“A Welcoming return” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Ross-on-Wye
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A Welcoming return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

With the weather as lovely as it has been I couldnt think of anywhere nicer to visit than the Old Court Hotel in Symonds Yat.
I love Symonds Yat and there is just so much to do it keeps everyone occupied.
Its been a few years since I stayed at the Old Court but I was immediately recognised on my arrival at the hotel (A great start to the holiday)
The hotel hasnt changed a bit, Tori & Jono have managed to keep the hotels old charm intact perfectly!!
The sun certainly brought everyone out, the hotel was buzzing, which created a great atmosphere in the beautiful gardens (where I spent most of my weekend)
Although the hotel was busy the standard was a brilliant as ever!
My only complaint is that I go home half a stone heavier due to the amount I eat when staying here. The chefs Thai curry and Lamb shoulder have to be my favourites.
I will definitly not be leaving it quite so long between visiting again next time!

Room Tip: If you love the old world charm - A feature double is a must!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Went to the Old Court on Sunday for lunch. My first impression was the fact I thought it was somewhat grubby however I sat down and gave them the benefit of the doubt as it’s an old building. However when I looked at the leather chair it was obvious it had never been wiped down, the cushion I had to move as it was covered in stains and they were not recent. The window ledge looked as though it had never been wiped over sorry but it was more than grubby filthy springs to mind.

The system of ordering could be improved, you have to order drinks and then food separate. They also want a credit card for details before you have had your food, do not know why this is perhaps they have people walk out.

People take their dogs there; this is a no no when I’m eating food. The food well what can I say really!! I sent mine back, it was a roast chicken dinner and the chicken was dry, the roast potatoes you could of broke your tooth off on them and the gravy just tasted of granules. When the manager was called over and I asked her if it was granules she did admit that they do add granules to it. This is unacceptable at £10.95 just for a main course. She asked me if I wanted the meal changed and I thought well fish and chips you can’t go wrong with that. The fish was dry and well overcooked. But I could not be bothered to complain again. I just will not go there again and also make sure that other people know which is why I am writing this review.

My mother also send her food back and just had a starter of brie instead, this was also overcooked and cold in the middle, a starter £7.70 for Brie, very steep.

Considering the prices I would expect the food to be first class and I would definitely not expect virtual self service you even have to collect your own cutlery.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Victoria S, Owner at The Old Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review relating to your visit here on Sunday. We were expecting you to write a poor review; because from the moment we asked you for a card for you to start at tab at the bar, you were extremely unhappy and complained before any food came out to you. Unfortuneatly we are such a busy little place that we do have to operate a system where you order at the bar. When customers want to start a tab, and not pay at the time of ordering, we do have to ask for a card as we have had several people walk out without paying.
I take on board your comments about the window sills and have already asked our cleaning and maintenance team to repair the sills. They have also removed the cushion covers for washing. In relation to the dogs, we do allow dogs in our conservatory and outside areas as this is a very popular outdoor walking area. They are not allowed in the Dining Room (where you ate) or Bar area.
I am sorry you and your Mother did not enjoy the food. I understand that the 2 gentlemen with you were very happy with the Roast Meals they ordered. I am sorry the chicken was dry and the potatoes hard, I can't understand why and have spoken with my chef. We did serve over 200 meals during the lunchtime period last Sunday so we were working extremely hard to deliver food to many people. Our gravy is enjoyed by thousands every year. It is made using beef bones in a stock pot for 4 days. We do add granules but Lisa(our manager) did not say "gravy" granuales, we use beef stock thickening granuales which is a different product. I understand you were extremely unhappy, but I don't know how your replacement meal could have been so poor. We batter and fry the fish to order, it was done in response to your complaint and rushed out, which makes it hard for it to be dry - it would only be dry if it had been cooked and left on the hot plate. Lisa also infomred me that you finished all the food that was prepared for you on the second meal. And the Brie Wedge which your mother ate had actually been probed (temperature tested) prior to going out and it was 71 C - so I find it difficult to understand how it was cold.
All in all, I think we did not meet your expectations on arrival, you were unhappy to have to order at the bar and give over your card and this then escalated and enhanced your unhappiness. I hope that if you are every in the area you may try us again as we are a business whihc has double digit growth every year for 7 years, so whilst I accept we may have got it wrong for you, we try very hard to deliver a great experience for others and they enjoy it.
South Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have just got back from a long weekend at this hotel and I must say I would highly recommend it. We had a room with a little balcony that overlooked the garden and was above the function room. We were lucky as there were no functions booked for the weekend. So, we had a nice quiet time. The room itself is small but adequate and the en suite bathroom is a little tired looking, i.e. brown stain in sink and very discoloured bath. But, these are trivial points and do not in anyway detract from the enjoyment of the stay. I would, however, be very wary
of staying if a function was planned. We heard the music from the caravan site on Saturday, which is about 100 yards away. Goodness knows what music would sound like if it were below the rooms. Breakfast was very good too. All in all I would certainly like to return some time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are aware of the tired bathrooms in the new wing and have plans in place to invest in them making them into wet rooms in the future. We look forward to welcoming you again.
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Whilst on a day out yesterday we stopped of at Symonds Yat and spotted this hotel which looked very inviting. Had some drinks and sat outside at the front of the building in scortching sun.
Decided to stay for lunch which we ate in the glorious rear garden. We chose cheesy galic toast and rustic bread with oli and balsamic vinegar which were delicious and enough to feed four people as starters! The main courses we chose exceeded our expectation and far to large for us to do them justice.

