“Beautiful retreat in the heart of Rutland” 5 of 5 stars

The Tithe Barn
and 1 more site!
You added The Tithe Barn to your Saves list
The Tithe Barn
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Clatterpot Lane | Cottesmore, Oakham LE15 7DW, England   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Oakham B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Beautiful retreat in the heart of Rutland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We have stayed here twice now in the past year, and it is a perfect midway break travelling from the north of the UK to visit relatives in the south.  Each time we had a really warm greeting and we have been really pleased with the lovely rooms we had – very clean with nice little touches. The first time we stayed in a non en-suite room that was fine, but this time we paid the extra £5 for an en-suite room and it was well worth the extra pennies to have a bit more space and an en-suite shower. We always have a fantastic nights sleep here and really look forward to our visits. Staff were really helpful when we booked and when we arrived, and served us enormous breakfasts which are cooked to order. It's a short walk to the local pub which is quaint and friendly.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Johnrutland, Owner at The Tithe Barn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for such positive feedback. We do have a lot of guests who find we are in a really convenient location (a few miles from the A1) when they are travelling on long journeys up or down the country. We pride ourselves on our home cooked breakfasts, all sourced locally. It was a pleasure to look after you. Please do come back and see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
southend on sea essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Cobwebs and dust galore in the room. Dust on the light fittings, headboard, talculm powder on bin in the en-suite. Room needed painting. This is the room with the conservatory
One moan of mine is
We had to walk all through the carpark which was covered in snow and ice, around the front of the building to get to the breakfast room. There was no connecting door as a short cut! Not very good for disabled or elderly people in the bad weather we are experiencing on the whole
Breakfast , they had run out of eggs !!!!!!
On the plus side ? The power shower was brilliant

• Stayed January 2013
Johnrutland, Owner at The Tithe Barn, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
We are pleased to hear that you liked the shower in your room - we regularly receive very positive comments about these showers, and they are always appreciated by our guests.

My apologies for the poor standards of cleanliness in your bedroom; we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to our team.

We have never run out of eggs for breakfasts!!! All our free range eggs are supplied from the local farm (who also supply Marks and Spencer with their free range eggs), and I am sorry but it is just not true to write this in a review. Our guests regularly praise our generous breakfasts, and there is no way we would ever run out of eggs.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was initially running late as I had informed the tithe I would be there by 2000hrs, I phoned ahead at 1800hrs to advise I would be there about 2100hrs, this was all fine and was told I would be greeted outside as I was to stay in one of the annexes. Upon arrival at 2100hrs I was greeted by what I thought was an intoxicated gentlemen, who started by saying hello Mr.... I informed him I was not that person to which he used an expletive and continued to say he had given my room away. After an exhausting day I simply wanted to get a shower and get some sleep so I persevered and said I don't really mind as long as its still a double bed. I was shown my room and it was average at best, he told me some 'pongo' (service personnel) was in my original planned room. Out of curiousity I asked him what the difference was to which the reply was, 'it's more luxurious' not one to normally kick up a fuss I simply accepted the room and continued about my evening. I was shocked to see that the double bed was in fact two single beds pushed together, one with a subsiding mattress which caused me to fall through the gap during the night. I had a horrendous sleep and spent the remainder of the evening sleeping on the floor for comfort! At breakfast I informed the gentlemen that in fact the room is not acceptable and explained my issues. He sorted it out there and then and put me in an even smaller room with no en suite. I left for my working day, when I returned i began to start settling down, when to my surprise I can no longer access wifi (despite being advertised as wifi through out) this was a main necessity of mine as I was required to complete business work. Further to this, the television was not only so small you had to sit in front of it but also just turned off every 2 minutes! I went to find the gentlemen once more and advised him I would be checking out 3 days earlier than planned. Not a single question was asked nor was there any attempt at rectification. As he was going to get my bill I was both shocked and apalled that I was charged the full rate for the supposed luxurious room I was meant to have. I questioned this and was simply told, 'that's the price for en suite' I informed him the second room were below standards expected, he gave me a reply with reference to the wifi, 'you wont get it because of the thick walls' (why is it advertised on your site then?!) if i knew that information i would not of placed the booking in the first instance. There was no form of apology just plain ignorance and continued to process the transaction. I was extremely upset with my stay as I was actually looking forward to it! I had to travel a further 3.9 miles to another well known residence which I highly recommend! I my self am in the forces, so when your told about 'pongos' already in your room, it is some what offensive. All my costs will indeed be recovered by the Armed Forces and we are asked for reviews on the place we stayed, to which this will be forwarded. I would certainly not recommend this place to any further service personnel visiting Cottesmore camp.

