“Terrible!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Milton Keynes East - M1

You added Days Inn Milton Keynes East - M1 to your Saves list
Days Inn Milton Keynes East - M1
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   M1 Northbound, Junction 14 - 15, Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes MK16 8DS, England   |
Hotel deals
Hotel deals
Special Price
Book Early and Save 15%!
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Newport Pagnell
Yorkshire
“Terrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I recently stayed for 3 nights with my husband and two other couples and I am still trying to get over my ordeal. After checking into our room we found large stains on the carpet, a bedside light with no cover and bare wires showing, and worse of all, a toilet that did not flush and refill properly. We complained to reception who eventually offered to move us to another room, but upon examination, the toilet did not work properly in that one either. We were promised that someone would fix it the following morning. This did not happen and upon our return the following evening and subsequent complaint, we were moved to yet another room which did at last have a working toilet.
We had breakfast on the first morning which was very poor. There was hardly any choice. A few boxes of cereal, dry white bread and apples, and no glasses for the fruit juice. Consequently we decided not to have breakfast there again, but upon returning home, we found that we had been charged for all three days' breakfast, despite assurances by the receptionist that we had only been charged for one day. We have e-mailed and telephoned trying to get a refund but the staff, as always, are at best unhelpful and at worst vey rude. So far we have had no luck.
I know this is a budget hotel, and did not expect 4 stars, but some things, like cleanliness and common courtesy do not cost a lot to provide. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy and will never stay in a Days Inn again!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights to attend me and my boyfriend's graduation. We took a double room and each set of parents had a double room as well.
We didn't pay much for the rooms, for which reason I expected limited comfort, instead of that the place was falling to pieces.
We arrived and had to shout for attention as there was no one in Reception. When a staff member showed up then they couldn't find our booking.
The rooms were ok-ish at first sight:clean bed, clean shower.
deeper look showed damp stains in the ceiling, burns of cigarettes on the pvc of the window stained carpets and paint falling of every wall.

Breakfast was unacceptable. When we got there there was no yogurt, 2 cubes of kiwi that must have belonged to a fruit salad and the one lonely croissant. We played rock paper scissors for the croissant. My boyfriend found a box of cereals and we made do with that. Honestly not worth paying for breakfast there, as you could find more and better at the service station where the hotel is.
As for my parents and parents-in-law, one room had the handle of the door broken and the other didn't have a working toilet. We contacted the Reception about this and nothing was done. On the 3rd day my boyfriend's parents got moved to am executive room which only difference with a normal one was a mini fridge. To spice up the stay on the last night we had 2 fire alarms going off at 2am and 4am. Next day in Reception no one knew anything about it and no one apologized, it's not like I rushed out of bed twice in the middle of the night or anything.
And as all that starts bad usually ends up worse, they charged both parents' rooms for very odd amounts meant to be breakfast but to the day they're unable to explain the formula.
As we only had breakfast one day now I'm in the process of claiming a refund. So far we've called 4 times and emailed like 6 times and we always get told that the person that really really knows how to fix it is not in today but tomorrow... again.

In general, cheap but broken, unhelpful staff and very unreliable given that they charged our cards without authorisation and without letting us know.

• Stayed June 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Not being the usual sort to leave online, I decided to make an exception to this based on the bad experience I had here.

Whilst I am the first person to accept that one cannot expect the same amenities from a cheap hotel as a more expensive one, I personally feel that there is a minimum level of quality to be expected from any hotel or business in general. For me, this fell well below with problem after problem and little to no resolution.

The rooms are tired with stains on the walls and floor, paint peeling away in places, chairs that should have been thrown out in the late 90s and plug sockets that aren't fully secured to the wall. The cleanest part of the wall is where, it appears, the upstairs room leaked with clean outlines of droplets coming from the ceiling. In all fairness the bed is clean and the shower clean and decent, but the guests I stayed with suffered a failing toilet that would easily take an hour to fill the cistern. Despite being told it would be solved the 'morning after' took 2 further complains (and 2 checks of other rooms) to find a working toilet. In my own room, this would still take 15 minutes at least. One of the door handle covers fell off and wasn't fixed even after reporting.

The breakfast is poorly stocked and, even going for the continental option the bread was old, there were no yoghurts, croissants or glasses for juice. There was occasionally an attendant there, but this was still not taken care of. My best advice to anyone in the situation would be to head to the nearby service station for breakfast.

To get access to the car park you have to press a buzzer and the staff answer to let you in. Be prepared to wait a few minutes and then shout (no staff present or a bell) several times when you get inside the entrance to be served.

On the last night the fire alarm went off twice for a short period in the early hours and woke everyone in the hotel up. When asked, no apologies or reason why this happened.

Finally, after the breakfast fiasco, we decided not to eat breakfast again in the hotel but were still charged for about 6 breakfasts after departure.

