“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 64 Restaurants in Ross-on-Wye
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: We are located in the beautiful small village of Aston Crews, offering a freshly cooked seasonal menu filled with local ingredients. The Penny has some exceptional views of the Black Mountains and the Malvern hills from the beer garden (with children's play area). We aim to showcase the exceptional local produce and serve local ales and spirits as well as keeping as much of ingredients as local as possible. We also have a large selection of whisky from all over the world.
N.Wales
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Well,we finally got to eat out at the Penny Farthing, we live nearby and have been regularly for drinks, everything was really nice, I had 2 starters rather than a main, Sardines on toast and a terrine, both lovely, my stepson and his girlfriend had gammon and eggs, and chicken with chorizo and brie, both reported as very nice, the staff sorted out a meal for my wife who was arriving after the kitchen closed due to work, we pre-ordered for her and the kitchen staff cooked it late for her so that it was fresh when she arrived at 9-15, she had a scotch egg to start, home made and apparently the best she'd ever tasted! She also had the chicken, which as I said was cooked fresh and not kept warm for her, the young waitress was very attentive without being obtrusive, so overall a very pleasant evening, we will be going again! I find it difficult to understand how anyone could seriously complain about this establishment as we found it very good.

• Visited August 2014

Ross-on-Wye
“Best fish and chips!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I visited the Penny Farthing Inn for a family meal and am please to say that everyone was served quickly, efficiently, while, at the same time, being made to feel very welcome. The beer-battered fish, served with pea puree and chips, was exceptional. They even provided a mini version for my grandaughter. My vegetarian daughter was pleased to be offered a real vegetarian option, rather than the usual quorn! The steaks were perfect and served with real onions. The biggest hit for me was the creme brulee, which was one of the best I've tasted - and I've tasted a few. The rest of the group gave top marks for the chocolate brownie, sticky toffee pudding and Hillbrook's ice cream. The menu is not large, but offers something for everyone, proving that it's better to do a few things well, rather than a lot badly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“The best of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I visited The Penny Farthing Inn with Family this lunchtime. The pub is lovely with gorgeous surroundings. The staff were both welcoming and quick to serve food. As its a lovely day, we were able to sit outside and the views were lovely, even having some lovely little rabbits playing in the field. I was particularly impressed with the barmaid and the chef catering for individual needs with both Gluten free food and an outstanding range of Diet drinks suitable for Diabetics. I have been Diabetic for about 12 years and have never been able to have anything other then coke when I'm out. A 5* meal out. Thank you.

Stroud, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch, warm welcome and beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Met up with family for lunch on a hot summer afternoon. The pub is just a short drive off the A40 Gloucester to Ross on Wye road, but you need to know to look for it! The menu was well thought out and with many tempting dishes. My pulled pork baguette from the specials board was excellent and very filling; other meals looked just as appealing and there were clean plates all round. The home made chips lived up to their promise (larger appetites might have liked a few more!) and my daughter's ploughman's platter looked especially attractive. The homemade puddings were also delicious and we will have to return to try different ones!

We were particularly impressed with the attention to detail. It is the first pub we have ever visited to offer diet lemonade (of two types), which is most welcome to diabetics who don't care for the standard pub offering of diet pepsi or coke. None of us were vegetarian, but the options nevertheless sounded interesting. One of our party has a gluten intolerance and (with prior notice) the chef produced gluten-free ciabatta bread sandwiches and an apparently wonderful gluten-free sticky toffee pudding.

I have it on good authority that the local real ales were also very good!

“Fantastic as always!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Visited the penny farthing on a lovely hot Sunday afternoon. I had visited the pub before just for a drink but decided to take the family for Sunday lunch as the menu looked lovely. The staff were very welcoming and friendly, and we were served very quickly. The atmosphere was lovely, and our food came out quickly and was delicious! The Eton mess was to die for!! Would definitely recommend to anyone and will be returning as soon as I can!!