“Good food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
UK
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Very good quality food and wine. Pork belly was exceptional as was sticky toffee pudding. Plaice was somewhat hard work as needed boning but was forewarned of this. Service slightly slow but courteous and kind. Relaxed atmosphere.

Visited April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Good food but service could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Went to this restaurant in Lymington as a treat for my mother celebrating her 96th birthday. The lunch menu was very reasonable price wise with two courses at around £15 per head. The starters and mains were all enjoyed by us and the food, although not plate filling were very tasty. The only downside was that we asked the waiter three times for tartare sauce to go with my mothers fish course and we were somewhat annoyed that it never appeared. I think that three requests is ample. Would I go back? Yes as the rest of the visit was enjoyed by myself and my guests.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic lunch and day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Ate a lovely 3 course meal in stanwells with the company of our dog. The staff were very pleasant, not attitudinal and welcomed our labrador into the hotel. Thankyou.
We will come again soon!

Visited February 2013
Lymington, England, United Kingdom
“Exceptional Food with a First Class Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We felt it was necessary to share our Stanwells Bistro and Stanwells 'overall' experience as it is an anniversary of one of our first visits (tomorrow!)

Prior to moving to Lymington we wanted to find somewhere special to stay - somewhere with ambiance, somewhere with a welcoming approach, somewhere where customer service was of importance and more!

When we also discovered that they were passionate about food too ,it was overwhelming - right up our street! The bistro is charming with stylish dishes served with by knowledgeable staff with a relaxing approach. Breakfasts were (are) amazing - proudly promoted with much local produce on the menu.

The seafood restaurant is naughty - it tempts to want to try everything! The menu seriously spoils you - enjoy the pleasure to sample much of the local catch including local lobster (when in season!) and delicious seafood specialties (too much to choose from). Even if you are not a seafood fan there are other gorgeous gourmets to choose from!

We believe that you are totally looked after and made to feel special.

Since our travels and house hunting we have now moved to Lymington and subsequently still rave and encourage friends and family to stay there when we are too overflowing!

We are confident that EVERYTHING will be handled with absolute style and charm. Plus they are passionate about what they do so if you ever have suggestions they welcome your comments. Enjoy the Stanwells experience - we did and we hope you do too!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Tasteless, bland food with sandy seafood”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I went with a group on a Saturday lunchtime, and the restaurant was fairly busy. The place is nice inside, although decorated almost exclusively from ikea.

We went for food off the light lunch menu, and I had a mussel and clam chowder. I don't know what the chef thinks a chowder should be, but cubes of veg scattered over mussels and clams in a tiny amount of sauce served on a plate was not what I was expecting. This was also supposed to be served with foccacia, which just seemed like plain old bread to me.

The first mussel I ate tasted like the beach and I ended up gritting my teeth with sand in my mouth. Given that this place also has a seafood restaurant yet they fail to properly wash their shellfish just seems very incompetent to me. Having sent that plate back, the second dish arrived as the rest of the table finished, this time free of sand. However it was still bland and tasteless and still not chowder.

On the rest of the table, others complained of underseasoned beef shin and a plain and tasteless artichoke and parma ham salad. However there were some positives: a generous caesar salad and well presented vegetable tian.

The service in the place really lacked a bit of edge.

Overall very disappointing and I won't be returning again.

• Visited March 2013