Personally, I feel these issues shouldn't present themselves in even the cheapest of hotels. As such, for me, I wouldn't recommend the place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

First time I have stayed in a Days Inn and I must say my expectations were not high considering it is a 2* rated accommodation. I was very surprised at the standard of the accommodation, it was much higher than I expected. I stayed with my children aged 9,1 and 7 months in order to take them to Gulivers Land. The hotel is about a 10 minute drive to Gulivers, has field at the back of the hotel for the kids to play on however there is a service station for the M1 at the front of the hotel. Amazingly the motorway didn't interrupt mine or my children's sleep, especially the 7 month old who was teething. The rooms are clean however the "family" room was smaller than what I expected. It stated on line that the "family" room accommodates 2 adults and 2 children I would say for sanity's sake 2 adults and 1 child. My sister stayed in a standard room and having seen it, I can confirm the family room is nothing more than a standard room with a single bed squeezed in. For £30.00 per night during half term week, to be fair I cant complain. Breakfast is the usual cheap as can be hotel food, edible but little choice. I would stay again but as a second choice if it were my partner and the kids staying also due to the tight space in the room.

Room Tip: Family rooms more suited to 2 adults and 1 child
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have stayed here several times now as a lone female. All the staff are extremely pleasant and very helpful. Rooms are clean and have all one needs for comfort and to work. Being located on the motorway services is very convenient and in the local vicinity there are some very nice pubs if you fancy eating elsewhere. Convenient for all local amenities.

Room Tip: Executive rooms include more facilities e.g. a fridge which some people may feel worth the extra £10...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Nice Hotel, Great Value, Would certainly stay again. Room nice and big and well equipped, has everything you need. Nice Clean & Modern. Restaurant very basic but has decent bar area. Located in service station so plenty of things nearby should you need anything.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Margate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I called this 'saving grace' because a poor experience was turned around by good management... here's what happened.

I had booked a two night stay at a goof rate through Booking.com for a double room. I asked for a 'disabled' room if possible but they were booked up. So I got a bog standard double room.

Arriving wasn't straight forward... there is a barrier from the M1 service area requiring either a code or the reception staff to press a button to lift the bar. We had a code on the booking form (that was nothing to do with the barrier) but we tried it... I kept using the 'air phone' asking for attention but no one responded. After five or six minutes a car drew up next to me and someone jumped out... he tried a code in the barrier to no avail. He spoke to us saying... we'll give them a shout... and his mate jumped out and ran across the lawns to the hotel. Meanwhile the chap raised his eyebrows skyward and told us that he wanted to get in for a shower as there had been a problem with the boiler and there was no hot water!

His mate returned and the barrier rose. When we got to reception we were told that something must have been wrong with the buzzer. We could see a monitor behind reception showing the barrier and, during the course of booking us in we pointed out the car also now waiting. The receptionist said she'd see to them 'in a minute' and carried on taking our payment and giving us a room key.

We went to our room that was surprising quiet (given the proximity to the motorway) and seemed OK... decent sized desk... bath with shower over, TV etc. Why, however, do they only ever provide ONE chair in a double room? There was the usual inconvenience of insufficient electric sockets so you can't make a cup of tea, charge your phone and plug in your laptop at the same time.

I looked out at the close cropped lawns at the back of the hotel... and noticed lots off peeled veneer that had fallen from the building's cladding and, as the building is T shaped could see clearly great chunks missing from some parts of the building. More importantly I noticed lots and lots of cigarette butts and a couple of drink cans resting in the curtilage... not a great impression... managers please note and get someone to pick up this unsightly litter.

Moreover, the room was shabby looking... a lick of paint had clearly been put over old wallpaper and where paper had been ripped off it had not been re-lined so you could see the outline of the ripped paper underneath.

Maggie took a shower and reported luke warm water... so I decided to wait until the morning. Not long after a note was pushed under our door appologising for the lack of hot water.

When we settled down for the night I found it very hard to sleep. The bed was not particularly spacious (these days I expect either a king-sized bed or twins, not a standard double) and a spring had gone on my side making the bed slope a bit and also making a noise like a bird call every time I moved.

I had a pretty sleepless night and arose around 7.00am and went to take what turned out to be a barely tolerable shower that never even approached warm. Maggie rose much later and took a shower to find that the water was now well warmed up!

By the time we went to breakfast most people had had theirs. The usual banmaries had rubber fried eggs, coagulating baked beans, one small strip of bacon. We asked for more bacon and when it arrived so did nicer beans. I made some toast but then had to ask for a side plate... the staff were pleasant but it felt like we had very nearly missed the boat and that they were beginning to close up.

I decided to forfeit the second night's fee as it was past the stated refund deadline and go elsewhere. I told the desk as we booked out that I was uncomfortable and upset by the lack of hot water. I was told it had been fixed the night before... rather silly as someone else on the staff had already told me that maintenance had been in again seeing to it that morning. I also pointed out the lack of response raising the barrier to be told "well, we were very busy..." I pointed out that there were two people there when we booked in and the person not taking our booking could have responded to the waiting car!

Having said all this I was very pleasantly surprised they not only let us off a charge for breakfast because of the lack of hot water - they also refunded the second night's charge - very decent in the circumstances.

There is plenty of competition out there and the location is against the hotel so they need to offer basic accommodation at a low price to find their niche... but basic should not mean low standards or poor service.

But well done for the saving grace of the compensatory breakfast and the refund when I booked out early!

Room Tip: Check on whether all facilities are working before booking - otherwise if you want a basic, clean bu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Milton Keynes East - M1? Share your experiences!