“St. Mihiel Salient guided day tour” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Ross-on-Wye
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Follow in the footsteps of Heroes! with In the footsteps Battlefield Tours. Our top quality service can be tailored to suit your every need. Let our experts guide you around the battlefields telling you the stories of heroes, showing you the places where they fought and giving you an understanding of what the officers and men who fought the battles went through. A tour with us will leave you with memories that will last forever.
New Orleans, Louisiana
“St. Mihiel Salient guided day tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Four descendants of a combatant (two grandsons and two great grandchildren) were driven to, and hiked around, fifteen sites which were relevant to our combatant's participation in the AEF St. Mihiel operations in 1918 and which were put in context by our personable and knowledgeable In the Footsteps guide Jon Haslock. Jon had used our known information about the specific AEF unit to locate probable areas where our combatant would have served and we were able to walk and reflect there. Jon was particularly helpful with background information (geopolitical, military) for a group comprised of varied ages and comprehension about the events and military operations of 1914-18. The extensive dialogue with Jo and Jon before the tour yielded a busy but effective itinerary for our one day on site. We were picked up and dropped off a the closest TGV station and lost little time in transit. The tour was a powerful experience provided by a first class operation.

Visited June 2013

Lilburn, GA
“Great Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

It is always tempting to try and "do it yourself" in many touring circumstances. That is doable in an area like Verdun, but not the Ypres Salient and the Somme and other sites of two of the important battles of The Great War, I recommend not trying. I chose In the Footsteps due to their prompt response to my initial inquiry and the itineraries they offered. Additionally, Jo and, later, our guide were not annoyed at my many questions after our initial exchange of emails Our guide, Iain McHenry, is an expert in those areas, is involved heavily in archaeology there and is a number one good guy. He can and will, if given the time, show you much more than you could ever glean on your own. In addition to the tour, he helped me tremendously with a personal issue I had. In The Footsteps gets my highest recommendation. You cannot go wrong with these nice people.

Visited June 2013
Deep River, Ontario, Canada
“Tour or Canadian Battle sites and cemetery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Ian led my mother and I took on a tour following the route my father, a tank driver, took after landing with the Sherbrooke Fusiliers on D-Day. The details and descriptions of the battle sites were fascinating and Ian's wealth of knowledge and anecdotes really added to the tour . We also visited the grave where my uncle is buried which was a very special part of the trip. The whole experience was great. From the minute I contacted them online to the day the tour ended, every detail was looked after - pick up and drop off at train station; hotel booking. Making the arrangements was easy, emails were answered promptly by Jo (usually within a day) and the effort put into researching my relatives' experiences made the tour very personal. The tour,and the information provided were beyond anything I was expecting. A great tour!

Visited May 2013
St. Kitts
“Tour of the Battlefield of Waterloo in Belgium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Arranging a tour from overseas was made easy by the prompt and informative e-mails through Jo and we spent a wonderful day going round the different sites associated with the Battle of Waterloo. John, our historian guide, was full of information including details and anecdotes about the conditions of the the area at the time from both the Allies and the French perspectives. Details in the fields and in the museums along with taking photos of us and recommending a wonderful restaurant for lunch were much appreciated. We wanted a lot more than a brief visit and we really got that by having a personal guide.Even though we had a rainy day, it made us appreciate the conditions at the time of the battle. It was well worth the money and we would certainly arrange another tour through 'In the Footsteps'

Visited May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Joan. Pozieres and the Somme.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

April 2013, Ian Gumm took me on a thoroughly researched and informative tour of the battlefields where my Great Uncle had died. Every question I had ready for him, he was able to answer. He took me to the grave and showed great sensitivity in withdrawing and allowing privacy at that moment. We followed as near as possible in the footsteps my Great Uncle had travelled, saw where he would have been billeted, where the Casualty Clearing Station was, and the positions the Battalion would have been in during the attacks. Ian is completely trustworthy, and his wife Jo, provided me with helpful information and even booked a hotel for me. Well and truly above what I expected. Ian presented me with a detailed report of my Great Uncle's history, and I also gained more information there, than I already had. This is the best tour of the battlefields.

Visited April 2013