• Stayed January 2013
Johnrutland, Owner at The Tithe Barn, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
We are really sorry that you were dissatisfied with your rooms, we take our customers comfort very seriously, and try hard to meet everyone’s requirements.

The first bed you slept in is a super-king size zip and link bed, as used in all top hotels, and the description of it having a subsiding mattress is simply not true. We have checked this bed and mattress after your negative comment, and it is in perfectly good condition, and was inspected (and fully approved) before Christmas in our annual inspection by Quality in Tourism. We have also checked with guests subsequently using the same room, who have also confirmed there is no problem of any kind with this bed.

We provide free wifi for our guests to use in our house. When you booked you were advised that it may not reach the furthest bedroom, but it is easily accessed in all the public areas. We are sorry you had a problem with this in the room you asked to be moved to. We are in the process of obtaining wifi signal boosters to handle all future demands.

We had never heard the term ‘pongos’ before and certainly do not use this in reference to any guests. As we could at any time have service personnel stay with us it is definitely not the way we talk of guests.

After working through two rooms you really appear beyond ‘rectification’. It is quite clear that you would not be happy with anything we provided.

If anyone looks at the other reviews on this site, as well as others on the web, it is very easy to see that this review does not match what others have to say about The Tithe Barn, and the review is intended to smear our facilities. We suggest that other reviews give a far more balanced view of our accommodation and, most importantly, an accurate standard of our customer’s satisfaction.
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in December 2012. We had the quad room (double plus 2 singles). Everything about the stay was excellent - the friendly welcome, smart and clean room, pristine bedding and towels, quiet and restful ambience and of course the great breakfast.

From the moment we arrived until the second we left, nothing was too much trouble. After the first night, my wife found the bed a little hard for her taste (we found out the room had been refurbished within the last year and the mattress was new), The B&B were happy to provide an extra quilt and pillows to help out. No complaint with the bed - just a matter of preference. Nonetheless, the matter was dealt with quickly and to our satisfaction.

The fittings and equipment in the room were first class with Freeview TV. Tray had tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits. Plenty of storage space, surfaces and light. Bathroom was compact but well appointed. Shower had plenty of hot water each day.

Nothing but praise for The Tithe Barn and will be staying here agin next time we visit family in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Otley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night in Nov 2012. Beautiful building full of olde world charm: oak panelling, beams etc.
The bed was very comfortable and the room quiet despite looking over the main road through the village. Tea, coffee, hot choc, fruit teas provided in room plus sherry in a cut glass decanter which was an original touch. Just the right amount of space for 2 of us with en suite shower room. Owner very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast just perfect served by a very polite young man, which is rare in this day and age- thank you.
Only 2 minor niggles: the car park is quite small so double parking is necessary at times and also very dark at night with a few dodgy potholes and puddles to avoid; also the front door of the property seems to stick on opening and closing and makes a very loud bang which is quite un-nerving when the room is directly above!
All in all, a very pleasant stay; the village is fabulous with thatched cottages and a great fish and chip cafe (open til 9pm!!!) which was also staffed by polite young men; such a novelty to come across polite young British waiting-on staff.
I would highly recommend the Tithe Barn as a place to stay if vising Oakham/surrounding area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Elgin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in Oct. Great location for the Rutland area. Superb breakfast with plenty choice. Recommend eating at the only Pub in the village for dinner The Sun Inn. The food there was excellent with an early bird price between 6 and 7 pm of £10.50 for 2 cse or &12.50 for 3. Restaurant quality food at pub prices.

• Stayed October 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here just for the night as went to a wedding nearby.

We booked quite late so unfortunately there was only a small room available, however that didn't matter as we were not actually in it very long.

The family which live and run this B&B were very sweet and loved the fact they got their kids involved in helping with the chores : ) - the breakfast was delicious and we even enticed the little pet kitten into our room for a 10 minute play - very cute. I would love to live in this house!

P.s Enjoyed perusing the vast book collection on display ; )

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Tithe Barn? Share your experiences!