“Plenty of value at the Penny Farthing” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are located in the beautiful small village of Aston Crews, offering a freshly cooked seasonal menu filled with local ingredients. The Penny has some exceptional views of the Black Mountains and the Malvern hills from the beer garden (with children's play area). We aim to showcase the exceptional local produce and serve local ales and spirits as well as keeping as much of ingredients as local as possible. We also have a large selection of whisky from all over the world.
Ledbury
“Plenty of value at the Penny Farthing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

After a Rotary outing to a local robotic milking farm, Hopes Ash, who do marvellous "Beef in a box" we headed up the road to Aston Crews in the beautiful bucolic countryside for supper at the Penny Farthing. Warmly greeted and comfortably seated in lovely surroundings, we had our drinks served and studied the varied menu. Each of us ordered a different dish, from classic cheeseburger with salad, chips, garnshings was very good value at just under £7.00. to those who were the real beef eaters, ordering sirloin steaks at £12.00, with salads chips/new potatoes and mixed vegetables, another having mixed kebabs, a particularly good choice as the Chef is from Turkey, and one member having the beef lasagne. The food was served quickly and piping hot, and the very friendly waitress brought more condiments, such as vinegar and ketchup - a must for the chunky chips. The generous portions left little room for pudding, although there was a good selection to be had. I would recommend the Penny Farthing as a better than average pub grub venue.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bath UK
“Excellent Sunday lunch.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Went for a family Sunday lunch, my Dad has been before but not the rest of us. They only have a carvery on a Sunday, but it was lovely. There was 3 different types of meat, I had the turkey, and loads of different vegetables. At £5.99 it was a absolute bargain, I could not even manage a pudding as I was so full, and I believe that pudding is the best bit! I would definitely go back, maybe in the week as there was a lot more yummy looking things on their week menu. Great choice Dad!

Visited April 2013
Cornwall, UK
“Hearty, decent pub grub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

There are many things I like about The Penny Farthing. For one thing, it's not a gastro pub. Gastro pubs fill me with horror primarily because they try to be something they aren't and usually fail but still cheerfully charge the earth for mediocre grub. For another thing, it has a classic rural pub interior. There are few honest pubs left, but The Penny Farthing is one of them. The menu is surprisingly long but with a shorter lunchtime menu with smaller portions at cheaper prices, which in these times of austerity is to be welcomed. The waiter said we were free to order from either the lunchtime or evening menus so there was tons of choice. We were a large party - seven in all. I think the bill was about £40 not including drinks, which I think anyone would agree is super value. I had that great classic, breaded mushrooms with garlic mayo and a side salad. Two people had scampi (the eight piece lunchtime portion not the ten piece dinner portion), and other choices included cottage pie, steak and ale pie, and fish and chips. The food was hot and hearty. My daughter had banoffi pie to finish. All in all, this was honest pub grub in decent portions at a very fair price with friendly and accommodating service. Great find.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newent, United Kingdom
“The Penny Farthing, Aston Crews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We went for a weekday supper, the food was really good - I had a very nice mixed kebab which I think is their specialty, the chef being turkish. The staff were very friendly and helpful so we went back a few weeks later. The waiter had even remembered I'd asked for extra mint dressing before and some extra duly arrived, completely unprompted. Highly recommended and good value.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bath, United Kingdom
“Unfriendly and sterile”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

When we arrived the locals glared at us; the barman chose to serve a local before us despite us being first at the bar. There were three real ales on offer, one was definitely 'off' and one of the other two way past its best.

The pub adverts say it serves food but there was no clue as to what was on offer on the tables or on the many notices on the walls.

Based on the unfriendly atmosphere we left. The log fire was good though.

• Visited January 2013