during dinner and breakfast service, who always smiled and was totally charming throughout.

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stanwell House delightful-(no lift) but outside rooms. A great sea food restuarant well worth a visit. Staff helpful and polite- a nice arangery for early evening drinks -or coffee in the day.
Downside wasw parking -it was difficult they have a small carpark -but we had to park on street at night after 6pm and move it by 10am. But yes I would return its so central for shope harbour and othere restuarants.

Room Tip: maybe ground or 1st floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Stanwell House Hotel? Share your experiences!