What impressed us most were the quality of the staff, nothing was to much trouble and every thing done with a beaming smile, a credit to the hotel in this day and age.

Will definately revist when next in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your feedback about how you enjoyed your food, the surroundings and the team. We all work hard here, in a busy and often hot environment to make our guests happy. We hope you return to enjoy the amazing Wye Valley again in the future.
Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

we have been staying at the Old Court with our family for many years , but couldn't get in ! We had to book five rooms at another hotel ( and that's another story! ) but had our Family Meal at the Old Court on the Saturday.

So, it's a lovely sunny weekend and the garden is full and the kitchen is having to cope with a torrent of orders meals outside. I mean lots ! We are eating inside with my very demanding father in law who is ninety and the rest of the family. All our delicious meals were served efficiently and with good grace and humour by the excellent, busy staff. As a family we always like to eat, drink and be merry, I was driving so my wife did most of the "merry" bit.

Father in law had a good grumble because the well thought out and freshly prepared food wasn't rushed out at his usual macdonalds drive thru pace, but it was well worth the moderate wait on an extremely busy night.

Don't hesitate to eat or stay there. Although Jono may look like he could do a few round with Mike Tyson and not worry too much, he has had the slight of hand to create and cook a fantastic menu. The ambiance in the historic dining hall is lovely.

Victoria is a delightful, attentive host and all the staff are vibrant and relaxed even under the heavy fire of a massively busy service

Long may it continue so that I can enjoy my annual sojourn to the Wye Valley !

Merci

Philip Barber

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review on Trip Adviser. So please the "Barbers" enjoyed the Dining Room that Saturday night. We appreciate that you are so laid back and enjoying each others company you understand that busy and fresh food does not mean fast food. We really look forward to welcoming you and your very grown up girls and family back again next year.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch en route to Tintern Abbey. The food was really delicious and generous portions too. The steak and ale pie had a rich and mouthwatering gravy with tender meat. The fish pie was buttery and moreish with juicy chunks of fish. Our group also had paninis, salad and whitebait which was all good. The food was all clearly freshly prepared and the accompanying vegetables were tasty and perfectly prepared- not over boiled!

There is a lovely choice of places to eat too. From the cosy and historic old bar to a snug a conservatory or the peaceful pretty garden. Friendly staff too
This place was recommended by local friends and it really is worth stopping at.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. So pleased you enjoyed everything on the day you visited which was one of the busiest days we have had this year.
Devizes, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Eat here quite a lot but today the service was poor and the wait dire. I appreciate that it was busy and expected to wait but having had starters an hour after we ordered we thought the main meals wouldn't be much longer! How wrong, we waited 50 minutes from the starters to the main and appeared having asked what was wrong. It was good value as my parents have the OAP rate card so get main meals half price! I had lasagne which was as dry as sticks, others had fish and chips which was a decent portion but the fish was well done although very nice. Normally very good, but not sure what happened. Bit late asking us if our food is ok when 3 out of 4 had finished!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Adviser. Obviously if you have visited before you know that your recent experience is not what we normally offer. We were extremely busy that day and I can only say that we obviously were not coping as well as we normally do. I can only apologise and do hope this won't discourage you from coming again and if it is back to our normal standard writing another review!

Been to The Old Court Hotel? Share your experiences!