“Classic Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Palace Pound, Ross-on-Wye HR9 5HZ, England   |
Ranked #8 of 11 hotels in Ross-on-Wye
“Classic Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Fantastic location within easy walking distance of the centre of town. Extremely friendly staff who really go out of their way for you. Large bright rooms. If I had to say anything negative about the royal hotel it would be the noise from the extractor fan in the bathroom, but that would be really picky and didn't detract in any way from our visit.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, General Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Royal Hotel, It is nice to hear the effort the staff go to is noticed and I will be feeding this back to them. I have had a look at the fan is question and indeed have changed it out for a new one.

Thank you so much for such an honest review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the royal hotel in the near future.

459 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This place has the air of decay about it, it,s shabby, run down and tired. My wife and I
checked in late afternoon after a long car journey, no kettle, staff eventually arrive with a kettle. We attempt to fill the kettle with some hot water from the hot water tap, no hot water, in fact no water, that, s not a misprint, ..........no water not a drip. After much huffing, puffing, apologies the manager did book us into another hotel in Ross, .......... What a revelation, what bliss. Pay the extra avoid this place like the plauge.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that the lack of water tainted your short experience of the Royal Hotel. I have spoken to housekeeping and oversights such as no kettle will not happen again. The water was an isolated issue and the taps in the room you were in have now been fixed.I am glad the room we sourced and paid for you was to your liking and I am sorry that you did not want to stay with us!

I hope you do try us again after the full refurb next year where the hotel will certainly not be able to be called shabby (as it is in some areas now)

Kindest regards
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Excellent if you want good food at reasonable prices and friendly staff. Poor in that the central heating had broken down (hopefully a temporary problem but not appreciated in November) and both bedrooms and dining room heated with only inadequate domestic convector heaters. I'll-fitting bathroom window meant a chilly room despite an electric towel rail, and an airlock led to a great deal of noise when flushing wc and the bath vibrated at the same time. (Maybe someone else would have paid extra for this!) I understand the hotel is due to be refurbished in January although a member of staff stated this could be postponed. I would like to return when the refurbishment has been completed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Here at The Royal Hotel all our staff try to make your stay as easy and stress free as possible occasionally situations occur that are outside of our control. We have a fabulous new boiler which will be switched on today, which will keep us all toasty as well as our roaring log fires. Most issues raised will be dealt with in our planned refurbishment although I hope we keep the vibrating bath, it could be a good selling point.
We have an extensive menu offering a variety of different deals including Spice Wednesday, Grill Friday and two main meals for £9.99.
We hope to see you again once our planned refurbishment has been completed.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We arrived Saturday afternoon, to be greeted at reception with a warm smile and a friendly clear explanation about our room and facilities.
We unpacked and headed to the bar to meet our friends who travelled with us.
The bar staff were very friendly and helpful. The soup and sandwich offer was great value and very enjoyable.
The location is great for other bars and restaurants, just a five minute walk.
The choice and quality of breakfast was excellent, the breakfast waiters were a comedy double act with a great sense of humour.
The hotel is being refurbished in January/February 2014 and we will definitely be returning early next year!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind words. We always give clear directions to our rooms to ensure customers can relax as soon as possible after your journey. In the morning giving customers top quality breakfasts is priority to give you a great start to your day. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our staff they will be much appreciated.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Hotel from 8th to 10th November. The welcome was much warmer than the hotel's temperature!!! Unfortunately the central heating boiler was out of action owing to refurbishment. The staff did their best and supplied portable radiators to take the chill off the air. The hotel is very comfortable, but looking quite tired. I am sure the refurbishment will make it THE place to stay in Ross.

We couldn't recommend the staff more, especially Patrick who's sense of humour was brilliant. He had everyone chatting and melted the chilly air instantly!

We will return once the works have been completed to see if we can give The Royal top rating next time!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We like to make all our customers stay as comfortable as possible, both in the rooms and in our more social areas. We have cosy sofas both in the bar area and our lobby. We pride ourselves in having top quality customer service and ensure all our staff help as much as possible in a kind and friendly manner.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was a resedent at the Old English in Ross on Wye for a few weeks, in Oct and found the staff and accommidation well above avarage, and the helpfulness of the staff and friendleness of the staff fantastic and I would like to thank all the team and to mention a few to pass on my thank’s......... Joe the manager and Joe B, Gail, Joide, Brian, Patric…..it was a great time made special by this team….

Room Tip: Chat to Jodie or Gail....my room was great and a great sevice....
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We are always pleased when we have residents for longer period of time as it allows us to get to know you as a person rather than just a customer. Of course I will pass your comments onto the team. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I only stayed one night but will certainly stay again when in the area as long as prices remain reasonable. At £30 for a single I felt it was good value. Everything about it was good, including the friendly staff. My room was spotless and it was lovely to find a bath, as well as a shower. Breakfast was excellent. The hotel is full of charm and character and I don't agree with those who call the décor 'tired'. For me, it was slightly old-fashioned and all the better for it. The entrance hall made the place seem much more upmarket than I'm used to but once heading for my room, along a corridor with twists and turns, steps up and down, unexpected little landings here and there, I relaxed and found it homely and welcoming. I worry that the forthcoming refurbishment will rob it of its charm and force prices up beyond what I can afford.

Room Tip: I had room 7, which has a bath and shower. Some might prefer a better view but I'd guess you'...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for the compliments we ensure all mentions of staff are passed on. The rates we are offering now are fantastic value. After the refurbishment we will hope to see you again so you can see that the hotel is still full of charm and character.

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!