“It was OK” 4 of 5 stars

The Mill Race
Walford, Ross-on-Wye, England
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 64 Restaurants in Ross-on-Wye
Description: A relaxed, informal village pub set in the Wye Valley just 3 miles from Ross-on-Wye and 6 miles from Monmouth. Owned and managed by people who are passionate about food, nearly all of our produce is sourced from within 30 miles of Walford, some even comes from our very own farm! Being positioned on the borders of Herefordshire, Gloucestershire and Monmouthshire we are surrounded by wonderful producers. Our regularly changing menus ensure we make the most of local produce with our focus on simple food cooked well.
London
“It was OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I came here having heard good things, I went for Sunday lunch at 2pm so it wasn't that busy.

I opted for skate with black pudding and bacon for starters which was very good

Roast beef for mains, beef was a bit dry but nice and I ate it all, it came with decent veg

Pudding I went for cheese, 3 different types and big wedges, the only compliant was that I got 4 crackers so I had to ask for more

Service was good and food arrived quickly, maybe something todo with it being quiet

Overall good restaurant, good value £18 per person for 3 courses on a Sunday

Monmouth, United Kingdom
“Didn't live up to the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I'm not sure whether it's the individuals I ate with or my own opinion entirely. After high reccommendations a group of us decided to give the Mill Race a go. Two of the group I ate with are a chef and a hotel manager (from different establishments).

The welcoming when we first entered was friendly. Nice ambience but not as busy as I had been told to expect for a Saturday night.
I thought 'this is great, food service shoud be pretty quick'. Unfortunately I was wrong. We were sat by the door so unfortunately were sat in a bit of a draft.We didn't mind waiting 15/20 minutes for starters but the soup was lukewarm at best, don't get me wrong it tasted delicious but was a bit like eating cold custard. After the clearing of the starters we were not asked if we'd like any drinks or asked whether everything had been enjoyable. In fact there didn't appear to be any attempt of conversation.

As a chef, you tend to prepare the main while the starters are being eaten. We waited 35 minutes for our mains to arrive at the table after starters being cleared, luckily we all get on well so there was plenty to keep us occupied!

Again, no one asaked if we wanted any other drinks despite having 3 empties on the table. The mains were nice all round, not too sure about the quirky frying baskets which held the chips. One qualm was the amount of rock salt served on the mushroom (with steak) it was piled on the top.
I must emphasise however that everything else was NICE. The burger didn't appear to be seasoned and was very dense.

When plates were cleared (eventually) we were asked if we'd like to look at the desert menus, we had to wait another 15 minutes while the staff stood talking at the bar. Finally got offered a drink, deserts were nice when they arrived, Sticky toffee pudding portion could have been a bit bigger hahaha! Ordered 1 coffee which took another 10 minutes to arrive (it was only us and about 5 other customers in the building).

When given the bill there was no asking whether we'd enjoyed our evening/food the waitress just went back to continue conversation at the bar. Food is pretty much what you expect to pay for a meal out in todays economic climate with locally sourced food. We left the money with the bill and not one member of staff made the effort to say goodbye.

Elements of 'the customer journey' were very pleasant, others need a polish.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
themillrace, General Manager at The Mill Race, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. I am very disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with your experience.

If at all possible could you contact me on the below email address so that we may discuss this situation further and I may address all of the observations you have raised.

enquiries@millrace.info

Kindest regards

Leon Mace
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Lovely food - but ouch !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I thought that the service and food was very pleasant, though we waited a while between courses.

The ambience of the place was also pleasant.

The ouch part was when we got the bill....

As mentioned, the food and service was good but I am trying to convince myself that it was as good as the money that I paid.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went to the restaurant for a family Sunday lunch. The quality of the food was very good .The roast beef was well cooked and they served a nice selection of seasonal vegetables. The Mill Race has a nice ambience the decor is simple and modern. The only small complaint was that on arrival the room was cold but would still highly recommend this restaurant

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
“Great for food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Always excellent food here.
Good choice of well kept local beers
Food sourced locally whenever possible
Love the wood fired pizzas as well as the specials

Visited February 2013