“somewhere to go” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 16 Attractions in Oakham
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Zoos & Aquariums
More attraction details
Owner description: Collection of birds of prey located in 42 acres ancient woodland
Grimsby, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
“somewhere to go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

we visited this place on a wet day, It cost £5 each to enter, and at first the place looked a bit run down, but the guy said they would like to keep the birds in a natural enviroment, but tethered to a post all day. did not enthrall me to think that these birds were happy. I also hear on the grapevine, that he keeps some big cats too, but not on show, only to the 'friends' , I think in general the place could do with a tidy up.!!

kings lynn norfolk
“Amazing place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Well when I read Trip advisor I was concerned that my birthday treat here was not going to go well. However I must say when we arrived Chris was talking about the birds and he is a very knowledgeable man who is passionate about his birds and their habitat, he explains everything about the birds/how to handle them etc. what a treat it is to walk through the wood with a magnificent bird on your hand, there were 2 young boys a gentleman and myself walking with the owls and we all thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The people who worked there ( some were voluntary) were very friendly and knowledgeable. We will be going again to see the dogs and cats when they have an open day as well as the owls. The birds are well looked after and they adore their keepers. I would certainly recommend it to my friends its really worth the visit.

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great Day Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had a great day out here. Was great to spend time with someone who is really passionate about birds!

Chris has a great, dry sense of humour and made sure we all had a great time!

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Sooooo disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I were really looking forward to this trip. We went on the Monday and told to come back the next day as they were doing maintenance. We explained it was a trip we had planned on behalf of my husbands birthday. Chris the owner said you will get a treat !! We arrived at 10am the following day as told and were met by a cheery young man who took our money from us and told us to wander round. There were no other visitors there apart from us but at no time did any of the staff approach us or provide us with information. Most of the birds were tethered on a rope/lead no more than a metre in length. I gather thats how they stay for the day/night. It was so sad to see no interaction with them or the visitors.The cages look decrepit, unkept and in need of a good clean. Im not denying the owners care for the birds but this looks to be at the detriment of the birds themselves. I would suggest the authorities need to take a look at this place and rehome these creatures.

Visited October 2013
“Awful place ... it's title is way too grand!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Thought this would be an interesting and fun day trip. Wrong! How this place can represent itself the way it does on the internet is beyond me. On arrival in the car park we noticed pens holding husky dogs. More forlorn dogs I haven't seen ... and their surroundings horrid. A youngster appeared and informed us about the cost to get in, but when asked for information was only really able to direct us by pointing to a path into the woods.
We saw mainly owls and a couple of vultures and a few other birds of prey. None looked particularly thrilled with their lot ... well, would you like being tethered all day? Some birds appeared seriously distressed and some notnin great condition.
Listening to the owner talk about the birds he seems passionate about them but lacks any social or presenting skills. He comes across as patronising and rude.
There are no facilities to speak of ... oh, except for one vile portaloo in the car park.
I cannot recommend this place at all and would sincerely hope that it is being monitored by appropriate authorities.