“As usual - just perfect!” 5 of 5 stars

Wilton Court Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wilton Lane, Ross-on-Wye HR9 6AQ , England   |
Ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Ross-on-Wye
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“As usual - just perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just had a weekend break at Wilton Court - our fifth stay. Jason warmly greeted us, told us we could eat when we like and the new breakfast times while sprinting up the stairs with our luggage!
As usual nothing was too much trouble and the atmosphere tranquil, our room was a delight - a newly decorated garden view with comfy polka dot bucket chairs. Very comfortable beds and lovely pillows. The food & wine great and breakfast is the best breakfast we have ever had in a hotel. The location is the best is the area and they have a lovely garden or you can sit at the side of the river opposite. Can't recommend it highly enough.
One small niggle - I do love bath sheets and the bath towels are very small!

Room Tip: All the rooms we have had have been good but river view are of course the best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

225 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have just spent 2 nights at this hotel , everything was good, the food superb , good and friendly service. Our dog was with us and was allowed in all areas except the dining room of course, but we had a lovely table just outside the dining room where we had just the same service. I am looking forward to a return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was about our 10th visit to Wilton Court and once again, the experience was superb. This time we went with some family and they have already booked there next visit. Helen and Roger were on top form and there staff were friendly and effecient as usual. We had a fantastic meal in the newly decorated and carpeted Wilton Restaurant, followed by coffee in the lounge. Nothing was too much trouble and we consider Wilton Court to be very much home from home. Well done Wilton Court!

Room Tip: You should eat in the restaurant. The food is super!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Everything about this hotel was lovely, the room was enormous and the bed was so comfortable I did not want to get out but the breakfast was too good to miss. Everyone was so friendly from the owners to the chef who cam out to tell us how to make te truffles mmmmmmm delicious. The views were stunning. There were plenty of walks to do around the area, and pub opposite was so handy. Thank you to everyone

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Shefford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked a long weekend at Wilton Court for my wife's birthday as, from the images on the website, the views across the River Wye looked amazing. A few days after booking, I had to change the dates of the weekend, however as this was over two months before we were leaving, everything was in order and Helen at Wilton Court happily reconfirmed our River View room.
On the morning we were due to leave, I received a call from Helen saying that she had made a mistake and would be unable to accomodate us for the weekend!!!
She did make arrangements for us to stay in another hotel in Ross, which was somewhat inferior. Helen did assure me however that the room booked was the best one they had, but upon our arrival, we were told that this room had been booked by someone else 'months ago' so there was no way that this room could have been booked for us that morning.
We made the best of a thoroughly unsatisfactory situation and it was a shame that a birthday weekend spent in such a beautiful area was spoiled by one person's incompetence.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RogerWynn, Co owner Helen Wynn at Wilton Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I am absolutely devastated that you have written this review. On realising my error amending your reservation dates incorrectly I rang you before 9 o’clock in the morning so that I could let you know before you arrived that I had made an error and had found alternative arrangements for you at a well reputed local hotel. You advised me that you would ring me back and let me know if you would accept the other hotel. You did ring back accepting the offer requesting room 3 as you had viewed their web site. I then rang the hotel to double check the allocation was room 3 which was confirmed, I then rang you back to reconfirm. I would have never of confirmed this to you if I had not been told that this room was not available. I originally offered you to dine with us complimentary as an apology but as you did not know your plans re dining I advised that I would pay for the first nights’ accommodation and breakfast at the cost of £165.00 at the other hotel to which you thanked me as you would be able to dine at your convenience . They had agreed to honour our rate £165.00 even though their accommodation was more expensive. At 4.00pm I received an e mail from you that you had arrived and had not been allocated room 3 which understandably you were most unhappy. I sent you an e mail back sincerely apologising . I really think that I did all I could to try and make amends for the error, . I have been running the Wilton Court for 12 years with my husband and this kind of incident has never occurred, as I mentioned to you we aim to meet guest expectations and not to disappoint them and would never have made this kind of error intentionally . I am deeply mortified and very distressed and not really sure if this review should even be accepted by Trip Advisor as you did not actually stay.
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We found this small hotel on TripAdvisor and were not disappointed. We booked a weekend package to include dinner and had a delightful room (Number 1) with a four poster and a river view. The restaurant was very good - local food and a good, well-priced, wine-list.

But what makes this charming hotel really stand out was the service. Friendly throughout our stay, they seemed to really care that we got the most out of our visit. On our first night, at dinner, we were asked what our plans were for the next day. When we said that we were planning to leave very early (long before the restaurant opened for breakfast), the staff took it upon themselves to organise a tray (which they then left in a fridge) and then trotted up to our room to tell us how to find our breakfast. I can't somehow imagine getting that attention in a chain hotel. Just one instance of several that weekend. Delightful.

Room Tip: It's a quiet location - the river views have got to be worth selecting.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a very nice, old hotel in a pleasant location by the river. It's in it's own grounds and so is quiet and peaceful, but there is one pub in Wilton just a minute or so's walk away which is also by the river and Ross-on-Wye is about ten minutes walk.

We had the family room up in the attic which was a good size and with plenty of olde worlde charm. The bed was massive and would easily have slept three! The grounds are pleasant too and consist of a decent garden and patio area. There are two restaurants, one very much like an old hotel drawing room, and one more contemporary with a modern conservatory. You can also eat out on the patio in suitable weather.

Staff were all friendly and helpful and came up with plenty of suggestions on local attractions. We had the Dinner, Bed & Breakfast option and this was good value at £40 (£20 per person) over the cost of B&B bearing in mind that you could choose three courses from the a la carte menu and some of the main courses along cost more than £20. Food was very good.

If I had to criticise something, it would perhaps be the old electric shower mounted over the bath instead of a decent dedicated shower booth.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wilton Court Hotel? Share your experiences!